Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kattie89

Valances: yay or nay?

kattie89
7 years ago
What are your opinion on these valances? If you like the idea of them at all, are these particular ones too dark and fussy? Any other ideas?? We don't need privacy....

Comments (40)

• leelee
    7 years ago

N-O. No they distract from the modern sofa. Too frilly.

MOve the rug so the right side legs are on the rug about 10 inches. There's too much rug on the left. It might be better to turn the rug so the length runs with the longest part of the sofa.

• kattie89
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @Flo- the room seemed kind of "cold" when the windows were bare....any ideas to warm it up without looking dated?
    @leelee good catch! Minutes before snapping this photo we pulled the sofa about 8" out from the wall because it was too close, but we couldn't move the run ourselves!!! Thank you!!!

Would love more ideas on what else to do since these valances don't seem to be a crowd pleaser!
  • leelee
    7 years ago

Possibly go for a coffee table that has more contrast in fabric and design instead of trying to repeat the sofa.

• leelee
    7 years ago

Add at least one large live plant near the windows.

• leelee
    7 years ago

You have a great place to use an arc light instead of the table lamp.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

I think valances are helpful in hiding hardware and shades for those of us who do not like them to show or like the added softness and color that fabric can add to a room. They are not considered "in" right now, though one can use a roman shade, faux roman shade or tie up shade and get the same effect as a valance and be more "on trend". I have a cottage / french country style - both which use valances so I can get away with it and I am not particularly concerned about trends.

I don't mind your valances, but if this were my room, I would use something with a bit more color - maybe the green (gray green? - computer monitors are unreliable for color) in a roman shade or faux roman shade if I wanted to hide shades.

• Tina
    7 years ago
    Nah
  • User
    7 years ago

No

• Coco Stickley
    7 years ago

If you like the look of the fabric, you might consider adding some curtains, which you can simply keep open. You could choose fabrics that are heavier or have rich tones to warm it up. Plus, if you hang them right, they could make the windows look like they go wall-to-wall!

• leelee
    7 years ago

A more substantial end table. Not too big but with some weight. Not spindly

• leelee
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Remove the valances and add simple drapes. That will also give give height to your room. Valances bring height down.

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

NAY !

• kattie89
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Just for fun, this is what the room looked like when we bought the house a couple months ago!!! (Not my chairs, lol!)
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I would pull the sectional away from the windows more, about 18" and adjust rug along with that move. Then behind the sofa put a long sofa table with a couple of lamps. This will break up the wide "span" of windows and create a interesting "view". Then as suggested one large solid leaf type plant would soften things up along with some different textured pillows. Perhaps a Faux Fur throw for one end of the sectional for another texture. Some lamps to consider might be

Mosaic Table Lamp · More Info
    Something like this that has more curves to balance out the straight lines you have going right now.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I will try a little "mock-up" for you. You have brought the room a long way and we are just tweaking so realize that.

• wilson7200z
    7 years ago
    I have to also vote no on the valances. I like what you did with the wood trim around window. I think some type of blinds would look good and work better with your sofa.
  • kattie89
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you! I love all of the ideas! I need help tweaking, please!
    My limitation in moving the sectional is the fireplace opposite the window wall. Right now I have about 24" from the edge of the rug to the hearth, and need to be able to walk around.
  • kattie89
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    There is about 12-15" behind the couch to the window right now
  • Christy Reves
    7 years ago

There is a conflict of style and shape with the couch back and bottom of the valances. If you like the valances go with something with a straight hemline and without fullness. Nay on those particular valances.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

fam rm · More Info
    I pretended there was a sofa table behind the sofa and put two lamps on it. that breaks up the visual of the large bank of blank windows. Then at the end, I put a floor lamp instead of the small table and small lamp. I would remove those. Then I put a more "functional" pop up coffee table with drawers. I noticed a little farm truck toy near the end of the sofa, so I figure you have a little one around and we always need places for them to tuck things and play without major damage! The top of this table pops up, has storage under and drawers. I think with some changes like these the windows will not look as stark and your eye gets drawn to other items of interest.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I just saw your post and with that much space right now behind the sofa, you can put a sofa table back there. I think this would be a big improvement in your look. You are the final judge however, since we aren't there. As an aside, I would also re-style your little bookshelf. I realize the Christmas stuff is out right now, but I would minimize what I put on those shelves so they don't distract too much. Could you post a pick taken from behind the sofa toward the fireplace? That would be helpful too.

• kattie89
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you!!! I love the lamps! I wonder if the space I currently have is big enough to fit some back there...I hope so!
    I love the coffee table too! You're right, there are a bunch of little ones around here, and coffee tables scare me...I have to stick with soft and safe for now. :-( but I do not like the one we currently have. It isn't what I pictured when I ordered it.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I understand, with little ones, soft is good. Perhaps you could reupholster it in a brighter fabric? After this one gets messed up! lol

• kattie89
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here's another angle....
  • PRO
    Shaker Interiors
    7 years ago
    I love Flo's lamp suggestion. I'd remove current valances and install bamboo (or other natural fiber) shades which will bring a nice organic element to the room and give you privacy and light control when you want it.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Westrow Table, Antique Ebony/Natural · More Info
    this would be a great sofa table for you. It is classy, but not too fancy, so even though it will be hidden, the length is great and the width is great.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

that table is pricey, but I posted it to give you size namely length and width. There are loads of options out there. I like the simple lines and no glass!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

What a beautiful room you have created. Very nice job. We are now just putting "icing on the cake!"

• kattie89
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I appreciate all of your help!!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

My pleasure!

• tatts
    7 years ago

Oh, the valances--neigh!

• lynartist
    7 years ago
    No to the valances, yes to the sofa table and lamps! Here are some textured solar shades.
  • Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

or woven shades to add texture

• bargainhunter
    7 years ago
    I vote no to the valances. I like that the window frames are now white but wouldn't have added the heavy moulding to the top. Perhaps faux roman shades would suit these windows. Your home looks lovely.
  • jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    These valances are too fussy, and bear no relation to the style of the furniture. Research window/drape/blind solutions.
  • wardens
    7 years ago
    No, they do nothing for the room. How about some natural wood shades, would warm up the room.
  • kattie89
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Update: valances are long gone, and my husband and I built a sofa table tonight! 12' long to fit behind the couch! Now to style the sofa table!! Thank you everyone for your help!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Fantastic! Love that. Pictures please. Now you are on to the fun part!