Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdmnova

Kitchen Design Blank Slate-What would you do?

M&T Marks
7 years ago

We are in the process of creating a design for a cottage kitchen. It's an L shaped kitchen and we are flexible on layout (including island position). Since it is a cottage we are not planning anything too elaborate as far as appliances. Just a counter depth fridge, single bowl sink in 36 base cabinet, dw, 30 stand alone stove/oven with vent hood and a microwave/oven combo. Big questions I am Trying to decide on is if I want the sink on the island or under a window. Thoughts? Also wondering if I should put the microwave/ oven combo in a base cabinet or somehow have it up higher at eye level. Any help with optimal layout would be appreciated!!!

Pic is below -each block = 6inches

Comments (4)

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

I prefer my sink at the window, but I am not a big TV watcher. I would consider the best view - but also if you want to carry things from sink to anywhere and need to cross the floor and potentially drip. A good layout for a kitchen is fridge, sink, range (left to right or right to left doesn't matter) and the major prep area tends to be between the sink and range - so give that area as much room as possible. Many put a prep sink in the island, but mine is too small and my kitchen is rather simple.

Some things I love in my kitchen - my ordinary hardwood floors and my Kohler Whitehaven farmhouse sink. I also like having a dedicated vent hood - not an over the range microwave. I do really like my quartz counters too.

As I've gotten a bit older I wish I had a higher oven - I have a regular range - I have to sit on the floor to broil:) If I had the room, I would do the oven at about chest height with a separate microwave at eye level above.

I also like that my kitchen is light and colorful. I am not fond of grays and went more with a mixture of warm woods and creams and white with blue accents.

• PRO
    Patrick A. Finn, Ltd
    7 years ago

Pantry and fridge next to each other, sink under the window, stove somewhat centered on the wall remaining making it the statement piece. For the microwave I would say in an upper cabinet opening or in the island as a drawer.

Arlington Heights White Transitional Kitchen · More Info

Historical Urban Farmhouse · More Info
    Deer Park Kitchen Remodel - Modern Farmhouse · More Info

• L Fitzgerald
    7 years ago

First consider where do you enter the kitchen and how do you work?When you bring your groceries in you need a place to set them down and then will distribute them between refrigerator, cabinets and pantry. A normal process would be to take things out of the refrigerator, carry to sink to wash, move from sink to prep and then to stove so that could easily predict the order of layout. (of course we all need to make concessions to fit our particular space). Do you like to interact with folks when you are cooking? or do you want to be left alone? If the former, put the range in the island so you are looking toward the living room. (that's where mine is so I can watch tv and/or interact with family/friends while cooking. It's also convenient for me because I can "plate" dinners right at the stove and have the shortest distance to the dining room. If you want to be left alone when cooking, put it on the long wall. I don't like looking at pots and pans and I don't want my guests staring at them either (although my husband and I are good about doing clean up as we go), so I prefer my sink away from the more public areas. Play act in your space and I think you will answer your own questions in a way that's best for you.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

I love the look of the under counter microwave, but I hate the usage of it. You can't see the buttons.

If you don't use it often, go ahead and put it under the counter. But if it is a well used appliance, I suggest having it at eye level.