Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6952625

Porcelain carrara in shower and floors, what about tub deck?

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've decided on going with a porcelain carrara tile for my master bathroom floor and inside shower walls, I was going to put it around the tub also.. do you think this is too much?

If it is, what do you recommend? My GC suggests using mosaics around the tub. I can't picture that looking nice.

also, what shower pan flooring style should I use? real marble tiles look really pretty but my GC does not want to mix marble with porcelain.

thank you in advanced!

Upper West Side Residence - Caturla Design, LLC · More Info

Comments (11)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Use it on the tub as well. It will be fine. Repetition is soothing in a bath. Buy the 2" mosaic for your shower floor in the SAME porcelain marble which is MOST LIKELY available. Check with a real tile source in your area, not online..........

User thanked JAN MOYER
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you Jan! I'm going to attach a picture of what I've put together so far

Still looking for more mosaics, I forgot what the name of the tile is called but it's from daltile (found one at marazzi also, very similar)

I'm a bit hesitant since it's not real marble, my inspiration pictures consists of the real thing. I'm sure it will end up clean and classic looking either way (hopefully)
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Completely forgot to ask you

Surrounding the tub, should I look for mosaics or should I do the bigger tile size?

What about the backsplash of the tub?
    Thank you!
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

jennjenx

Your inspiration pic results from the use of one material. I think your lower left tile photo and that mosaic would be fine on the shower floor, and yes you could repeat at the tub walls, but I see no real reason to do that.. You have to remember that part of what you are loving in the photo is the repeat of the marble on the vanity counter top. You are not going to be able to do that. Pick a solid white solid Caesar Stone for counters. Anything else will fight and MISS. Do you need the knee space at the vanity : ) ?

User thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

@jennjenx

Before you firmly decide this, you may want to take a look at Marble Systems at a shop near you. It is EXTREMELY well priced ( the real thing). There are many options, I personally LOVE The Glacier Honed, ( first photo) there is also a Cararra among others, Mosaic are the most costly in any tile, even porcelains, but when it's only the shower floor it's not usually an issue. Their collection is very well priced. So were I you, I'd cost the differential between the porcelains and this and divide that by the number of years you'll enjoy the bath: ) PS...even with this......it's a plain Caesar Stone counter top unless you luck on the perfect slab $$$$$

http://www.marblesystems.com/product/glacier-honed-marble-tiles-12x24/

http://www.marblesystems.com/marble/white/white-carrara-select-polished/

User thanked JAN MOYER
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi jan!

I don't need the knee space but with all the changes I'm making I think i have to keep it like that :(

Marble shower pan floor doesn't sound too bad. I was thinking of going with that if I couldn't find anything nice. I wish i was able to just put marble for the whole floor. That wound be amazing.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    I wouldn't mix the porcelain and real marble. It won't look right. You can do real marble on your floors and tub surround and pick something else for your walls. Maybe a white ceramic or something? If not, just keep the porcelain throughout. The difference in tones between that and the real thing will clash. Pick one or the other.
    User thanked Beth H. :
  • leemiller
    7 years ago
    I agree not to mix real and fake. You can also consider glass tiles for your shower floor. They have some beautiful glass tiles and some are customizable.
    User thanked leemiller
  • User
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jan

You always give good advice. As I did try in the beginning to make my standard master bath work for me, or even tried to look for things to match it, I did think about the years I will be living in the house, estimated the cost and divided that by the years.

Also, thinking of how much time I spend in my bathroom, I believe it will be very well worth it! So thank you!

Now for being all over the place, I can't help it since i'm on a time crunch. My Gc will be working on the floors and bathroom at the same time. I haven't even started on the kitchen countertops yet. I wish I could take my time but that won't be possible since I have a deadline to make. All of course with the help of houzz !! Oh and i did consult with a designer! I do plan on using her but I think mainly for furniture. Since my master bath was pretty simple (flow of one material like you said) and kitchen countertops and backsplash is very similar. I guess I'm trying to save what I can.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

@Jennjenx

The designer, if you like and trust her, have seen her work, etc.............is as or MORE invaluable for "permanent" selections and flow in your home..........as she is for the rest. Which is why I am telling you not to cheap out on a permanent thing such as tile in the bath. Which is why I said the island is hampered by a walk in pantry that really isn't worth the bulk it is presenting and the crunch to an island! You can sell a chair you don't like. The tile IS STUCK ON THE WALL! . Counter tops are as permanent for most.

This entire section is loaded with questions and the disasters that resulted from people "saving" money on pro/local design help! Jeesh! Yes, there are pro's here, we aren't IN your home. We're not privy to the dollar resources. See? Use the help you "sort of " hired! She may even say, as I ..... don't try to renovate a kitchen, a bath, floors, a whole house all at once, unless your resources match the plans, and every consequence to any decision and detail is thought THROUGH. . Oh! I just said that! : )

PS.....it's only "simple" when it is DONE and well done, and you love it.. "Not hating" a thing is a far lesser goal, and not one that a pro considers a standard . Or a great result for a client.

User thanked JAN MOYER
Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living