Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sznns

Have you used Chalk Paint on a dining table? Help please.

sznns
7 years ago

I just purchased a used dining table and would like to refinish it. It's veneer so I don't think it's a strong candidate for staining. From what I have read, Chalk Paint is simple to use and can provide a durable surface suitable for a table top. Do you agree? Do I need to use a bonding agent or sand the surface first? Will the wax coat really harden and protect the table from everyday use for dining and homework etc.? For those of you that have done this, please let me know how yours has held up or if you have any "lessons learned" to share. Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

• sznns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

no on dining table, yes on bathroom cabinets. I put the wax finish over and they have held up quite nicely. No on sanding, prep, super easy to use. Do you want the distressed look or more smooth finish? You can go to the annie sloan website for tips and videos.

what color are you thinking??

sznns thanked Jennifer Havin
  • Kelly Dowling
    7 years ago

Chalk paint will give this table a beautiful new life. I painted a dining room table and chairs slate and they turned out beautiful. I used wax on the chairs and table legs. For the top of the table I used Varathane. It protected the chalk paint from the heavy use and abuse that a table top see's. I received many compliments on the finished product! With some determination and elbow grease you'll create a masterpiece! Best of luck.

sznns thanked Kelly Dowling
  • sznns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all! I am thinking of painting in black (maybe grey) and more of a solid finish not a distressed finished. I have a few chips in the veneer to repair before I paint. The chair are enormous and I won't be using them with the table. I may make them a project for another day and another room though.

Good to hear you have had good experiences with the Chalk Paint. I gives me a bit more courage to give it a go. I'm curious of the finish and loving the no sanding piece...I hate sanding.

I've not heard of Varathane. Is that like a Poly?

• northpoint2
    7 years ago

Just keep in mind that the paint is very thick, so you may or may not have to repair chips beforehand. The finish will be absolutely beautiful, it is "chalky" before you wax or seal it and then it's a beautiful, mellow finish. Based on what you're saying, you might want to look at the color Graphite.

sznns thanked northpoint2
  • PRO
    Sticks & Stones Home Remodeling
    7 years ago

Chalk paint works wonders for a DIY, low-elbow grease intense project. However, it's inherent durability alone will not stand the test of time on a high-use surface, unless you do a couple of extra steps. I always recommend a very light sanding to help strip away any finish that may be on the table and to allow the paint to have a strong bond to the wood. It shouldn't take you more than 20 min to sand a table of that size by hand. You can use a 220 grit or higher. With a lightly damp no-lent cloth, wipe dust off all of the surfaces. Allow all the surfaces to dry. Apply your chalk paint evenly and in thin coats allowing each coat to dry well - 2 or 3 coats should do it. As Kelly Dowling mentioned above, use a polyurethane like Varathane brand to seal the paint - I would recommend a water-base one so that the paint color is not affected.

Sticks & Stones Home Remodeling

sznns thanked Sticks & Stones Home Remodeling
  • sznns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Any thoughts on if Annie Sloan is the way to go or is the DecoArt brand (much more affordable and I can pick up locally) a reasonable substitution? http://www.homedepot.com/p/DecoArt-Americana-Decor-8-oz-Carbon-Chalky-Finish-ADC29-95/204837382?&cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|DigitalDecor|B|0|B-BASE-D24+Paint|&mid=buIfikPN|dc_mtid_8903vry57826_pcrid_73529847528335_pkw__pmt__

• linlac
    7 years ago
    I've used almost every brand there is including that one. I haven't found one yet that doesn't work great. The color selection is the difference between brands. If you like the colors they have I would go for it.
    sznns thanked linlac
  • northpoint2
    7 years ago

I tried a variety of brands, and in my opinion, Annie Sloan is the best, and has the best colors available.

sznns thanked northpoint2
  • Maureen
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would consider two things...are you sure you want the chalk paint look, given your other furniture's style. Do you know for sure the table cannot be slightly sanded and restained (then add a protective coat). It is a classic table and you mentioned you would be replacing the chairs - it could be gorgeous.

sznns thanked Maureen
  • sznns
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Maureen Does that gorgeous
    pup in your profile pic have any English Setter in him/her? My old boy is an E
    Setter. He's the best. As for the table, I'm pretty sure that it won't be
    worth the effort to try to salvage the veneer. The shape is great but the
    veneer looks pretty bad up close and it’s very thin. But, to answer your
    question, nope. I’m completely unsure as I’ve never actually seen anything painted
    in Chalk Paint J

I think my plan at the moment is to pick up a jar of inexpensive
    Chalk paint and test it on something to see what I think.

Those monster chairs make
    the table look much smaller. It’s actually a 54” diameter with room for 5-6 normal
    sized chairs.

I truly appreciate everyone’s
    feedback and helpful info!!

• pudgysmom
    6 years ago

Hope your table and chair re-do has turned out to be all that you expected. I made my own chalk paint using a recipe I found online. The only thing I did was change the ratio of latex paint to "chalk". This allowed the finish to become harder than pre-mixed retail chalk paint. The linen cabinet, vanity and medicine chest came out perfect, even though the linen cabinet was medium oak and the vanity and mirror are cherry. The finish is durable and unaffected by the moisture in the bathroom. I suggest, if you have not already refinished your table, that you make your own chalk paint, as I did. Then it is a no worries finished product.