Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kendralh

Need help/direction for open concept remodel!

kendralh
7 years ago

I posted this on before and after, before realizing that I'm looking for advice to get me to the after!

I plan on living in the house for another 3-5 years, possibly more. It's 1600 sqft, 3 bd, 2-1/2 ba, 2 car garage, tri level.

The home in general still needs doors and trim throughout, bedrooms (3) de-popcorned and re-carpeted, and the master bath/closet is terribly awkward and could use re-arranging (but it's functional as-is and was recently updated right before I bought it so it seems like a waste).

So far, I've focused on the main living area and making it open and up to date.

Still not decided on what exactly needs to happen next.

Started with a home that had all sorts of unnecesssary walls (none load bearing). The previous owners owned to home from when it was built in 1984 to when I purchased it two years ago and took fantastic care of it.

1st: tore out the walls in the main floor to creat a completely open concept living space (included patching the ceiling, scraping the popcorn ceiling off, retexturing, paint, and new hardwood floors throughout)...this was a lot harder than anticipated. Also, doing this required me to no longer have an entry way closet. I ended up putting a sofa table/ shoe and mail storage and hanging coat rack right inside the door, which actually works pretty great! My next home WILL have a proper closet, though :p

2nd: redesigned kitchen with minor modifications that wouldn't require moving any wiring or plumbing. I hated how the lower corner cabinet was wasted and there really werent any "good" places to put things.

3rd: custom cabinets and island made by a family friend (SSS Cabinets out of Hayden, ID-- wonderful!), new appliances, and granite counter tops.

Still left: finishing the patch of the backsplash area behind the stove in the kitchen, installing baseboards/trim, replacing doors, and the rest of the furniture (particularly dining table and a different liquor cabinet)! Opinions are totally welcome and appreciated. I'm thinking probably just paint on the backsplash? Not quite sure what else I'd do. Also, white trim (flat, like a 1X6 or something) and solid wood doors stained darkish. I think? Maybe?

This is what it looked like when I bought it:

on the left is the front door. in the top right corner is the kitchen.

straight ahead is kitchen, to the right is the living room

this is what youd see when you walked in from the front foor

I'll attach more current photos in a comment :)

Any advice would be great!

Comments (3)