Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dslieberman

Help me choose between these backsplash tiles, please!

Daina L
7 years ago

Our kitchen is almost done and I'm making myself crazy trying to decide between subway tile. Looking for more opinions, especially from decorators!

Still to be done: replace perimeter cabinet doors with white shaker (probably won't happen for a couple years) and replace perimeter hardware with chrome to match what's on the peninsula (will do that once the knobs arrive in the mail). We will also likely change appliances to stainless steel eventually.

Painting is done, but the green was not ours! We left it alone since we'll be putting in a backsplash there anyway. One wall of the kitchen, where peninsula meets the wall, is BM Amorous, a grayish lavender. The other kitchen walls are BM Elephant Gray, a lavenderish gray. One wall of the dining room is BM Autumn Purple. I am willing to change the Elephant Gray if necessary. The counter is MSI Statuary Classique quartz. The veining has gray/purple/blue tones to it.

My original plan was white subway tile, but the whites seem to make the counter look yellow, so I'm not sure if a light gray is a better choice or not. We will have to do a sidesplash because we have a gap to cover, and I'd rather use bullnose or quarter round than Schluter jolly edge, so that's also driving my decision. Unless people think Schluter would like alright in this kitchen...

Backsplash · More Info

Excuse the mess and the dog, please. Still unpacking and organizing.

The side wall is Elephant Gray.

Backsplash · More Info

Poor lighting in this pic--sorry--but the wall with the back door is Amorous, and the wall with the pantry is Elephant Gray. It's lighter than it looks. And yes, we have to lower the pendants.

Backsplash · More Info

Whisper white and Linen, undercabinet lights on

Backsplash · More Info
whisper white and linen, undercabinet lights off
Backsplash · More Info

dove gray and cottage ash, undercabinet lights off

Backsplash · More Info

cottage ash and linen, lights off

Backsplash · More Info

cottage ash and linen, lights on

Backsplash · More Info

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (30)

• Daina L
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The green is so bad....they repainted everything else in the place a taupe color, but for some odd reason left the kitchen neon green.

• meitin
    7 years ago
    I think that the linen looks best.
    Daina L thanked meitin
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    7 years ago

Personally, not a subway tile fan. They can be very busy. What about using the quartz that is on your counters as your backsplash?

Daina L thanked Julia & Elizabeth
  • Daina L
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My concern with that is the pattern won't match, since we already did the counters. Does that matter? And they used basically the entire slab on the counters and peninsula. Maybe I'll ask the fabricators to price it out...but I'm assuming it would be a lot more $ than just doing tile.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

I like the idea of gray, but not those. they are coming off as too 'taupe-ish'. Linen seems the best match, but still isn't perfect.

This frosted glass has a bit more blue tone which goes better w/the veining?

comes in regular glass as well

http://tilebar.com/loft-ash-gray-frosted-4x12-glass-tiles.html

these 3X12 are more of a hand-made look in the color 'Dove'

Daina L thanked Beth H. :
  • suzyq53
    7 years ago

You would need another slab to do the backsplash, but you should be able to match it using the same dealer where you bought the slab.

• Daina L
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Suzy and Belle Chaise.

I just emailed the fabricator to get a price. You never know, maybe it won't be much more than doing the backsplash with tile. And then it would just match. I do think my husband prefers that look. Depending on the tile we pick, I think the backsplash will cost between $1000 and $1500 minimum anyway.

Although I'm sure the part of the slab on the counter there was from the top of the slab...so I'm still not sure it would match.

• Geneviève
    7 years ago

the grey of the vain in the marble

Oak Park Kitchen & Powder Room · More Info

and the linen look very close from here ,

Daina L thanked Geneviève
  • suzyq53
    7 years ago

The squiggles don't have to line up with the tops, it just needs to be the same color.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

In the picture above, you are bookmarked for the waterfalls but not the splash.

Daina L thanked suzyq53
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 years ago

Actually, that is not bookmarked, it's a pattern match. Bookmarking means it's a mirror image on both sides. And even on a computer monitor looking at a small photo, the veining is so unrealistic looking. I'd do a tile backsplash.

Daina L thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Daina L
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Diana Bier, do you think one of the colors I posted works? I think the linen or the cottage ash works best...I have a huge pile of samples from Fireclay, tilebar, and MSI and none really seems to match as well as these two.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

I can't see how buying another slab and getting it cut to fit the wall would be cheaper than backsplash. What is the sq footage of the area you need to splash?

• Daina L
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Beth, I also doubt it. It's about 29 square feet.

I think I have the Dove color you posted from tilebar. I'll take a photo of it with the counter and post it....

• PRO
    7 years ago

Daina, I'm sorry, but it's exceedingly difficult to determine nuances of color on a computer monitor, since they all show colors differently from each other, and from the reality of the tile in the space. They actually all look nice on my monitor, but if I look at the last 2 photos, the linen tile looks darker in the second photo than in the first! And I'm sure it was the same tile.

What you need to do is to either determine yourself which of the tiles works better with your countertop, or maybe hire a color consultant or designer to help you select the best one. Undertones are very important when selecting the lighter tiles. Personally I like the darker tiles since they give a nice contrast with the cabinets and the white background of the stone.

And I agree with replacing the white appliances with stainless steel--the whites don't work together at all.

Daina L thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Daina L
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Diana!

We actually used a color consultant to pick all the paint colors. I wanted gray everywhere and my husband wanted colors, but he didn't want to go to the paint store and pick them. I wasn't sure about some of the colors at first, but now I love it.

You certainly have a point about the computer monitor--I learned all about RGB and inkjet colors from the color consultant... And it's amazing how the lighting affects the colors, too.

I would love to know what you think about handmade tile, crackle, and color variation--how they affect the look of a kitchen. I was kind of going transitional, but our dining room furniture is sort of older and traditional. I like color variation and a handmade or hand molded look to the tile--do those go with the kitchen? Not sure I love crackle.

Here's the eventual dining room light (should arrive in a week or two).

Crystique 6-Light Chandelier In Polished Chrome · More Info

And these are the pendants (which need to be lowered).

Circeo 1-Light Mini Pendant, Antique White · More Info
    And our dining room. May have to rearrange the furniture...it's mahogany, my husband's grandfather's. Stuck with it!

Our Pictures · More Info

Our Pictures · More Info

Thanks for any advice you have.

• calidesign
    7 years ago

I think the linen one is fine. It will have grout around it also, and the area is fairly small. It keeps it more neutral in case you change colors later on.

• Daina L
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Beth H,

Here's the cottage ash left, dove from tilebar middle, linen right.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

I love crackle tile and handmade tile. Love colorful and patterned tiles too, like encaustic tiles. They all tend to be more traditional, earthy, homey, rustic, rather than transitional or modern, so you need to decide what look you really want. Also keep in mind that handmade tile has irregular edges and requires large grout lines. If you don't want that, then stick with the machine made, rectified tiles.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

all 3 seem to go ok. which one do you like? You know better since you can see the surrounding room.

• Daina L
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm leaning towards the cottage ash, the gray 3 x 9 with the color variation. Might still look at a few more before making a final decision. The trim pieces supposedly won't be in anyway till the end of February.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

I would paint all the kitchen including the back splash, and save the money for new appliances..................: ) A splash can be done ANY time. Smooth the drywall, paint it out and put the 1500.00 in tile and labor and grout toward the apps. Even if it means a riser splash of the Caesar Stone in the meantime.

• Daina L
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here's what we chose--none of the above--and I love it!

Our Pictures · More Info

Our Pictures · More Info

Our Pictures · More Info

• pammykb
    7 years ago
    It's lovely Daina, good choice. Can you provide details of the tile please?
    Daina L thanked pammykb
  • Daina L
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sure! I bought it from Architechtural Ceramics. It's by Iris and it's called Maiolica Grigio. Here's the company website: http://www.irisus.com/collezioni.php?col=MAIOLICA

This is the store where I purchased it. https://www.architecturalceramics.com/

• xtin16
    7 years ago
    We have glass tile backsplash. Love our white Quartz stone too!!! I'm all for maintenance-free!
  • pammykb
    7 years ago
    Thanks Daina!
  • K S
    6 years ago

Looks really nice!

• Daina L
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I would like to randomly comment that you people are all very nice and helpful. Thank you for that. Sometimes I post questions asking for advice on Houzz and get people who rip into design decisions that I didn't ask for help with. So, just thanks for being kind and helpful, to both the amateurs and the professionals. :)