Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margieh21

Any window treatment suggestions?

Maggie
11 years ago
My new home's living room has several windows. (5 in total). I am debating if curtains will be too much for this room being that there at so many windows. I am undecided between woven roman shades, or bamboo shades with curtains or plain ol' horizontal blinds. Notice that the stair rail overlaps one of the windows :-/

Comments (46)

• PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    Have you looked at Hunter Douglas Silhouettes? They are beautiful and would complement the look of your room. You don't need anything extra.
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for your comments. I will definitely check out hunter Douglas.
    @latifeh- yes that is one of my options. My concern is that it may be "too much" being that there are 5 windows. And 1 window if very narrow. Do I leave that one only with roman shade and no curtains??
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    The window by the stairs should be the same as the other windows.
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Engrav's Decorating - I looked at the site you suggested. Very pretty. What color would you suggest??
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    Here is what the Silhouettes look like.
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That is another question..... Should ALL first floor windows also be the same??
  • User
    11 years ago
    No, the windows in the same room need to have the same elements. I think you're limited to a blind or shade that is an inside mount. I think a bamboo or woven wood would help to warm your space.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    The cool thing about silhouettes is when they are open the sheer is white. The louver that opens and closes can be a color and I would blend it with your wall color.
  • User
    11 years ago
    That was no to leaving one window with just a shade, and yes to they all need to be the same...
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Have you decorated with those before? Are they durable?
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    For more color, I would replace the sconces on the wall with something of color to warm up the wall space.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    An Art Piece where the scones are.
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @bluenan- thank you for clearing that up. The window near the stair case is my problem. :-(
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    They are very durable and of all the blinds out there if you have them professionally cleaned they are the only blinds that look like the day you bought them 5-10 years later.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    You don't have any cats do you? Cats can ruin them.
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    No cats. So curtains may be too much right?
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I like this look, but don't know if it'll look too boring without curtains.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    It would be nice to add color with curtains but in your situation I would add color in art work, pillows and if that isn[t enough put an area rug in front of your sofa to add color and pizazz.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    Whichever treatment you choose, I think you will want to add colorful accessories.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    Artwork above your piano and in place of the sconces. I see you have an arrangement in a vase with reds. Add some red pillows. Find artwork with yellow, reds and oranges. You will be on your way to cozy.
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes. I know right now my room needs color. I have teal here and there and right now we can't paint. ($$) So, whatever I choose I should keep it the same throughout the first floor?
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Red, and yellow! Yes!! I like that.
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    So keeping the blind color a beige color or light wood should be okay as long as I add color elsewhere? Sorry for all the questions...:-/
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    Here is an example of using yellow and red together. Some art work for your walls.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    Be careful of beige as it could look dirty with the pretty yellow walls. There may be a natural bamboo that is neutral but not beige.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    I see you actually have three walls that could use art. On closer inspection, do you have a tile floor? An area rug will make a huge difference.
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I am searching for an area rug. And yes, right now ALL my walls are empty. It's a new home. :-). That is why I hung the sconces. The plain walls were driving me crazy. My kitchen cabinets are cinnamon and that has been my delay also. I didn't know it to carry same window treatment throughout.
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, to tile floor.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    Start with the rug. You can always add artwork. Do you have pictures of the kitchen? You can buy canvas frames from Michaels and purchase fabric and stretch the fabric on the canvas for your wall hangings. Then you can change your art work buy exchanging out your fabrics whenever you want. I like the sconces and maybe you could put them on either side of a piece of art work like over your piano.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    You could get buy with this rug which has orange and teal in it if you add orange pillows to your soft.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    I meant to say "sofa"
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    This one is more calm and has beige from the couch, looks like a little teal or blue flower in the corners with the red orange for
    fun color.
  • User
    11 years ago
    I think bamboo blinds similar to these will pull in your brown tones and warm the room. Personally I think white window coverings aren't the best choice for your room. I like the brown and teal and think you need to be careful adding orange to the mix, especially in something as large as a rug. Your colors are soothing and a blue-grey or grey will compliment, not fight. There is no orange or red in any of your furniture and just sticking an orange pillow on a couch will not make an orange rug make sense.
    Jenkins Baer Associates · More Info
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Engrave's- this is my kitchen
    Thank you everybody for all your ideas :-)
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    Very nice kitchen. It's just a matter of accessorizing in this room too. If you keep your receipts, you always return it. Try different things and and enjoy the process.
  • PRO
    Engrav's Decorating
    11 years ago
    I agree bluenan...art, rug and pillows. Always repeat an accent three times. One pillow will not cut the mustard and if she can get the teal, her current accent color, in the rug that would be just even better.
  • latifeh hammad
    11 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/1813261
    It's treacly hard to know how to deal with this window but I thought if you used the curtains and no it's not gonna look crowded look at the first picture three next to each other and the one by the stairs try this tricky solution
  • latifeh hammad
    11 years ago
    Have you ever thought of valances as an option http://houzz.com/photos/815601
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I like curtains but where would I put the rod for the window next to staircase??
    I don't like valances too much. :-/
  • latifeh hammad
    11 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/3046185
    I am trying to show you the options hope that helped you
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you latifeh
  • latifeh hammad
    11 years ago
    Put the rod next to the rail and put the panels try to tuck the panel next to the stairs in a way that doesn't cover the window in a way to make it look smaller than the others
  • Maggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The rail overlaps the window
  • latifeh hammad
    11 years ago
    I was browsing the rooms and saw this-in my opinion-perfect idea http://houzz.com/photos/205092