0
rouge21_gw

What is a plant that was a bee in your bonnet?

rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

My current desire:

I love most all things thalictrum and as many here know I especially love "Splendide".

Well there is a newish variety which goes by the name of "Splendide White". It seems to be readily available in Europe and I know it is in the States but for the life of me I can't find it in Ontario or in Canada (through mail order).

Any plant that you have really really wanted but had such great difficulty getting it?

(Woody and all other Ontarian GW members please keep an eye out for me with respect to "Splendide WHITE"!)

• WoodsTea 6a MO

Downy gentian, Gentiana puberulenta. I saw this in a prairie preserve not far from here (took this pic on Sept 29) and have wanted it for years. I tried frost-sowing seeds without success, may try sowing indoors, cold frame, etc. I've heard it is very hard to establish in a garden from seed, and I'm not aware of any source for seedlings.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z6) thanked WoodsTea 6a MO
  • Campanula UK Z8

The basic t.delavayii album is a good substitute - when happy it seems to be more vigorous than the purple - a nice 4foot generous swathe. Also easy from seed and widely available.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z6) thanked Campanula UK Z8
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

Yup. That "album" could be a good substitute but I have my heart set on Splendide White

(I would have thought someone on this forum would have it in their garden by now. Campanula et al, in your travels out and about, keep your eyes peeled for this plant...love to know what you think of it when you view it in real life ;)).

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Clematis Harlow Carr. Gorgeous blue-purple flowers and a long bloom season. Last time I saw it was probably 4 years ago, and I've been kicking myself ever since for not snapping it up.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

I think I remember you talking about this clematis Barb! And with that recommendation I looked lots for it...without success as well.

I left that clematis at a previous residence and have been looking for it ever since!! Even most mail order sources don't seem to have it available any more. Was the most heavily and longest blooming clematis I've ever grown.........and that's saying something, as I've grown a LOT of them!!

I looked all of last season for a new bleeding heart, Dicentra 'White Gold' - just like 'Gold Heart', but with white flowers instead of pink ( I don't do pink). Even the local perennial wholesale growers didn't carry it. Just found out yesterday that my own nursery is growing it from plugs obtained from Terra Nova. Yay!! At least one of two quests will be fulfilled and I will continue to hunt for the clemmie.

The only other plant on my wish list is Manyo no Sato Japanese maple but I've got a handle on that one for spring.

• LaLennoxa

Arisaema sikokianum. Read about it online a few years ago as a newbie and was intrigued. Not something most general nurseries carry around here; looked online but prices were exorbitant, out-of-stock, etc. Kind of forgot about it, then went to the local 'expensive' nursery at the end of the season - original price $75 per bulb (!!!), marked down 85% at that time. I picked up all 6 bulbs.

In my newbie eagerness to protect the bulbs from the elements and tree rats, I think I planted them far too deep. But in the first year, 4 of the 6 came up, and 3 bloomed. Last year I think only 3 came up, but I dug down to see if there was a problem, and it actually looked like the one bulb I found was multiplying (?) so hope springs eternal because I would love to have a flock in that area.

Since then, I've found a local source that I like and am willing to support if I want to buy in person, and also a contact in Japan who would be able to help me out if I want to go the long distance route.

Both Far Reaches Farms and Plant Delights have a decent selection of arisaemas if you want to do mail order. PD even carries two varieties of A. sikokianum and at a lot lower price than $75!!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

I see the independent nursery "Plants Paradise Country Gardens" shows this arisaema in their 2016 catalogue. I have visited this unique nursery many times. (PPCG is probably less than an hour from Hamilton). Feel free to email them as the owner will get back to you promptly.

PPCG

• WoodsTea 6a MO

I looked at some pictures of Thalictrum 'Splendide White' online -- it's dramatic, like all the seeds exploded at once into popcorn-like puffs and froze in mid-air above the plant. I can see why you like it:

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

Stop teasing me WoodsTea! ;)

Gorgeous isnt it?

• LaLennoxa

Thanks gardengal: I had looked at some of the American mail order places, but often it gets tricky with international customs and border stuff - and who knows what direction that is going in these days. Anyway, by the time that 85% discount was applied, what once was $75 became just over $11 - a much better price.

Rouge: thanks for the heads up re: Plants Paradise Country Gardens. I just dropped them a note to see what they may have in store for the spring. And it certainly looks like another place to add to my travels!

• LaLennoxa

Update: I just heard back from Plants Paradise - looks like they will be charging $50 this spring (!) for the arisaemas.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

The basic t.delavayii album is a good substitute.

And I see a newer variety which has white flowers.

Thalictrum NIMBUS

• Campanula UK Z8

But 28inches! Too short for me. I want 4feet at the least. Looks like double flowers too...which I don't mind in the pale yellow meadow rues (t.glaucum flavum for example)...but prefer the daintier singles as a rule.

Have you ever looked at the Crug Farm site Rouge - literally dozens of thalictrums (they are plant hunters extraordinaire).

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

I am still hoping that "Splendide WHITE" comes my way in 2018.

• garcanad

rouge, Just came across this, in case you are still interested:

Thalictrum 'Splendide White'

(I just left them a message asking whether they would consider shipping a few to Ontario.)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

garcanad, that is so kind of you....incredible.

But alas I had contacted John in early December 2017 and he told me they would not ship to Ontario. But of course if you hear differently please let me know :).

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

A bump:

By chance have any Canadians (in particular Ontarians) yet seen Thalictrum Splendide WHITE for sale in 2018?

• hydrangeahead Central WI 4b

Sorry rouge, I don't know anything new about the thalictrum...

But laLennoxa, that Arisaema sikokianum is gorgeous!!!!! I have some stands of your run of the mill arisaemas, but that one, wow....

Thanks a lot, I don't have that kind of budget!!! ;)

• jackied164 z6 MA

Going way back to the Harlow Carr clematis part of this thread. Thanks for helping me remember the name of my favorite clemitis. I wanted Jackmani but they had this and I planted and threw out the tag. It is vigorous and a flower bomb for me from mid June to late August. If I let it go where it wants my house would be engulfed in purple. Highly recommended.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Oh, Jackied 164, I am envious! No one seems to carry this any more.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

UPDATE:

As of November a small independent nursery (from which I have purchased plants previously) let me know that he was expecting Splendide and Splendide WHITE for 2019. I bugged him most recently in February and at that time he was still confident of its delivery. And just today I messaged him again but haven't heard back yet.

(I reserve the right to withhold the name of this nursery as I want this plant all to myself ;))

• dbarron

Sorry Rouge21, I ordered his entire supply. (joke)

Woods, I grew that plant (the gentian) from a transplant (don't remember where I found it), but it didn't persist more than 1-2 years in my care. Obviously something was wrong or it's just short-lived, don't know?

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

My heart skipped a beat or two dbarron.

(I would bet that most thalictrum would have a tough time surviving in your challenging climate).

• dbarron

Actually in the past, several thalictrum have grown like weeds (can't say all would)..to the point I swore them off and pulled them out (really they were overwhelming everything).

• garcanad

I suspect it is Jeff.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6)

UPDATE: False alarm. Another year w/o Splendide White as "my guy" let me know that it ain't coming.

• Campanula UK Z8

Curses, NHBabs. Idly checking on Harlow Carr (still widely available here), I saw a miniature clem (only 1 foot tall) which I HAD to have...even though I will have missed the bloom cycle for this year...so next year, at least, I will have the simply gorgeous 'Ovation'...along with another clem (to justify postage - c.pitcheri. Will be hiding the Paypal deets.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Oh my, Camps, that Ovation is lovely, though would require a greenhouse in my zone. I do have a pitcheri and a pitcheri cross which the bees like. Good choices, both.