Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raymondranch

This is my view from my kitchen sink

raymondranch
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

How can I improve this living room? The first pic is what I see when I am working in the kitchen, which is where I spend a lot of my time. I feel like it is pretty Hodge podge looking! I feel like the rug fights with the birch tree pic? Several people have said it doesn't need to be symmetrical on the walls but this looks lopsided with the large pic and the smaller mirror. I have also read that there is no need to decorate the high ledge but it feels like it needs something! And then there are the coffee/end tables. Not sure if the lamps are too tall or if it's the tables but we get major glare when sitting. Advice needed and very much appreciated!

Comments (50)

• apaquin25
    7 years ago

Can you please try to post your pictures again? It doesn't look like they added. Thanks!

• raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for letting me know, I just tried again, are the pictures showing up now?

• apaquin25
    7 years ago

Yep got them!

raymondranch thanked apaquin25
  • apaquin25
    7 years ago

The birch art is a little more contemporary than the carpet. I wouldn't say they fight, but I think I like it better than I like the rug. The rug is harder and more expensive to change out, but it seems a little too formal for your furniture, which is very laid-back and casual.

Also, I like symmetry, and that would drive me nuts, but I'm a little OCD about certain things. What about a taller house plant on the left side instead of the mirror? That would bring in balance, but without being too matchy.

I don't think your lamps are too tall, but what about trying a different color shade? A light gray or beige-ish color might work better for the space.

raymondranch thanked apaquin25
  • suzyq53
    7 years ago

This is good layout for a floating sectional with a great looking back. Coffee table, side table, sofa table? One lamp on the side table, One floor lamp. And a chaise with ottoman You can get three wall plaques for above the built-in. Your mirror isn't working there. You need something similar in size to the art that allows the wall color to show through. Could be a candle thing or an oversized clock. Palliser has some great sectional options that you can customize and scads of fabric choices. Also available with recliners, drink holders, chaise.

raymondranch thanked suzyq53
  • PRO
    BC Studio
    7 years ago

I think the birch painting is too large for the wall on which you are displaying it, that is part of what is making it look "off" I would suggest some smaller shelves with small frames/accessories displayed on them.

I would go with a more neutral colored rug, light on the pattern.

As far as the top ledge of your cabinet, something up there would definitely help the space feel more purposeful. Ideally, I would have custom built-ins made to fill it out, with just a small gap in between. But if that is not in your budget, you could look into small planters with leafy greens to help fill out the space.

raymondranch thanked BC Studio
  • raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you to all who have commented so far. I am thinking about each reply and trying to decide what to try first! I have been struggling with this room for three years, it is really nice to get some outside input!

• flopsycat1
    7 years ago

Overall, the colors are a little lifeless and there's no real focal point. As mentioned, there are too many "things." Is it so cod that you need blankets/throws on every chair? Try removing some and reassess.

raymondranch thanked flopsycat1
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Scale and balance are issues here, and I find the FP location very strange. Why isn't it the focal point of this room? Looking at your last pic, the vignette in the area behind the lounge chair is off; the mirror is much too large and elegant for the little cart/table under it. Pix should be no wider than 75% of the furniture they hang above. I like the tree pic but is it too large for any wall I see in this room. Part of the busy issue is the ornate backs of the barstools. Maybe switch them for something backless that doesn't jump into your foreground view from the kitchen. As for tables and lamps, they look too skinny to stand up to the dark, heavy furniture. Tables should arrive within 1" above or below chair arms, and a lamp should bring the overall height of the two pieces to 58-64" above the floor. You need some more substantial tables and chunky lamps that can stand up to the seating. Have you tried the sofa facing TV and the two chairs where the sofa is? Then angle the third chair in the corner by the tree art for a quiet reading corner that still faces the other seats for interaction. Any plans for adding fabric to the room? If you do keep the tree art there, consider that orangy or burnt sienna color from it for a new rug and or fabric at the windows.

raymondranch thanked decoenthusiaste
  • raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think that is three votes for switching the sofa and the chairs, so definitely will try that. I had it that way before and changed it because I thought it made the room more open and I wasn't staring at the back of the sofa. I know that the remedy for that is a sofa table but there isn't a ton of room between the furniture and the barstools?

I agree with the end tables and lamps being too skinny and the white shades have bugged me from day one. Should I stay with the dark wood tone to work with the furniture?

I knew the mirror and table under it were "off", just didn't know why. Which piece should go, the mirror or the table?

The fireplace is rather oddly placed, it is more of a room divider than anything. I never know how to style the top of it! Would you say the "focal point" of the room is the tv?

Now I need to decide whether the birch art stays or goes. It is 40 x 60 and I thought with the eleven foot ceiling I needed something that large? Definitely easier to find (and pay for) something smaller like the size of the brown mirror. Would you say that I should go with two paired pieces one on each side of the built in? Or try a plant instead of the mirror? It would have to be a pretty large plant and would block the path? Something tells me that floating shelves on each side are not going to help me with the "busy" factor.

I know that hubby won't be on board with building in the ledge, but I see why that would be good. I like the three plaques idea or the plant idea.

Thanks again to all!

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Does the mirror or the table look like it fits in the adjoining rooms? If that's a foyer, it is supposed to reflect you, your style and anticipate what will be found in the rooms off the foyer. Do you have another room where the birch would work? I like the colors, but it is too big. If you love it, try putting a bench under it (25% wider than the art) and a plant where the mirror is. I prefer the other chair be there myself. You can't go wrong with a reading spot in any room, IMO. Move the furniture first and lets see.

raymondranch thanked decoenthusiaste
  • gustaruygers
    7 years ago
    I would remove the mirror as it serves no purpose and is very plain. Replace with art.
    I wonder if removing the doors on the top part of the TV cabinet would open up the area a bit and soften the closed in square box feeling?
    I would also change the cabinet hardware as they look more like they belong in a kitchen
    Think about replacing the rug with a sisal rug to lighten up the room.
    raymondranch thanked gustaruygers
  • raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I switched the couch and chairs. Can't move the recliner with its swivel base by myself. It's alot of brown furniture I know.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

I like it better like that. Wish you didn't need the extra huge chair and side table.

• raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I know what you are saying, it is a beast. I really need the seating though. It looks less cluttered without those lamps but my husband and I would like to be able to read in here, and we have a college student that does homework in here also.

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Consider selling the big chair and getting a chaise to tuck in that corner. Would make a nice place to stretch out with a coffee and a book.

• Horizons
    7 years ago
    Could you move the recliner into the corner to the right of the TV unit? Make it the designated reading chair, the other seats for TV watching. The birch picture (lovely, by the way) would have to come off that wall.
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

I suggested that too Horizons, so assume it is too big since it didn't get moved along with the other seating.

• raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Will try moving the recliner tomorrow when I have help. It has an awkward base and its a two person job. I rather like the idea of a chaise though! Maybe in a fabric?

• jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    The rug and the furniture style are fighting. The whites in the room are quite harsh. I would be tempted to try the sofa opposite the TV, and the rearrange the chairs.
    raymondranch thanked jbtanyderi
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Much better :) I think the third chair or a replacement will look really good in the corner, too.

I have an idea for your ledge if I may jump in?

At Christmas time, fill four or five large hurricane vases with colourful glass balls (antique would be brilliant if you have/can obtain them). Nestle battery powered twinkle lights or tea lights in the greenery. You can get remote controlled battery powered candles, too. The rest of the year the same vases can hold electric candles, flower arrangements, bare or Autumn leaf branches.

raymondranch thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • hiluhilu
    7 years ago
    The room feels so much better and more serene with the sofa and chairs moved. I second the suggestion to move the recliner into the corner where the birch art is now to create a cozy reading area. Are you open to changing the coffee table? It's one more brown piece of furniture and one more rectangular thing. Between the heavy furniture and the dark colors, the room reads a little masculine. I'd consider a larger round coffee table to soften up the look or an upholstered cocktail ottoman. For the lamps, consider drum shades in a natural linen. For the top of the TV unit, I'd find a few larger pieces to add texture and interest and soften the edges of the unit. I'd go with something casual and sculptural, such as a shallow woven basket leaned up against the wall or even an antique (-looking) tobacco basket if you want to go more rustic. Go large and few in numbers (3 or 5) rather than adding lots of little things. If you stick with the rug, try to find some coordinating pillows and/or throws that pull out colors from the rug and add consistency. As to wall art, I'd make the other changes first and live with them for a while before deciding what, if anything, is still needed. Good luck!
    raymondranch thanked hiluhilu
  • raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK the beast has been moved! I can see how the balance of the room has been improved! Can I honestly say that for "real life" my family will want to see the tv or the chair won't get much use? If I used a chaise would it need to be tucked in that corner, facing into the room to look best? I have been thinking about which piece fits our house in the foyer and the answer might be neither. They are pieces brought from our last home, as is most everything. The room I love the most in the house has to be the eat in kitchen area. It just feels right to me. The formal dining area is rarely used. The furniture is my grandma's so it has sentimental value. I have considered replacing the table and chairs and keeping the hutch. The chairs definitely need to go. But wanted to focus on LR first.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

When we moved, I fit all our furniture into the house and I thought I'd done a great job. After two years, everything had been replaced. None of it really fit. The new stuff is so much better in the space.

Just a note.

Love your kitchen and I think the family room is looking better.

raymondranch thanked auntthelma
  • suzyq53
    7 years ago

Yes the huge chair is much better out of the walkway. A floor lamp and small drink table there and you'll have your reading spot. If you find you don't use it then you'll know what to cull.

• raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You know, with the swivel base it may still work for tv, I am going with it for now! Now what? I need tables and lamps. Any suggestions?

• raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So many of you have said that the rug is not going with the furniture, that it is formal vs. casual. So what makes a rug casual? Evidently not a floral pattern :)

I think alot of what is helping the room is not having the lamps. However, we do need light in here. I have a few suggestions for linen shades on lamps, which I think would be MUCH better than the white shades. How can I add lighting without cluttering this back up?

Thank you Aunt Thelma, I love my kitchen too!

Lindsy, I have a light source on top of the cabinet that can be plugged in from down below. After using lights up there for xmas I have decided I will definitely work in light up there year round!

Hilululu, I am thinking about the coffee table. Never thought of a large round one! I like ottomans but really like a hard surface to put stuff on. I like your basket idea, hubby not so much. Ugh. I had this rug listed on craigslist and never got a nibble. Will have to try again!

Suzyq53, Can you believe I helped pick out that chair? I knew it was a mistake as soon as it came into the room. Should have culled it right then!

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

My husband would kill for that chair. He loved his lazyboy. And it was really comfy. When we moved there wasn't room. Oops.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Personally I like your rug. This can be a casual look too--think hunting lodge! I actually think that what looks "off" with it is the honey oak, but it's a minor point. I would not recommend re-staining unless you're up for a major New Year's project :)

To make an ottoman coffee table work, add a pretty tray as a landing sopt for cups of coffee and glasses of wine. To give the look a test run, toss your plaid throw over the chair's ottoman and scoot it over to the couch.

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

I think the rug and furniture are fine together. I'm not crazy about it with the birch tree art, though.

The fake greenery on top of the built in needs to come down. If you want to stay traditional, put two different sized ginger jars up there, or three interesting plates on stands, or a couple of framed photos.

raymondranch thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Leona Mozes Photography
    7 years ago

There's a lot of wood in your rooms with very little visual relief. Would you be willing to paint the tv unit to offset some of the wood in the kitchen and dining room? If the majority of your feature walls are all wood, then I think you should have some lighter (painted) furniture to balance everything. From the photos, everything seems a little heavy and dark. Definately paint the wood door and window trims for starters. Change your drapery to closely match your wall colour. I think it would feel less hodgepodge and far brighter if you backdrop was a uniform/neutral colour. Everything (walls/furniture) seem to be in competition with each other. If you neutralize your backdrop, then your furnishings and accessories will have a greater impact, and you'll be able to add pops of colour without having all the wood steal the show. Keep us posted! Best, Leona

raymondranch thanked Leona Mozes Photography
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago

I also think the color of your lampshades is fine.

raymondranch thanked groveraxle
  • raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmmm. More to think about. Groveraxle, the greenery came down today, it was part of my Christmas decorations :) I do think the art and rug clash. Money wise it would make sense to get rid of the art and stick with the rug. I have never really loved the rug but it was special order and couldn't be returned. I have made expensive mistakes. The two pics definitely look better than the mirror. Would you say what I have going is traditional? I guess it kind of is, I don't want it to feel stuffy or grandma.

Leona, I think you are right about all the wood. I had suggested to my husband to paint out the tv built in and he is not on board at all. I can push a little harder if I really think its the way to go! I guess I had thought to go with the creamy white color of the front door? But you think I should paint the door a different color? What would you suggest? I have tried different drapery in the dining room and nothing looked right, I will definitely start looking for something in the wall color, I think that could work beautifully. You have given me a lot to think about.

Lindsey, you are quite possibly the only person I have heard say they liked my rug! LOL I should clarify, I like ottomans to put my feet on but I really don't want one for a coffee table. I have been there and done that, the tray on top never really feels that stable to me. I will say it looks very cool though! Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me figure this out!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

:-D

• tfitz1006
    7 years ago

How about you put the rug in your dining room and get something more casual for the living room, like a cool arts and crafts rug?

raymondranch thanked tfitz1006
  • grapefruit1_ar
    7 years ago

I have to say that the window blinds are the first thing that jumped out at me. Do they have to stay? If so, I would add fabric curtains/panels. The room will never look complete with the blinds as window treatments. The changes that you have made look great! I like the two pics rather than the mirror.

raymondranch thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Gargamel
    7 years ago

I like what you've done so far. What about removing the Birch painting and replacing it with 2 pics like on the other side of the unit. Maybe move the Birch to the hallway area and remove the table underneath it so it's just the painting? Maybe the table is sentimental though? What about having nothing on top of the unit ...right now my eye goes straight up to those jars. (I like your carpet too)

• raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tfitz, I have put the rug in the dining area before, it needs one there for sure. Unfortunately, I like it even less there. It is a little big there also, I think 8 x 10 will work better there.

Grapefruit, I know the cellular shades are not good. I was considering putting up the roman shades that are in the kitchen area? The shades really help in the winter for blocking some of the cold nighttime air which is why they are still there. The roman shades look better but are not as energy efficient!

Gargamel, I could try that. The hallway wall is only 44" and the art is 40" so it probably is going to be too large. Table not sentimental it could go. The top of the unit is a problem. I see it all day from the kitchen and it feels like it needs something. Everything I have tried has come back down. I think I will try the three wall plaques, or plants, or the basket idea from above. Another vote for the rug! It's the color of it that bothers me the most, I didn't see the purple in the smaller version that I brought home to try out.

Thanks again to all!

• Gargamel
    7 years ago

BTW you have a very nice house ... It looks cozy

raymondranch thanked Gargamel
  • raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Would this coffee table work in this room? Or would it stick out like a sore thumb?

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

Try it. Maybe the lighter color will help.

• raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was hoping maybe it would tie in the honey oak built in? I wish I could paint or stain it but am really afraid to do that since the whole house is done in it.

• Gargamel
    7 years ago

What about drywalling above the unit to close it in?

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

This new table is a much more interesting shape and style than your current. If it's a good price, I agree, try it! If it doesn't work, resell it or you could try painting.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

As far as painting the unit goes, if you paint it out in the wall colour it won't matter so much about the rest of the trim in the house. It will just look like wall.

• raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah the coffee table is really cheap and comes with an end table too! I suspect that the top is going to fight with the rug, (why not, everything else does :) but I agree about the shape. I am going to give it a try.

I can totally see that unit sort of disappearing if I paint it the wall color, which would be great!

What happens if you change the wall color? Is a person locked in to repainting the built in any time you repaint? I am thinking about the resale value of this home down the road?

I wonder if having that recessed top helps give the room a bit more depth? If it were flat all the way up would it make the room feel smaller? Perphaps it isn't such a bad thing?

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Yes, a person would be locked in to that.

But think about when you moved in. You want to create your vision of the perfect home. You will change it as needed to acheive that. So will the next family, whether you paint now or not. And you're sick of the look now; it's not going to get fresher over time!!

• raymondranch
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's not going to get fresher over time. Ha, so true. So, I don't LOVE my paint color but can't imagine repainting this whole area. So painting the built in that particular color would be hard. What about painting it to match the creamy white of the front door?

• Gargamel
    7 years ago

Why don't you get rid of the unit and get a nice console with closed storage underneath?

raymondranch thanked Gargamel