batson_cassie

Help with furniture location/selection for long weird living room

batson_cassie
January 14, 2017
last modified: January 14, 2017

I'm struggling with furniture selection and placement in my living room. Right now we have a sofa and armchair but find we don't have enough seating when we have company and half the sofa doesn't get much use since it's an awkward spot to sit and comfortably see the TV (mounted above fireplace). The images below show 1. how the room is laid out now (the exception being the Ikea shelving unit has been replaced with the Ikea Hemnes 8 drawer dresser). 2. an image showing the other angle of the room (taken when we purchased the house) 3. the rough dimensions of the room.

A few challenges we experience with this room:

1. It's pretty narrow, the fireplace is HUGE and not centered to the room or the long set of windows along the front of the house, and the living room is both a room and a hallway between the front door/stairs to the dining room/kitchen.

2. the fireplace is HUGE and not centered to the room or the long set of windows along the front of the house, and the living room is both a room and a hallway between the front door/stairs to the dining room/kitchen.

3. the living room is both a room and essentially a hallway between the front door/stairs and the dining room/kitchen.

I'm trying to figure out the best furniture for this space that will maximize seating while also making the best use of the room- right now it seems that the space on the west side of the room is sort of a dead zone

Comments (29)

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268