Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lvtothe123

Shower floor tiles

lvtothe123
7 years ago
I love this design but was cautioned against using the large planks on the floor because it would be a slip hazard and have no traction. How was that addressed in this shower? I want to build mine the same way this one was done!
Master Bathroom · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
    7 years ago

Hello, and thank you for your question! Every tile product has a slip coefficient rating, or a numerical range of how slippery the surface is. We
    recommend working with your tile provider to evaluate if this product is meant
    for wet areas as some products are strictly intended for dry surfaces. One of our strategies is to use the larger format tile in the
    dry areas of bathroom, and use a smaller tile version of that same tile with the proper slip coefficient rated for wet
    areas in the shower. The wet-rated tile will have a little more surface texture to provide better traction. We hope this helps, and good luck with your project.

Be sure to check out our website at dspacestudio.com for more award-winning designs, and 'like'
    us on Facebook and/or Instagram!

• lvtothe123
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks - Which wet-rated tile did you use and can you confirm the size tile on the floor vs the wall (I've seen various answers to the tile size in this particular shower)? Was it honed instead of polished to help the traction?
  • PRO
    dSPACE Studio Ltd, AIA
    7 years ago

The tile on the shower walls and shower ceiling are 12" x 24" Calcatta which were pre-cut into 4" x 24" planks at the factory. The
    flooring inside the shower and inside the main bathroom are the full 12"
    x 24" tiles. A honed finish will give more traction, but again, confirm with your tile manufacturer or provider to be sure your desired tile and finish is acceptable in wet locations.

-dSPACE