0

Finishing Touches in the Dining Room

Karen D

AFTER

Dining Room Updated · More Info

BEFORE

Dining Room-Before & After · More Info

I've decided to start a new and updated thread, so that everyone who was following this long and drawn out dilemma can finally see the changes made and can help with the finishing touches in this room. Thanks to all of you for your help along the way. I couldn't have completed this project without the help and support of all of you!

I've finally worked over to the other side of the room where I'm trying to figure out what kind of window treatments would look best.

Here is the other (window) side of the room.

Dining Room Updated · More Info

Last photo from a different angle

Dining Room Updated · More Info

Comments (13K)
  • printesa

zaz I might have made a mistake saying peonies..the dark pink ones look like the small peonies..they might large carnations, but they look so much like the small peonies I see in stores sometimes

• zazfuzzroc

Oh..lol That's okay Printesa, and here I was getting all excited. :) Either way, they're really pretty.

I just bought some more though, and an orchid, I liked the white pot it was in. :) Let's see how long before I kill this one... lol ;)

• printesa

zaz, she did mention that she saw some at WF so I assumed that those were it :)

You'll have the orchids for a while:) I did have one orchid that didn't last much at all..Usually, they last for about 3 months and then the blooms start to fade away..This last one maybe lasted a month and even that one was so and so..It's possible that the flowers were on their last days when I received it..

• zazfuzzroc

Ok, I figured I might have missed a pic/comment. :)

I tell ya Printesa, I ♥ orchids, but the potted ones do not love me...lol If I had one for 3 months, I would faint...lol

• printesa

zaz, you found the secret for long lasting peonies. I wish I could do that. We need the zaz touch for the peonies:)

• Linda

Karen I love this pic, Trey is always so photogenic- he’s adorable.....this pic could be from a magazine!

• Linda

I just love this pic Zaz, it really does look like it’s straight from a magazine-it’s perfect-and that table....drrrrrrooool

• Linda

If I’ve missed any lovely comments about the tree and goodies-I’m sorry-you guys are all amazing ❤️

• Linda

I think next year I will do something similar to this. (Great pic from Mark)

• Linda

Mark I hope your niece and nephew are doing ok ❤️

• Linda

Karen, still waiting on my pic of Felix

(tapping my feet! Lol)

i hope mum and baby are doing well

❤️

• Linda

Zaz did your balsam Hill baubles arrive? : )

• zazfuzzroc

Thank you Linda... :) xo Btw, for the display Marktastic posted....HG has that tray, I know... because I have it. Lol :) Keep an eye out if you like it... plus, the bottom is mirrored. :)

• zazfuzzroc

Yep Linda, gonna post on my thread soon... :)

• zazfuzzroc

I love them btw, glad I ordered. :)

• Linda

Zaz I had the tray too he he he but I didn’t bring it with me! : o

• Linda

My pups look soooo photogenic he he he

• zazfuzzroc

Lol Linda... :)

And yes, the puppies are adorable! :)

• K

Hi Linda. So nice to see you and thanks for your sweet compliment about Trey and my table. He really is quite the character. Your pups look so realistic. Wow!

Thanks for asking about mom and baby, too. They are both doing so well. I went for a visit yesterday. Here is a pic of Baby Felix. His tiny little fingers are wrapped around his mommy's thumb. Isn't it amazing just how long his finger nails are considering he's just a newborn? I thought this pic was just beautiful.

Hi Printesa :-) You're right. I didn't post any peonies. One of the containers looks a bit like peonies. I posted 2 silver containers with carnations early yesterday, Zaz. You may have missed it :-) I've noticed there is often a delay in pictures on Houzz. Love that pic that Glsch shared, too!

Have a doctor's appointment, so I'm getting ready to head out the door. Will catch up later this afternoon :-)

Happy Monday, everyone!

• ladma
    I love tiny baby hands! Precious.
  • zazfuzzroc

Sweet Karen, have a great day.... :)

The flowers are sweet too... :)

• printesa

Karen, the little hand is so cute:) I'm glad that the baby and the mom are doing well.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

• glschisler
    Oh so tiny he is :)
  • glschisler
    Linda, are those puppies real? They look real :))
  • zazfuzzroc

Nope Glschisler... those are Linda's fakes, nice right? :)

• TraceyE

Such a sweet pic of baby Felix’s fingers so tiny so precious

• Linda

I love the Felix pic....those cute little tottie fingers are soooo delicious! ❤️

• 2wiseguys4u

Good morning Bella and all :)

Oh my goodness those little fingers on baby Felix are too cute for words. When ever any of my siblings had children I couldn't resist kissing their little heads. There is nothing that smells as beautiful as a new born baby.

My nephew is doing great and my niece is still struggling but we continue to pray for her. Thank you for asking Linda. Your puppies look real. Will you be getting any pets now that you have settled down in your new home ?

I bought so much baking this year but I really want to bake something other than cupcakes and I'm not sure what. Anyone have something fast, fun, delicious and easy to make ? :)

• Linda

Awww bless Mark, Your poor niece....life can be so unfair at times ❤️

Can’t help with baking ideas Mark.....I don’t do ‘ingredients‘ lol

No pets for me....I have asthma...which is annoyed by pet hair (dust and feathers) lol.....I will love our Houzz pets from afar! : )

Glschisler.....I do love my ‘faux’ pets.....I have 3......salt, vinegar and sauce are their names....known as salty, vinny and saucy! When kids visit they love them!

Karen I hope your doc appt went well.

: )

• K

Thanks for checking on me Linda. You're so sweet :-) My doctor's appointment went fine. I just ended up going into work yesterday for a teacher who is out sick with flu-like symptoms. Linda, I agree that those little tottie fingers are so delicious. Is “tottie” one of those words that you and Tracey use? he he he

Good morning, Marco and thanks. I agree that nothing smells as beautiful as a new born baby. I'm sorry to hear that your niece continues to struggle. Agree that life can be so unfair...so many challenges to overcome! Sending prayers your way.

I don't do much baking, but I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions around here :-)

• K

Hi Printesa & Zaz :-) Aren't those tiny fingers so sweet and cute?!? Hope y'all also had a great day yesterday.

Thanks Tracey and Glsch. I think I'm going to have that picture developed and put it in a frame for Mommy and Grand-Mere. I think it will make a nice and very special gift :-)

Yesterday was a bit hectic. After my doc's appointment, I got a call from a very sick teacher with flu-like symptoms. She sounded terrible! Going in this morning, and will probably be subbing for the next few days.

Loading up on the Vitamin C and Zinc and heading out the door. Have a great day, everyone! Will pop in later during the week to play catch up around here :-)

• TraceyE

Karen glad your appointment went well :) Good plan to dose up on Vit C and Zinc- not a fun time to get sick!

Such a beautiful idea to frame the pic- very very special!

• TraceyE

Hi Marco, funny you mentioned cupcakes ED was baking yesterday

• K

Love those cupcakes, Tracey :-) I have a feeling you have lots of fabulous baking ideas. Just read your very detailed list of foods for the holidays. Sounds delicious. Will be back later to read more carefully. Have a fantastic day :-)

• zazfuzzroc

Hi Guys!

Omgoodness Tracey... those cupcakes are beautiful! Tell ED I'm a fan! I love cupcakes... which is why I rarely make them. Lol

• zazfuzzroc

Have a great day K, keep the germs at a distance... ;)

• TraceyE

If you like ginger (I love❤️ it)

Sticky gingerbread

Makes 20 Squares

150g unsalted butter

125g dark muscovado sugar

200g golden syrup

200g black treacle or molasses

2 teaspoons finely grated ginger

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ground cloves

250ml full-fat milk

2 large organic eggs, beaten to mix

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, dissolved in

2 x 15ml tablespoons warm water

300g plain flour

❄ Preheat the oven to 170C/gas mark 3 and line a roasting tin or ovenproof dish (about 30cm x 20cm x 5cm) with baking paper.

❄ In a saucepan, melt the butter over a lowish heat along with the sugar, syrup, treacle, fresh and ground gingers, cinnamon and cloves.

❄ Take off the heat, and add the milk, eggs and dissolved bicarbonate of soda in its water.

❄ Measure the flour into a bowl and pour in the liquid ingredients, beating until well mixed. It will be a very liquid batter, this is part of what makes it sticky later.

❄ Pour it into the prepared tin and bake for 45-60 minutes until risen and firm on top. Try not to overcook, as it is nicer a little stickier, and anyway will carry on cooking as it cools.

❄ Transfer the tin to a wire rack and let the gingerbread cool in the tin before cutting into 20 squares, or however you wish to slice it.

• K

Thanks, Zaz. You have a great day, too! Thinking about wearing one of these....

Your sticky gingerbread looks and sounds delicious, Tracey :-)

• TraceyE

Ohh and these chocolate cookies are fab

Makes: approx. 24

BISCUITS

• 250 grams soft butter
    • 150 grams caster sugar
    • 40 grams cocoa powder
    • 300 grams plain flour
    • ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder

FESTIVE TOPPING

• 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    • 175 grams icing sugar
    • 60 millilitres boiling water (from a kettle)
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • christmas sprinkles

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C Fan/gas mark 3/325ºF and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
    2. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl and, when you have a light, soft, whipped mixture, beat in the 40g / one-third cup cocoa powder (sieving if it is lumpy) and, when that’s mixed in, beat in the flour with the bicarb and baking powder. Or just put everything in the processor and blitz, if you prefer.
    3. This mixture is very soft and sticky and it might be easiest to form the biscuits wearing disposable gloves, so pinch off pieces about the size of a large walnut, roll them into balls, then slightly flatten into fat discs as you place them, well spaced, on your baking sheet; you should get about 12 on at a time.
    4. Bake each batch for 15 minutes; even though the biscuits won’t feel as if they’ve had enough time, they will continue to cook as they cool. They will look slightly cracked on top.
    5. Remove the baking sheet to a cold surface and let it sit for 15 minutes before transferring the biscuits to a wire rack, with a sheet of newspaper under it (to catch drips while topping them).
    6. To make the topping, put the cocoa powder, icing sugar, water and vanilla extract into a small saucepan and whisk over a low heat until everything’s smoothly combined. Take off the heat for 10 minutes.
    7. When the biscuits are cool, drizzle each one with a tablespoonful of chocolate glaze – to glue the sprinkles on in a minute – using the back of the spoon to help spread the mixture, though an uneven dribbly look is part of their charm.
    8. After you’ve iced 6 biscuits, scatter with some of the Christmas sprinkles, and continue thus until all the biscuits are topped. If you ice them all before sprinkling, you will find the cocoa “glue” has dried and the sprinkles won’t stick on.
  • zazfuzzroc

Lol K! :D

Sounds yummy Tracey... and that candy cane cup is adorable! I want it! Lol

• TraceyE

Haha Karen- you would have to get a Christmas designed one :)

• TraceyE

Hi Zaz- I love it as well :) Crate and barrel have some straight sided ones :)

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/candy-canes-drinking-glasses/f85992

• Linda

I love ginberbread cake with thick icing on top... drrrrroooollll.

• zazfuzzroc

Thank you Tracey... no little ones, but grabbed some tall for a strawberries and cream dessert. :D Should be here b4 Christmas! :D

Xo

• TraceyE

Haha Linda, here you go :)

• TraceyE

Well done Zaz- they will be so cute -fingers crossed they arrive in time :)

• glschisler
    Mark, lately I’ve been baking brownies in various ways. I plan to give the Brownie Turtle Bites in tins to the staff as Christmas gifts. The Santa brownie hats are made with vanilla frosting to hold the strawberry. :)
  • glschisler
    I also use Zaz’s snickerdoodle recipe for cookies, using a box mix of cookie dough.
  • K

So many pics of delicious treats and more recipes! Your Brownie Turtle Bites look so yummy and cute, Glsch. I'm sure the staff will love them ;-)

Ooh, the cookies also look delicious, Tracey and the drinking glasses from Crate and Barrel are adorable. Lol about the mask. I definitely should have a Xmas designed one made so I can wear it to school this week :-)

Thought you might get a kick out of that kitty pic with the mask, Zaz :-)

Hi Ladma :-) Just seeing your comment about Baby Felix :-) I bet you see lots of baby hands with your grandchildren. Hope you will be spending time with them during the holidays :-)

• Linda

Tracey that’s not fair-i can‘t reach the cake......ohhhhhh it looks sooooo delicious : o

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)