Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vwolfe405

small 6 x 6 bathroom

Valerie wolfe
7 years ago
purchased an old 50s home. would like to update old tub to nice shower with glass doors. trying to not move toilet to save on expense. also part of window extends into tub and don't want to lose it as it is on front of house and need the light! north south facing home. any ideas? door curtently swinging out but can use a pocket door

Comments (20)

• robbed1
    7 years ago
    I agree, leave all plumbing as is, I also have a window that extends
    into shower, I just spend a little extra on a nice shower rod, hooks and shower curtain. Just a suggestion, to get more natural light in, try to use a smoked,clouded or etched glass window,
    then you wouldn't have to put any window dressing on.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

ditto to Judy's idea.

you may have to move the window to the left if you don't want it smaller. You can't have part of the window into the shower. So either the shower goes smaller, the window goes smaller or it gets moved to the left. Unless, of course, you can build the shower, install the doors without interrupting the present window. It's hard to tell from your photos.

also, is that the original window? I would think you would want to have that replaced. You can do so w/some type of obscure glass so you will get plenty of light and privacy.

You didn't say what kind of budget you have. The fiberglass stall is a cheaper option.

• Cali Homeowner
    7 years ago

I guess it all depends on what your budget is going to be. Bathrooms are always good to upgrade, you never regret going that extra distance! Do you like the saltillo floors? If so, look into replacing the tub with a walk in shower with glass doors (either framed or frameless) and mexican tile with pretty designs to match the floor. I'd replace the window with one that has frosted glass, which eliminates the use of bulky coverings. You can also look into reframing a bit and putting in a slightly smaller frosted awning window that opens just enough to let the steam out. The sink --it's a little big. Can you look into something that has cleaner lines?

• Valerie wolfe
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    thanks everyone. saltillo is throughout home. did not research expense to remove when we purchased. they are in good shape so I am contemplating just replacing a few in the bathroom and living with it. can i put in a block window? comsider making it half the size it is? yes original windows. so much to upgrade everything at once but bathroom is important! these are my ugly floors lol!
  • Valerie wolfe
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    found a great narrow sink from signature hardware! did not do my homework on these floors before purchase...duh...this is an old lake house and will probably sell in 5 years so want to just make cosmetic changes and windows will be done
  • Valerie wolfe
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    budget 5 to 6,000
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

Is there another tub in the house so you can maintain resale value? If not, consider just retiling your current tub. I wouldn't advise glass block on the front of the house-I'd use a window that's consistent with your other front windows but would definitely look into moving it over. There are lots of nice vanities at 18" deep that would give you some extra storage. Instead of doors, you could use a 1/2 glass panel that's about 24" wide to give everything an open feeling. Good luck with your project!

• Valerie wolfe
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    yes there's another tub.. only way I'd consider shower. window and sink seem to be my biggest dilemna(except saltillo). think I'm going to glass block just half the window to the left and make rest go away. exterior is cedar so I was concerned about matching but it will age with time. thanks!
  • janedoe2012
    7 years ago
    Please don't put a glass block window in the front of your house. You will reduce the value.

The problems I see with the bathroom are the window treatment (not the window), the clutter, the paint color, and the bath mat. I don't think you should spend ANY money on renovations, unless you are willing to gut and move fixtures. There is nothing wrong with that bathroom, except that it is small.

I like the idea of plantation shutters.
  • Cali Homeowner
    7 years ago

Saltillo tiles are great. They give a very earthy and homey look, and other than having someone come in every year or so to clean and buff them, they are low upkeep and can adapt to many styles. The problem here is that when they put the floors down, they kept the old white tiles in and it just doesn't tie-in. Mixing solid Talavera and handpainted Mexican tiles on the shower walls will create a more uniform look. [Look at some of these samples here.[(https://www.houzz.com/products/wall-and-floor-tile-prbr1-br~t_600~a_1268-13557003) Saltillo, Talavera, handpainted mexican tiles, and glass block is not an uncommon combination in the southwest. However, glass block does not afford you the ventilation you need, and unless it's part of an overall design scheme in other rooms, it has a tendency to look 'tacked on.' Check out small [awning windows,[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/chevy-chase-house-2-traditional-bathroom-dc-metro-phvw-vp~27665607) but make them frosted instead. Muntin bars are optional --it all depends on the rest of the house..

• yvesun
    7 years ago

Keep it light and airy. Marble tiled floors, small white narrow vanity, silver framed mirror, and long shower with built ins for shampoo & soaps.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

IMO in a space this small a glass shower is a real plus and not a shower curtain at all I agree you need to change the window if the shower is your plan and no glass block for sure there are some really awesome tiny vanity/ sink combos to look at on Wayfair too

• robbed1
    7 years ago
    Obviously the redoing shower and window is the best solution, the rod and curtain was recommended for budget constraints,if you a total redo on shower and window
    I'm not sure you will have much left over
    for anything else, at least not in NYC.
  • Valerie wolfe
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    thanks guys and thanks Cali Homeowner for info on tiles. i agree window and shower are my solutions! gonna try and work with the floors due to transition from other room
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

I think leaving the floors consistent with the rest of the house makes sense. It would also give you enough money to make the changes needed to the window. I hope you'll keep us updated with the changes!

• janedoe2012
    7 years ago
    If you bump an elbow into a shower curtain, the shower curtain gives. Visually, a clean glass shower door may open up the space. But functionally, it will restrict it. If the bathroom is 6' X 6', then I am assuming the distance from the sink / toilet wall to the shower curtain or glass door will be only 42". And that doesn't include the space taken up by the sink and toilet. And it would have to be a sliding glass door, right? I don't think there is any room for a swinging shower door. Even if it could clear the sink, I think it would feel tight.

Perhaps I am overestimating the cost of a shower. I am thinking it would be at least $4000 all-in, but I really have no idea. Plus the window = $5000 total? That just seems like a lot of money for a bathroom where the owner wants to save $ by not moving the toilet.

I say either gut it and borrow a few square feet from somewhere else, or leave it.
  • Valerie wolfe
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    i agree. a few cosmetic updates is all we'll do. thanks to all for your input and suggestions.
  • Cali Homeowner
    7 years ago

Sounds good Valerie! Just lay it all out on paper or online first, then you'll know about how much space you've got. You can easily move the window over closer to the sink, since you'll be doing some framing anyway (but add in the cost of restucco-ing the outside. I think you can do the shower and window for 5-6k, especially if you do much of the work yourself! You can get deals on Talavera and Mexican Tiles. Just look around, and don't forget about craigslist, as sometimes people buy too much.

• Valerie wolfe
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    thinking i will take space from small closet that backs to shower. do a 32 x 40 or 42 glass shower and 24 or 28/30 vanity sink across from toilet. shower can then open unencumbered. plumbing can be used for sink as on same wall as shower. this is an old home so trying to limit plaster work. Thinking of beadboard half way up wall opposite shower. Then window will not be an issue. any thoughts?