Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkotov

Walnut Solid wood on drawers' fronts or veneer? Please help!

Denitza Kotov
11 years ago
Cabinet maker is asking what I want for the drawers faces? Solid wood ( then we'll have battens inside ) or veneer?
If the doors are solid - can we have veneer for the drawers? How big are those battens? I guess I am afraid - if they are different they won't match.

My doors are flat full overlay clear finish walnut.

Please share your thoughts - thank you!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Sterl Kitchens Co. Inc.
    11 years ago
    If you use the veneer will the edge banding be a veneer or something like a 3mm solid edge? Veneer can save alot of money and basicly all warpage issues. A solid edge should avoid much of the durability issues associated with veneers.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you! I am not sure... I will ask
  • Brenda
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    No way! ... We are doing a kitchen remodel right now as well, and we are also having a cabinet maker make walnut flat full overlay cabinet doors and drawers for us. We have selected horizontal graining veneer for all drawers and doors. I can't remember all the terminology the cabinet maker used, but we wanted the graining to be continuous from cabinet to cabinet, so they ordered "bookend matched" veneers, or some such thing. And as Sterl Kitchens said above, we will have a 3/4" solid edge under the veneer. We also created two ideabooks here on Houzz -- 1. "walnut we like" and 2. "walnut we don't like" (maybe you can access those? -- I don't know). My husband decided he didn't like the ones that look overly "stripey" and I didn't like the ones that had tight knots which our cabinet maker called "eyeballs". He knows what we want now, and is "shopping around" from his various veneer suppliers for us. He is going to have them wet the sheets and take photos so that we can select the exact graining that we want.

Based on my research, I would not mix walnut "veneers" and solid walnut. They look very different.

We are still deciding on finish -- not sure if I want clear or a stain with a bit of a golden tone in it.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks a lot Brenda! Great info - I will go with solid maybe. We'll try to see you pics - is the price for that quality veneer is lower or same as solid? I like clear finish - we'll go with Blizzard for counter tops and green backsplash to warm up the ultra sleek look.
  • Brenda
    11 years ago
    we're doing a combination of white quartz counters and some walnut butcherblock. Our kitchen space is rather large, and there is already a lot of wood in the room, so we are also going to have some painted cabinets -- a taupey-grey modified shaker door. And I think we're going to do back painted glass backspashes from "dreamwalls" -- a large solid piece over the cooktop, and likely back painted glass tiles everywhere else, probably also in a taupey-grey.

I honestly don't know about the price difference. Our cabinet maker steered us away from solid doors because of the warpage issue, but also because we really liked the modern look of the continuous grain that veneer gives you.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That sounds great! My kitchen is small 10x13 U shape with a small 3x4 island - I will have a range hood and a tile all the way up - will check the painted glass option also - thanks for the tip :) I am also afraid of a lot of wood kind of look.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Those are great! Are you going with big hardware or more minimalistic?
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    My opinion is: if you use walnut don't paint it - sometimes when the finish is not done well it looks cheap and the wood is beautiful
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    where are you located? who is your cabinet maker? thanks!
  • Brenda
    11 years ago
    I just picked all my hardware the other day. Three different styles, all chrome from "Schwinn". We're doing inset/recessed pulls on the walnut drawers, 7 inch pulls on the walnut doors, and hidden finger pulls on all the painted doors. I'm obsessed with the look of the recessed pulls -- here's an example: [houzz= https://www.houzz.com/photos/22nd-lower-modern-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~1120520]
  • Brenda
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi dkotov. The painted cabinets are not going to be walnut -- actually, I have no idea what they are going to be. My cabinet maker is Sherwood Cabinets. I'm in Baltimore County, Maryland.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I am on the other side - CA :) Is the cabinet maker installing those - what did you get for the uppers?