Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wongson

Is my boys' room done?

wongson
11 years ago
We just "finished" our 3 year old boys' room - new paint, carpet, bedding, etc. I'm SO bad at accessorizing as I'm pretty minimalist and I'm even worse at looking at my work objectively. I also think my amateur picture taking doesn't do the room justice. Do you think I'm "done" with this room for now? If not, any suggestions? The wall that you don't see is a closet that has a full-length growth-chart ruler next to it.

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    11 years ago
    Cute room. I would relocate the tall chest of drawers to where the bean bag chair is. The tall chest of drawers seems to over power the low beds. Can you place the beds on a wall with the night small stand between them?
  • Margaret Keckler
    11 years ago
    It lacks 'fun'. Reminds me more of a college dorm room than a little boys room. What are their interests? There doesn't seem to be much that reflects who the boys are. Sports? Books? Animals? Games?
  • mmers
    11 years ago
    I'm sure once your boys get in and play, there will be lots that reflects who they are. Personally I don't like kids' rooms that are 'decorated' with all sorts of 'stuff'' that the adults figured would be fun for them. What do the boys want?
  • einportlandor
    11 years ago
    Agree with swapping the dresser if possible, but otherwise I think it looks great. With little kids, simple is better. Most days the room will be littered with toys, books, and dirty socks. And they outgrow themes as fast as they outgrow their shoes. Put the money you don't spend into their college accounts -- you're going to need it (says the voice of experience).
  • Madeline
    11 years ago
    What a sweet room your little men have! I love the use of red and I like how you strung up art. If anything I could see one more of those put up. Do they have access to a mirror in their closet? My Godson was picking out his clothes quite seriously by age 4, with definite favs. You have the beanbag, maybe there's room for a child-size rocker, or a table to sit at and do arts. Or am I rushing three year olds?
  • libradesigneye
    11 years ago
    It is wonderful and the palette accomodates toys beautifully. If you had left it cluttered, it would be hard to post for the toy comments, but I see the layers of loveys on the beds ;-). Here's a few comments. Lower the art over the red chest - since beds are so low, everything needs to come down to scale. Leave the other star string high enough that mr. caelen can't grab art off the display rail, but otherwise, you could simply layer one underneath and one above to visually "fill" the wall as they do more art. Blocking sight lines between pillows is smart at this age. Here's what I'd add: something tall on the chest to help balance the lamp, and twin art elements - maps would be a good thing to frame with a large portrait matting and maybe a green painted frame for a pop of another color. That would be my primary suggestion - you've got it matching so well that it is time for the unexpected. Over time, add a cube shelving system that holds basket inserts of toys, books, & lego buckets, a kid size table and chairs for the middle of the room or a round ikea polypropolene rug to play on would be fun too. Look for different shades of blue, primary yellows and greens.
  • Ducktuck
    11 years ago
    I like it the way it is. I love the Montessori concept of keeping it simple so that your children are not over stimulated. We have kept our boys room very minimal in decorations for this purpose.
  • Keitha
    11 years ago
    I like the room but would rearrange it a bit. I suggest putting both beds on "Conner" wall with the nightstand between the beds. Move the chest to the wall on the left and put the red dresser on the wall where the chest was. Also when you install the artwork over the red chest hang it lower. :-)
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    11 years ago
    I would figure out an easy storage area for the toys where they can pull out the toys and put them back in quickly.

The art is hung too high. Also I'd add more interesting art or images that might be interesting to them.

Something about the arrangement of the room doesn't seem right. Maybe as suggested above, if you move the chest of drawers, it'll be better.

A friend of mine painted one wall in their kids' room like a black chalkboard. The kids would draw on their chalkboard and wipe as they wished. A little bit messy with the chalk but really fun and keeps the kids in their rooms!

Good luck! So fun to have 2 3-year-olds running around :)
  • catbella123
    11 years ago
    What about a wallpaper border mid level running on the walls. I think it might unify your room. Use a color in the bedspreads. Place their names abouve the border. I think they are a bit too low.
    I agree the high chest needs to be moved and both beds be on the same wall with a night stand between.
  • Darzy
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I like it a lot. I may consider this..to "mix it up". Paint Caelan's wall navy, then paint his name/letters the orange/red. That way, there is a bit of distinction between the boys bed and provides a bolder look and accent the wall and boy's names. Small change, big impact.
  • PRO
    Egoist Design
    11 years ago
    I would do matching table lamps, add art work to where the chest is and consider adding some wall shelves to balance the look. The "bottom" appears heavier than the walls due to carpeting, furniture and bright colors. The walls need a little more detail in this case, in my opinion. Otherwise, very cute. Love the names above the beds.
  • linlac
    11 years ago
    What about some wall appliqués? Easy to put on and take off. I did my grand children's rooms with them and they make the room.
  • catbella123
    11 years ago
    sure appliqués may look nice or large drawings on the walls. You could get creative.The ones i have attached are not necessarily for a kids room but you can get the idea. A version of a painted tree painted on a wall can have hooks to hang stuffed animals or coats. Might have a little "center" with a toy chest or shelves with toys on them, perhaps a little table.
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    Lovely room, but I'd place both beds on the same wall. Preferably not under the window.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    I think if you added a stripe horizontally it would finish it. Keep it simple, just a shade or too lighter than the wall color. Just above the height of the long dresser. I like this area rug- a great place to play with cars or build with legos and create a city.
    ducduc™ · More Info
    Langer Rug · More Info
  • wongson
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Good to know I didn't totally go wrong!

A few thoughts and questions:

- My first inclination was to put both beds on the same wall and the dressers on the other side of the room too but when we arranged the furniture this way, the flow felt better. When you first walk into the room, the room feels more balanced. The other way, I felt like my eyes were drawn straight to the two beds with the dresser areas as an afterthought. However, trust me when I say it was a big debate and a hard decision! :)

- Totally agree with putting the truck picture lower. Thanks for pointing it out! I've never had to work with such low furniture!

- Kelly - love your horizontal stripe idea!

- At their age, I prefer their bedroom to be a quiet place with minimal distractions. Instead of toys, the color, bedsheet and accessory choices were all based off of their interests. Their toys are "locked" in the locker dresser. With that said, Susan Mills Design - I LOVE your wall bookshelf idea. Where is that from? Also, how would that fit on the wall with the beanbag and hanging art? I attached another photo for a better look.

- Finally, I found a twins picture frame that was a gift and that I would LOVE to use. Attached is a pic of it on the taller dresser. Is there a place for it in this room? On the wall above the taller dresser?

By the way, we already had potty accidents on the sheets so I've already had to change them. :)
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think the arrangement of furniture looks like it gives them more floor playing space as well Try taking painters tape and run a practice stripe on the wall to see if you like it.
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    The individual components of the room are very nice...love the red "locker" console and colorful automobile art. I would suggest giving the wall decor a little more punch with some fun traffic signs. Take a look at this cute room.
    Goshen Ridge Model Home · More Info
  • PRO
    Dwellings LLC
    11 years ago
    You've received many nice ideas for giving the room that extra punch that you feel is missing and any of them will be successful. From a safety standpoint, just as you would not have the cord for raising and lowering the shade loose next to the window, I feel the same about the art work hung on the string along the wall. It looks cute but 3 year olds get into all kinds of mischief and I see that as a potential dangerous situation. You can get inexpensive frames in colors and hang the pictures on the wall instead. I'm not trying to rain on the fun but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    oh, and switch the lamps so you have the blue on the stained piece just to move the color around the room.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    The bookshelf is from RH Baby and Child. It also is available in green. Great way to store books for kids.