Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cangunaydin

Is this covered patio worth the cost?

Can Gunaydin
7 years ago
Hello there! My family and I are building a new home. The builder is asking an additional $7,100 for a covered patio. Attached below are images of what the covered patio will look like. Is this covered patio worth the cost? We're so indecisive. We must make a decision quickly though because we signed a contract.

Comments (25)

• felizlady
    7 years ago
    What you show is not a patio...it is a covered porch and is not large enough to serve as a patio.
  • Can Gunaydin
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The builder is calling it a covered patio. A small one I suppose. It's around 140 Sq. ft.
  • shirlpp
    7 years ago

That is a small area and you will see that when you are in the house for a while, you will want to extend it. Your money will then go to waste - do not do it...Wait.

• PRO
    ANGEL ADVANCED TECHNOLOGIES - Electrical
    7 years ago
    Will there be screens or is it going to be opened to the elements? Is there a over head Light or fan and a couple convenience outlets? If these items are a part of the scope then your contractor seems ok, not cheap. I've seen them built 4x the size for the same money with screening but no electric. You will enjoy the patio right out of the gate though. Negotiate an uncovered area patio for 500.00 more to grill and be able to enlarge more easily. The concrete will be more easily priced reasonably if he does all concrete pours in one phase. FWIW..
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    Price seems reasonable to me and doing it later will likely cost more. Heck I'd ask to see if you can make it 50% deeper, 10x14 is an ok size as it is. Screening is easy to add later if you want it.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

That covered porch will make the inside of the adjacent room dark. What not consider a larger patio in the future with an extendable awning that can be retracted when not needed?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

I agree that is just a covered porch 140 sq ft. is not enough room to even put a couple od chairs save the money and do a decent patio with an awning down the road

• nikir
    7 years ago
    We just built our home 2 years ago, so I know how hard it is to make these decisions quickly under pressure. That said, the price doesn't seem bad, but the space is somewhat small. If it is something you can add later without it looking like an add on I think you'd be happier living there for a while to see how you'll use the space. That will allow you to see how much sun the space gets, how much room you need as well as how much the roof will block light from the adjoining room. We have a 12x13 screened porch that was built with our house. We use it every chance we get and love it, but in hindsight I would have made it larger. Good luck with your decision and congratulations on your new home!
  • dyliane
    7 years ago

too small

• sunnydrew
    7 years ago
    I have a 12 x 12 covered deck that is only a wood floor. I love the extra space outside.
    You have to consider that yours is built with a solid foundation and slab, attached to the rest of the house and that you can always enclose it later. To have someone come and do this later will be more expensive, not to mention the disturbance to your yard and your daily routine. Plus you can start enjoying it right away.
    Also you can roll the cost into your mortgage, rather than cash out of pocket later. ( you can say that is good or bad, of course).
    I sold new homes 15 years ago and a screened porch option was around that price or up to $10,000.
    I hope this is helpful and enjoy your new home!
  • wacokid
    7 years ago

Actually this is what you will need if you want to add another patio that will have to be poured at a lower elevation. (See how high the slider is above ground) It matches the house, does not look like a cheap add on, the price is reasonable. I would do it. Throw the cost into your mortgage.....boom...............

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

It's small but the price seems fair to me, depends upon what your needs are. Would be nice to extend it out some.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It does seem small, but the best question is- is it worth it, to you? Will you get use out of it? If so, find the best size/best way to do and go!

I'm not a huge fan of leaving building projects on a new home as "build 2.0", if you know you want them, Outside of a large contracting budget, adding on in the future will be more expensive. And honestly? You're going to go through months of "punch" and settling issues, things that have gone "oops!" and all the rest. Constant "fix"/renovation can really ruin the experience of moving into a new home.

• Meg
    7 years ago
    I'm not sure of your region, but where I am, this would be very reasonable! If size is smaller than you wish, perhaps you could extend it? Having built two homes, I do understand that adding builder upgrades can be much more expensive than doing them on your own later...however, I think you also have to consider the value added of having certain things done prior to moving in. Living through renovations is never easy...plus I've found that the process of getting estimates, scheduling the work, then of course actually getting the work done takes so much time. If having a covered patio is high on your list of wants, I would just do it! You can always add a decorative patio adjacent to it in the future if you find you need more space...probably not all of your outdoor space needs to be covered, right?
  • smileythecat
    7 years ago

It should be possible to build it out and not add too much to the 7100$. How much do you like the idea of the covered porch? IMO it adds value and would be easy to bury the cost in the mortgage. The only real drawback is it makes that room behind the slider dark.

• athomeeileen
    7 years ago

Make it bigger if you can. Big enough for a dining table and chairs or a seating area. I love to drink tea outside when it's raining.

• rocketjcat
    7 years ago
    If you do it now make it bigger. You can screen it later if you are in a buggy climate. You evidently get snow, so summer months are valuable. Ours is used daily in our short summer. Ours is about 12 x 15 and we wish it was larger.
  • Can Gunaydin
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for your time and help, everyone! We decided to add the covered patio. We're in Colorado and it snows often! Even though it's a small space, I think it'll work for us! :)
  • Bailey R
    7 years ago

I think you made a wise decision. Congrats!

• athomeeileen
    7 years ago

You'll love it!

• Nolan Hughes
    5 years ago

Congrats, you spent $7,000 to cover your grill and two outdoor chairs, that is if this is the type of "patio" you got. That picture looks like an outdoor porch that is no bigger than 8' x 6' of usable space. I bet the people who use that new construction house in the one pictured are so disappointed b/c their outdoor space lacks curb appeal. I'd rather have a small deck that has stairs to the grass with an uncovered patio if these were my two options.

This "patio" proves no real value since it really has no appeal since it is so small for a deck. Could have saved $3K and screw the cheap, small gazebo built by someone & add an awning. Assume a grill and add in the chairs for a table & you probably couldn't put a table bigger than 4'x3' that sits just 4 people. You don't want you patio tables & chairs to be too close to the grill.

• Jeff G
    5 years ago

Ouch . . . And 15 months too late.

• Cora
    3 years ago

I don't think the price was unreasonable. Concrete and roofing materials are costly and it looks solid. It does look small but I don't know the size of your family. If it is a place for 2 -4 people to sit and enjoy the morning or evening it looks good. I have a patio that has a cover and I use it constantly. Even when I am cooking dinner sometimes I go out there to peel the potatoes or apples so I can watch the birds and squirrels. I hope you are enjoying it. Your hose looks great.

• Cora
    3 years ago

Oops-house !