Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susansarrett

Bored kitchen designer needed. HELP!!

Susan Sarrett
7 years ago

I do not like this suggested layout.....still early enough to change everything. 1 island or 2??? I Like the added storage of 2?? 2 sinks, double oven, microwave drawer, warming drawer, 2 dishwashers and the last trash compactor bought in America. I have a separate pantry for food and appliance storage.

Comments (41)

• emmarene9
    7 years ago

If you do not have a kitchen designer please hire one. This is a new build and you need help.

• Susan Sarrett
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I just am not sure if there is a better layout that I should be considering??? We already think that we want to move the 60" fridge/freezer to the end of the wall it is on (right in picture). Move DO to far end of wall by hearth. I just don't want to not be thinking of all my options. I have looked at 1000's of pics on Houzz. Brain is now fried.

• Susan Sarrett
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have a kitchen designer....have another appointment Thursday with a new one and want to be better prepared. Thought maybe all these experts on Houzz might have an amazing idea is all.

• jck910
    7 years ago

How many are going to live in this home?

Susan Sarrett thanked jck910
  • Susan Sarrett
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My biggest decision that I keep changing is one island or two??

• Susan Sarrett
    Original Author
    7 years ago

3 of us left but have big family and lots of entertaining.

• Mi Kan
    7 years ago
    Definitely move ovens and fridge, need the work triangle. I would lean toward making one island, enlarge and have a built in table with benches added. More casual/everyday seating and gathering space for entertaining.
    Susan Sarrett thanked Mi Kan
  • GreenDesigns
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

$2000 retainer to get started. No one who actually works at this does anything more than minor appetizers for free. We get paid for working, like anyone else.

• tedbixby
    7 years ago

In your current home have you wished for a 2nd island? What purpose do you see a 2nd island offering you? I have a couple of ideas regarding 2 islands but want to see if they fit your needs before I post pictures of them (plus I have to find them).

Susan Sarrett thanked tedbixby
  • Susan Sarrett
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like both ideas of 2 islands or 1 big. I just feel like I lose too much storage space with 1 big one. I'd like to see your pics.

• PRO
    Mary Dancey Interiors
    7 years ago

Did a kitchen designer provide you with this plan? You have far too much space between the stove and the sink Island and then not enough between the two islands.

• tedbixby
    7 years ago

So it is more for the extra storage that an extra island would give you over extra seating or more counter space? If so, have you considered putting the cook top on one of the islands and the sink on the other and then put in full cabinets. Something like this-

SILVERLEAF · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I have done this with clients that thought they wanted it and now they have it they wish they would have listened and understood how disfunctional this double island approach is. At least as laid out. I have many problems with this layout. Is your kitchen designer the builder cabinet supplier? You might be able to fix this but it is going to take some work. I will try some ideas and compile some ideas for your next meeting.
    Susan Sarrett thanked Flo Mangan
  • Susan Sarrett
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much!!! That is why I have not gone back to this designer and looking at other options.

• tedbixby
    7 years ago

The other idea I had was doing a T shaped island which would give you more counter seating but not the extra storage.

Easton, Maryland - Traditional - Kitchen with Lake View · More Info

Rockyview Dream · More Info

The New Traditional · More Info

• Susan Sarrett
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like all of these ideas. Ughhhhh, too many decisions!! We will be having a large hearth area with seating for 14 straight off the kitchen. I guess it is the entertaining/cooking side that I am trying to make sure I solve. We don't have seating around the island that we have now, and I wish we did. Trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, storage and seating.

• Susan Sarrett
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo, so 1 island is the better option??

• tedbixby
    7 years ago

One thing that helps me when designing a kitchen is that I figure out exactly what and where everything is going to go so I know if I need more storage space and exactly how much.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Here is a layout to play with. Yes one basic island is better for most situations. Because running around two islands is wasted steps. Here are some ideas. they are not dissimilar to some of the previous posts, but I thought an actual drawing might help. I guessed at the basic measurements so everything has to be verified and made correct of course.

Rev. 1 · More Info
    I have kept the basic overall size I believe, and made one island with a table "extension" which would be at table height, not countertop height so regular c hairs would work at the table. The island can accommodate a large sink, a dishwasher in each side and bookcases and/or drawers for various storage necessities. On the back wall, I centered the stove top and hood. I put two large pendants over the island and you might want two smaller ones over the table that were mates of the larger ones. Of course, recessed lighting throughout as well. I separated the freezer and refrigerator. I wanted the refrigerator closer to sink and range. But have set down counterspace on either side of eafch. I put a cabinet under the outside of island for storing seldome used things like Holiday serving items, etc. Wouldn't be easy to access but available. The table could be supported by either base cabinets for more storage or round posts, there are a variety of methods that could be used. Or it could just be a regular table too. The freezer I located on the right side (facing the range wall) and I also put the ovens on that wall. I put the microwave drawer under counter next to the ovens. This could be a "coffee station on the countertop. You could put a large 24" deep cabinet on the other side of the freezer if you needed even more storage. On the other side, I just left that a "bar area" and put a small bar sink and cabinetry. Since the left side of the island is facing the Hearth space, you can put a small shelf unit on the end of the island along with a bank of drawers. The drawers could store things like placemats, plates for serving, etc. The shelves for cookbooks, recipes, etc. On the other side of the island I also put a bank of drawers. I would recommend drawers on either side of the range as well, but budget will probably drive what you do there. I would put glass cabinet doors on the two sides of the range top and light them. Everything else would be normal cabinetry. Try this on and see what you think. Enjoy!

Susan Sarrett thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Excuse the mis-spelled words I see above. I was in a rush! My brain was ahead of my fingers, or something!

• Susan Sarrett
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!! Great food for thought!! I will post what we come with after my meeting with the new company. Once I get further along, I am sure I will have more questions! Thanks again, Flo!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

You are welcome. Hope you can find the plan that will knock your socks off!

• tedbixby
    7 years ago

Susan- Reviewing your original post you have listed quite a few things on your "wish" list and I think what the designer was trying to do was get everything in the space even if it wasn't the best work flow. I think it may help if you make a list of "must haves" and "would like if possible" to present at your meeting. The "would like" list is what you could live without if necessary. If you have to have everything you mention above, then I think a 2nd island has to come back into the picture where a 2nd sink with a dishwasher could be added and then a trash compactor next to the main sink with a dishwasher as that sink in the corner made no sense.

• Susan Sarrett
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ted, now,you see why I was having 2 islands. My husband does all the cooking..the corner sink area was going to be his prep area with a small sink. I could also have access to it without getting in his "way" while cooking, but agree with weirdness. Getting Thermador induction cooktop so may explore moving it to island. As to items, I forgot to mention beverage fridge and ice maker!! I really appreciate your input!!

• tedbixby
    7 years ago

If you haven't yet, look at prep sinks so if that is part of your plan you'll know what size works best. In a previous house, the owner had put in a prep sink that I found useless as I couldn't even put a colander in it but that was the only size that would work in that space. You are trying to get a lot into this size of kitchen- even though it is generous you may have to decide what is the most important to the least.

I have also found it easier to plan the kitchen if I have all the sizes of the appliances ahead of time as what I may want may not be the size that the kitchen is being designed with.

Have you looked at the Viking Pro 5 Induction cooktop? I looked at the Thermador but was more impressed with the Viking one. Same price point. Also did you check out the Viking Pro 7 Double French Door Oven? A high end commercial appliance company purchased Viking a few yrs back and have redesigned the line and have incorporated many commercial aspects into the line.

One side note- if you haven't, take your furniture measurements and draw them to scale and place them in your rooms to make sure everything will fit. I had given an architect the sizes of the furniture I had planned to use which he placed in the rooms. When I double checked his arrangement, I discovered he hadn't done it to scale and the only place my coffee table would work was by itself on the other side of the room! That would been an issue when I was moving in if I didn't catch it! So all I can say is check, check and double check everything.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I like to group things in the kitchen space according to frequency of use. So, keep your cooking steps and utensils in mind. You mentioned having a place to store small appliances. Is it a large pantry? Be mindful of how you will use kitchen and if hubby is cook, better get him involved big time.
  • csimon30
    7 years ago

Hi Susan,

I am doing a very similar kitchen remodel.

Here are a few thoughts to consider.

1. One island is better than two in my opinion. I am going with one large island 12 feet x 4 feet with a Cambria torquay.

2. The width of the island(4 feet) was an important consideration for me, so that when we have large gatherings around the island it should still feel cozy.

3. Every space in the island is being used for storage space.

4. I am using an integrated subzero 60 inch refrigerator(two 30 inch columns) with stainless steel panel. I placed the refrigerator away from the other appliances so that there won't be a SS overload in one area of the kitchen.

5. I am using two Miele dishwashers, one to the left and one to the right of the sink. So no water drips while moving dishes from sink to dishwasher.

6. Personal preference- I do not like the idea of having a sink in the island. We entertain a lot so having the sink in the visual space of delicious food is a turn off for me. I have the sink on the perimeter and near a window.

7. If you can, consider 4-5 feet gap between the perimeter and island.

8. I would align the cooktop to be in the center of the island and have a nice hood to create a nice focal point in the kitchen.

9. Incase it helps, the other appliances that I am using are 48 inch Miele range top, modern aire PS33 hood, wolf M series double oven and microwave.

Enjoy the project.

Christina

Susan Sarrett thanked csimon30
  • tedbixby
    7 years ago

Susan- are those french doors in your family room area that go out to the deck?

• PRO
    Roanoke Woodworking Inc.
    7 years ago

Roanoke New Construction · More Info

Roanoke New Construction · More Info
    I just finished a project with two islands. The second island is just for seating, or, to use as a buffet for larger gatherings.

Susan Sarrett thanked Roanoke Woodworking Inc.
  • Susan Sarrett
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Tedbixby, yes doors to covered deck.

• Susan Sarrett
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Csimon30, it does sound similar. We too, are having 30" columns (thermador)....how far along are you on the project???

• rebschneider
    7 years ago

You mention 1 or 2 islands? Two islands look good if it's in a very large room and if it's a contemporary kitchen. Instead of 2 islands, have you thought of 1 oversized (long) island?

• rebschneider
    7 years ago

If there's a possibility of moving the sink, I would do that.

• csimon30
    7 years ago

Susan,

My project is in the beginning stages, will be completed in 3 months approx. I will have the kitchen design drawings by next week.

• csimon30
    7 years ago

@Renoke woodworking,

Is the countertop on the island Cambria Britannica? Could you please share the countertop material on the perimeter?

• csimon30
    7 years ago

@Roanoke woodworking,

Is the countertop on the island Cambria Britannica? Could you please share the countertop material on the perimeter?

• PRO
    Roanoke Woodworking Inc.
    7 years ago

The countertops on the islands is Cambria "Britannica", and the perimeter countertops are Cambria "Torquay".

• tedbixby
    7 years ago

When considering the French doors, think of how they affect traffic flow and the layout of furniture when they are open. I've had French doors before and as nice as they look, I like that I can open sliders and not worry about the doors shutting when the wind picks up and have more control as to how wide I want the door open for fresh air.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Agree with tedbixby AND the slider type doors better at keeping out mother nature than French Doors. I do love French Doors, don't get me wrong, but perhaps this isn't the best place for them.

• mschnapp
    3 years ago

IMHO I hate 2 islands. I love to cook and the idea of having to walk around 2 islands is insane to me! I'd rather have more storage space in a vertical pantry instead or one large island.