0

Anyone ever used hydrogen peroxide to remove old blood stains?

gretchen718

Hello Wise Laundry-People!

I found this technique on the web:

1) Pour peroxide on the stain and give it a good scrub with the clean rag. Feel free to use as much peroxide as you're comfortable with - you want to really give the stain a good soak, followed by a good scrub. Give it one last splash, and let sit for 5 minutes or so.

1. Once it's had a chance to soak for a few minutes, take your hot iron and go over the spot until the stain disappears. You may notice a ring around where the peroxide was - just wet it with the spray bottle and go over it with the iron again.

Were you successful? I'm trying to get an old blood stain out of a white duvet cover. Is it worth it for me to try and find my iron? I moved two years ago and haven't seen it since...

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

• MizLizzie

Yes, I have used hydrogen peroxide to get out blood stains in white sheets and towels with good results. Sometimes I alternate with Fells naphtha soap. But I have never use the hot iron method. I would love to hear what others think.

• wekick

I'm a nurse and have a family member taking blood thinners, so have had many blood stains over the years to get out.

I would not use that method especially because of the heat. I used to use peroxide when we wore whites but for me it has left a brown residue at times. I have never used heat like that but it would seem you would cook whatever protein is there and really set the stain. Peroxide has also bleached some fabrics, leaving a lightened circle.

I have used different methods and sprays over the years and now I use a stepped method. I wet the stain with cold water and work some salt into the stain and then spray with a little more water. This makes a hypertonic solution that hemolyzes the blood. I leave it for a couple of hours and repeat and leave it maybe overnight. It may or may not all be gone at that point, but I rinse it well and then apply Persil 2/1 liquid full strength and work it into the stain and let it sit for an hour or two. This has 4 or 5 enzymes in it. Then I wash it with the Persil 2/1 in warmish water. It generally gets it all out at this point.

I recently had blood on some cream colored slip covers and all came out, even though it was there a few days. I was really holding my breath on that.

• gretchen718

Thank you! I will give your method a try tomorrow and report back.

• mamapinky0

Thing with old blood is it would have coagulated and oxidized..it may be near impossiable to remove now.

As for the iron/peroxide method NO WAY..this will break down the fibers causing severe textile damage. it will set the blood permanently. Theres a lot of techniques on the web most of which are laughable not to mention very damaging to fabrics.

It is fine to use peroxide on light colored fabric to remove blood, than flush with cool water right after or wash. Old blood..takes a miracle.

• Jody

I just spray clothes with Shout and let them soak in cold water with my Mexican Ariel. Better than the Hydrogen peroxide I used to use. But, in all fairness I never soaked the stain in hydrogen Peroxide first, then soaked it with the detergent.

• mamapinky0

I don't use any stain removers except Fels-Naptha which is the only thing that will remove everything except grape juice without fail for me. The Shout and others all cause fading, and get any on your machine and it will remove lettering and the finish.

99cents a bar and it lasts forever..it really shines on red sauce..literally vanishes in front of your eyes.

• wekick

I guess we would need to know what you mean by old blood. I have successfully gotten blood that is weeks or maybe even a month old out with the salt/enzymes but blood that has been heated by the dryer or the iron or is years old would be tough.

If you have been through the Fels Naphtha and enzymes, specifically a protease enzyme ( in detergent, spray enzymes or even meat tenderizer which I found in researching oxalic acid) and it is still stained you might have broken down the proteins and still have iron compounds remaining. I was thinking you might try oxalic acid. This us not as caustic as it sounds. Try making a paste of Bar Keepers Friend which is oxalic acid applying to the stain. I have it and use it in the kitchen and it does not seem to destroy cotton cloths but consider if you want to take the chance. You could also try whink rust remover but it might be a little more caustic. Wear gloves and keep it just on the stain. Flush flush flush as soon as stain fades, IF it does.

If you still have some stains, you have broken down the proteins and removed iron compounds as best you can so you might try bleaching at this point. I would consider peroxide 3%, from the pharmacy or oxiclean.

• rpsinfoman

Coagulated, dried oxidized blood set by heat can generally not be removed. Peroxide is only effective on a fresh non set stain. There are a few potent commercial products that can be used with limited success, howver the risk of permanent textile damage is greater than the cure. Where ever the hot iron method came from, is just plain old bad advice.

http://70.88.161.72/ifi/BULLETIN/SLP/Slp37.pdf

• mamapinky0

Sin these ridiculous concoctions are often on mommy blogs. I seen one once and think its still around on how to whiten dingy whites, something about using automatic dishwasher detergent and chlorine bleach and let soak 2 hours Haha

• doreycrouse

The Clorox Urine Remover is mostly hydrogen peroxide. I have used it to spray on comforters that the dog had bled on. It loosened right up and was gone after the wash even though it was previously washed and dried. It is my to go to when we do not have ammonia.

• mamapinky0

I've never heard of this. Do you know whats in it besides the peroxide?

• doreycrouse

Actually, it's quite a simple product. It is water, hydrogen peroxide, isopropyl alcohol, and another alcohol complex with fragrance. I'm half way tempted to mix my own at home in very low concentrations.

• beaglenc

I've had luck with HP plus Shout with the scrub top.

• gretchen718

Soaked the stain with salt and then washed with Tide, stain is gone!

• cupofkindnessgw

I use Natures Miracle pet stain remover with great results on blood stains.

• arkend

I used this method on my son's white dress shirt that had had a large blood stain on it for many months, and it worked really well. I was skeptical, but when it worked it was like magic. Once I laundered it I couldn't find any trace of the stain.

• twebbz

You can remove a fresh dried blood stain with an ice cube. Just rub it into the stain until it is gone. Won't take too long.

• mamapinky0

Lucky that worked for you but frigid cold can set blood stains same as heat.

• dadoes

A family member had an accident several months ago, hit her head/nose on a door frame, fainted briefly. Several blood spots on the carpet. Hydrogen peroxide cleaned it up nicely. It was all dried but hadn't sat for more than a couple days. One spot soaked into the backing, took several applications to wick it up.

I've also used it successfully on a pillow case that had gone through a few washings and dryings. Several applications on the spot, let it sit for a couple hrs.

• Rolando Z

Pretreat the Area with a strong Enzyme Liquid Detergent (Persil, Tide) and then soak overnight in LUKE WARM water with diluted ammonia. I don't know where I got this from (I think a Martha Stewart Everyday) but it's worked miracles for me, several times.

It's particularly good for dried in, blood stains that will not shift. YMMV, but, it's saved several shirts and linens for me.

• Pam

I have had success using cold water on blood stains. If the blood is fresh, running under cold water alone, removes most of it and laundry bar soap removes the remainder. For stains that are older, soaking in cold salt water for several hours helps lift the stain. Never use hot water or dryer heat on stains.

• Brittney E
    Liquid Clorox 2 works well on blood stains