Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nycjerseygirl

Bathroom design

nycjerseygirl
7 years ago

I want to use this tile for the floor on my very small bathroom (daltile fidenza bianco). I choose this because the bathroom is right next to the kitchen and it has the same floor tile. You have to walk through the kitchen to get to the bathroom. So I want both spaces to have continuity.

Because the bathroom is so small, I want to use a lighter wall tile so it doesnt feel dark or like a cave. But I can't figure out what will work best. Will greatly appreciate suggestions.

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Why are you putting tile on the wall? What size bathroom? Is it a full bath or half bath? Need more info. What does kitchen look like?

nycjerseygirl thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

post a pic of the kitchen looking into the bathroom so we can see

nycjerseygirl thanked Beth H. :
  • nycjerseygirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I meant the shower wall (wall above the bathtub). It's a full bathroom with a tub, approximately 50sq ft. I have attached some pictures.

• nycjerseygirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Will greatly appreciate any additional suggestions. Thanks!

• bunnyllg
    7 years ago
    Sure you can use same tile on the floor. You can cut the tiles in half and lay in a running or offset brick patter since it is a small bath room.
  • bunnyllg
    7 years ago
    Sorry
    nycjerseygirl thanked bunnyllg
  • nycjerseygirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sophie, do you think the subway tile in white will work?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

are you keeping that same floor tile or putting down the same tile from the kitchen? if the latter, use the biscuit or bone color since that goes w/that color stone. If you are leaving that current floor tile, then the white would match.

• nycjerseygirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok, I want to replace with the color the beige tile in the kitchen because the contrast between the current bathroom tile and kitchen is too much.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

ok. then beige tile, bone colored subways for wall. if you do white, you again will have too much of a contrast. Like Sophie said, biscuit (bone) would work w/that travertine-looking stone. Is that what you want? I would not put those particular floor tiles on the walls. If you want them on the floor, fine. If you are removing the bead board because you want tile, then do a plain subway looking tile. They have 4X12 subways you can use if you want something larger.

or you could do a crema marfil type tile if thats the look you want.

or actual travertine on floor and subway travertine on wall

• nycjerseygirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hahah didn't realize biscuit is same as bone. I like that idea actually. I was thinking of limiting the wall tile to the shower area only and then drywalling the other areas that had tile previously. Similar to the attached pictures. These are also the color scheme I would like to eventually end up with. That grey beige combination.

• acm
    7 years ago

Or skip tile on the walls entirely! Paint is a good friend to smaller baths!

nycjerseygirl thanked acm
  • nycjerseygirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm starting to lean more towards the bone subway tile. The other tile I came across is the attached is the porcelain Calcutta gold

• PRO
    Sticks & Stones Home Remodeling
    7 years ago

Sounds like a fun project. I tend to agree with the suggestions of Beth H. You could also continue the bead board and chair rail on the walls instead of tile (if you want to be budget conscious), followed by a nice pattern of tile on the floor. If possible, use a tile design/boarder to help with the floor transition between the kitchen and bath; this might allow you to remove the large tile transition (depending on floor height differences). You could consider painting the bead board or the wall above the bead board or both. By doing the floors and walls, you could potentially breathe new life into the shower tile (not sure of it's condition though).

Sticks & Stones Home Remodeling

nycjerseygirl thanked Sticks & Stones Home Remodeling
  • nycjerseygirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks sticks. I was planning to have the tile only above the bathtub and then drywall every other wall area.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

The Calacatta could be nice. get a sample tile. some of those porcelain look- a-likes can look, crappy. You don't want to go too busy on the floor and in the shower.

• nycjerseygirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmmm ok may just stick with a plain one. Definitely don't want it to be busy. Thanks.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

nycjerseygirl - I see some "flashes" of color in the kitchen. The turquoise tea kettle, a aqua towel, etc. I wonder if you could save some money and keep the floor, paint the vanity white (like kitchen cabinets) and give this bathroom a fun update that way, without breaking the bank. The kitchen flooring is what it is. But I think if you do some "eye catching" things in the bathroom, you can turn it into an eclectic, fun space. Here are some examples. Notice the flooring is mainly white and black although I did throw in some beige possibilities, just jazzing things up a bit.

Mountview · More Info
    White vanity, turquoise basket, and a crazy fun fish wallpaper. I think this type of look would be so fun.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Eclectic Bathroom · More Info
    If you want to keep the beige affect, you could get "fun" with similar colors but a herringbone pattern to mix it up.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

New Construction - Bethany Beach, Del. · More Info
    Here is another fun one with fish, white cabinets and white and black tile.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

How often is this bathroom used as a full bath?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Nashville Residence · More Info
    By keeping your floor, painting the vanity white and just adding bright colors like a turquoise rug and colorful towels with everything else mainly white you could get this kind of look.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Do any of these ideas appeal? Just wanted to give you some more "daring" options! But fun ones! There is also a ton of really great wallpapers out there that would be great, either more "dressy" or just plain fun. Flamingoes have come back in fashion as well.

• nycjerseygirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo, thanks for the suggestions. I do like the idea of painting the vanity white. The floor with the herringbone pattern is also interesting.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I think the herringbone in a brown and beige wood like tile could work well with your kitchen flooring. However, I wouldn't pair that with white vanity. The vanity could be a color or wood look in darker finish than you currently have. You could pair with colorful wallpaper as well.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

i like the idea of a smaller herringbone pattern (that other one is Chevron btw). you could use real travertine is you prefer. (it isn't that costly compared to the porcelain and it's a small bathroom). here's examples w/3x6 subway and then a 6x12 or 6x18 tile in the darker travertine (maybe mexican noce or walnut)

• Linda Stacey
    7 years ago

No tile on the wall!!!! Do a wood wainscot

• Jo N
    7 years ago
    No suggestions on the wall tile, but very much supporting your idea to replace the floor tile if you have the budget. A continuous floor makes a huge difference visually! All the best.
    nycjerseygirl thanked Jo N
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Funny, I would normally like the continuous flooring, but somehow with the kitchen adjoining a bathroom, I would want a visual separation. I can't quite imagine how this works functionally? Do you use as the full bath a lot? Or is it more a "powder/guest" room?

• nycjerseygirl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Beth. I love that herringbone floor pattern.

Jo, I agree. I have lived in the condo for a while and it bugs me each that the floors are so different.

Flo, its a small condo and that's the only bathroom.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Holy washroom! That is really awful. Sorry for you. But hope you have some good ideas here to help make it more "friendly" for you. Best of luck.