Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leeya_mndoza

Need ideas for non-Ikea sink with Ikea Sektion cabinet

Leeya Mend
7 years ago
Has anyone tried a non-Ikea undermount farmhouse sink with an Ikea Sektion 36" base cabinet?

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    Generally you get a 36" wide 24" tall over fridge cabinet and finish with fillers. It's not easy if you aren't familiar with IKEA.
  • Leeya Mend
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @Ellsworth i don't understand why a fridge cabinet would matter with my sink configuration. is that a typo?
  • PRO
    Linda
    7 years ago

That's the type of cabinet used for supporting the sink. IKEA cabinets are designed to be used as purchased and cutting the supports is not recommended. So, use a smaller cabinet and fill in the spaces with filler strips rather than cutting out the top front of a regular sink base.

Leeya Mend thanked Linda
  • Leeya Mend
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Linda i see. so instead of using a base cabinet (36" width, 30" height), i should get a wall cabinet or over fridge cabinet (36" width, 24" height). which farmhouse sink have you tried? I'm wondering if the wall cabinet be able to support the weight of the farmhouse sink?

We've assembled Ikea furniture but this is the first time we will be using Ikea for kitchen cabinets.

• PRO
    Linda
    7 years ago

Sorry but I haven't done exactly that. I was just explaining the above answer which had confused you. The only IKEA cabinets I have used were assembled by the previous owner and they used IKEA's farmhouse sink. I have a farmhouse sink in my own kitchen which is actually supported by two chrome poles sitting in heavy duty closet rod brackets. There's no cabinet under the sink, just a radiator.

I'm not a huge fan of IKEA cabinets. I understand they work for some circumstances and have lots of good accessories but they aren't a large savings over other mass market cabinets when you figure in the value of your time and effort. If you live in a house where their dimensions fit, you're in business but I tend to work in older homes with lots of layout challenges.

• HU-785268746
    4 years ago

What if the sink is smaller than the 36” cabinet? I bought a 28” Krause undermount SS sink and having trouble figuring out how to put it in a 36” ikea sink cabinet. The fabricator said they will use clips, but Traemand said I will have to build a shelf for the sink to sit on? Any advice? Thanks, Kari

• Marianna Piller
    2 years ago

IKEA sells support brackets for under mount sinks that can be installed at the required width for your particular installation. The part number is 602.845.81

• Marianna Piller
    2 years ago

M

• Marianna Piller
    2 years ago

@Linda. No one pays me for my time and effort so for me DIY jobs that I can easily do, including the installation on IKEA kitchen cabinets are a HUGE savings.