Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atelierla

Master bathroom/closet layout help!

Atelier LA
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've been struggling with the layout of my master bath and closet so I'm turning to you all because there are so many clever minds here. My architect has been of NO help, but it's too late in the game to hire a new one. Here are some of the layouts I've come up with (I used Ikea planning software because it was easily available so if the shower doesn't show a door but there is space for it, imagine that it's there or that it's open).

The current space is off the master bedroom and has access to the backyard, which I'd like to maintain. The room is 12'x12' and I envision sitting in the tub with the backdoor open looking out onto the backyard. It currently has a six foot sliding door (that must be replaced) and that is strangely not centered in the wall. I don't want to add any more openings to the back wall so the only structural changes would involve closing a window or narrowing the doorway. This means the tub can't go on the right side (no view) or be placed horizontally in the top left corner (would mostly block the door, unless you think that's okay).

We definitely would like a 66"-72" long soaking tub and a nice sized shower (36"-42" x 60"). I've been playing with the idea of a shower in which one can walk through to the backyard and/or the tub in the shower stall idea. The only thing is that while I think both look cool, I'm thinking there's no reason for the tub to get wet and exposed to soap scum everyday, and same for the back door. If the best layout means accessing the bathroom through the closet or vice versa, I'm open to that.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Atelier LA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are some of my inspiration (for layout, not necessarily the finishes except for the all white bathroom) photos. My plan is to use a freestanding tub but I'm not married to the idea.

• PRO
    Atelier LA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Jerome,

Here is the existing room layout with doors and windows. I had to cut and paste a few layouts together for the measurements, so apologies for the wonky misalignment at the top. The orientation of this room is the same as in the proposed layouts (in the proposed layouts there are also proposed doors coming from the master bedroom side).

Thank you!

Deborah

• PRO
    Jerome DeMarco ART.chitecture
    7 years ago

Hi Deborah, I've attached a sketch of a layout that might work for your wants and needs. Also, the sliding doors can be changed to swing and a glass shower enclosure with a half wall between shower and commode if you prefer. Hope this is helpful, best of luck. Jerome DeMarco ART.chitecture

Atelier LA thanked Jerome DeMarco ART.chitecture
  • PRO
    Atelier LA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, Jerome. Since I want a view to the backyard when relaxing in the tub, the tub needs to be on the opposite side (where the shower and toilet are), so I will try flipping your drawing to see if that works. I assume you think the separate tub and shower is preferable to having a wet room combination or crowding the tub and shower together?

What dimensions do you have for the shower in your sketch?

• PRO
    Jerome DeMarco ART.chitecture
    7 years ago

How about this? Move the windows and door to back yard as needed. The shower is 4'x5' and the tub is 72" both in a wet room with an exterior door.

Best of luck. Jerome DeMarco ART.chitecture

Atelier LA thanked Jerome DeMarco ART.chitecture
  • Denise Marchand
    7 years ago

You have the space for everything you want and you definitely are thinking outside the box.

Here is a floor plan for you to consider. Consider the shower as you first enter the bathroom instead of taking up important visuals. The free standing tub is centered and the large door is now a 48" wide double door, which can be the fantastic pivot door you posted. If you install full height medicine cabinets (custom or Robern) and have a curved cabinet facing the tub, with the same curve, you will have plenty of storage.

Please let us know of your progress. I am so curious what you will do!

Atelier LA thanked Denise Marchand
  • er612
    7 years ago

Atelier LA thanked er612
  • PRO
    Atelier LA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, lots of food for thought! Thank you all for taking the time to draw these layouts. I'm going to play around with these ideas.

I love the idea of a completely freestanding tub, however Denise, in your sketch, is the access through the exterior backyard doors blocked? Would there be a way to put the tub in that curved alcove and still have enough room to circulate to the vanity at the top left in order to leave enough access through the backyard doors? Unfortunately the software that I'm using is so rudimentary that I can't add a curved tub to see if that works.

I'm leaning towards designs that keep the shower and tub away from the bathroom entrance because this bathroom will be used and just a few months ago, I wiped out when I rushed from the vanity to the door with the tub in between, and didn't see a little bit of water outside the tub. I know my boyfriend and I might occasionally miss wiping up water from the shower or tub after using them, and I didn't enjoy the fall very much.

While the wet room concept seems cool, according to what I've been reading on another thread it's also polarizing, so for resale purposes, I think it will be better to keep the tub and shower somewhat separate, or at least not in one big enclosure. I don't think a potential buyer would be turned off by having them separate, but he/she might be turned off if they're together. Jerome, those are exactly the right measurements, so I'm glad to see it works in that new layout.

• PRO
    Atelier LA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also Denise, I must say how much I LOVE those mirrors on poles. I pinned similar ones a while back. They're so cool.

• PRO
    Atelier LA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

er612 - what are the dimensions in your first sketch? Tub size, shower size, closet size, and walkway clearance? Thank you.

• Denise Marchand
    7 years ago

I thought the doors were just personal and for the view. Now I see the objective. Great idea!

It may be better to give room for the person standing at the vanity when you first enter. Most of the plans seem like a tight squeeze when entering. I would love to see the vanity at the angled wall to be sculptural next to a free standing tub.

On the left of the entrance consider a ceiling to floor cabinet - could be simple doors, pivot hinges and simple handles with adjustable shelves interior.

I'm not a big fan of the closet in the bathroom and would prefer to enter from the bedroom. Just worried about the moisture and my shoes!

Sit a round vessel sink on top and have the faucet mounted on the wall. Exposing the drain pipes is ok and looks fine in a nickel or chrome finish.

V V V V V V

• felizlady
    7 years ago
    I think you will regret having a closet in the bathroom. Your clothes will be subjected to moisture every time you open the door. The door to the closet should only be from the bedroom. I am assuming this is a new structure because you have the tub and shower all over the place in your mock-ups. Plumbing isn't easy or cheap to move if it is already there.
    Atelier LA thanked felizlady
  • PRO
    Atelier LA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

felizlady, the room is an empty bonus room off the master bedroom. It's not accessible to any of the other rooms except through the master, so it was either just going to be an office and not really add value to the house, or become the master bath and closet so that a third bedroom could be added within the existing footprint, by eliminating a half bath between the bedroom and mudroom, the current master bedroom closets, and making the current full bath a 5' x 9' guest bath.

I've always wondered about these master closets that connect to bathrooms. Does good ventilation not suffice?

• PRO
    Atelier LA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You got it Denise, my thought was that if I or future owners put in a pool or had kids running around in the backyard that we could come right into the bathroom instead of dripping water or mud through the house. I never considered the vanities in that layout, I'll play around with it. I was just thinking that one larger vanity for me with all my products plus a smaller one for my boyfriend with his three products might be a good way to use the space. Thanks!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!