Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debesq06

Mirror off center from sink-HELP

DR
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

After renovating bathroom and installing vanity we are faced with dilemma that our window is preventing us from installing a properly centered mirror. Any suggestions desperately welcome as I do not want to drive myself crazy looking at an uncentered mirror or having a new bathroom with this one glaring issue. Some thoughts were perhaps no mirror and place on on side of sink instead; or a mirror that matches frame and size of window on other side of sink to make the wall symmetrical (even though still won't be centered over sink; or some sort of barn door type mirror that slides back and forth.

Comments (28)

• virginia lynn
    7 years ago

It would drive me insane if it was not centered. I would take the trim off of the window and install one big mirror over the entire area.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Why wasn't this considered WITH the vanity? Sink should have been placed LEFT of the window on LEFT side of vanity, and not centered on it, and vanity custom with top to fit snugly with side and back splash risers into the niche. OR window removed, repair to exterior and center as you have it.

At this point, hanging TWO identically from the ceiling is probably best, or a slider ( take into account window casing depth) . and protect the drywall with something too......at least on the back side.

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    7 years ago

Do not fret! I have the perfect solution. Measure the entire window, including outer molding, inner molding, and window itself. Go to your favorite local glass cutter and have a mirror cut to the same size as window. Another way to "measure" the window is to cut a piece of dollar store mat board to fit the window so you know exactly the size. Use the identical size molding that was used on the window for the mirror. Hang and enjoy!

• jck910
    7 years ago

Agree with Jan. Was the sink there before or did you redesign layout?

• User
    7 years ago

This would drive me mad also. It doesn't look like a custom vanity. I would try to return it, or eat the cost and get a new one with a sink on the left...

Also...move the outlet to the other side...with counter space to the right, you need the outlet there too.

• Sammy
    7 years ago

Great finds, Houssaon!

• PRO
    Reach Design
    7 years ago

I would look for a different home for this vanity and get a new vanity with off center sink... this would drive me nuts. What was the idea behind current configuration?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Honestly, the WASTE $$$ that goes into trying to save money......is heartbreaking. The lack of a plan with equally planned outcome just doubles the heartbreak. WAH. !!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

not to beat a dead horse, but why wasn't the sink configured to the left? You would have a spot for mirror, and plenty of counter space to the right. Instead you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. get a new vanity and countertop that fits against the walls properly.

even if you do the sliding mirror, it would look odd because half the window will be covered when in place. You can't do a mirror that would cover the entire widow and give you full coverage, because then it would be too big when slid back to the left. Can you modify this vanity for a sink to the left and just get a new top? the countertop should touch the walls and fillers for the gap below.

• DR
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@janmoyer the only "wasted money"'would be hirung a "pro" like yourself that cannot even offer a viable solution. This is a "design dilemma" Board. If you do not have suggestions to solving a problem to offer I would ask you not respond to this post anymore. Your obnoxious words offer zero help. This bathroom is hardly on cheap... I'm looking for suggested solutions (which some were so kind to give) not Your rude editorial. Please go back to designing your cookie cutter Midwest ranches. Thanks.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

deb, then just fill the other side with a complete mirror. butt it up to and underneath the window trim. washing your face and brushing teeth doesn't really require a center face view! you can step to the left to do other stuff that doesn't require the sink.

DR thanked Beth H. :
  • chiflipper
    7 years ago

Deb - sorry that the truth hurts. With the bare modicum of planning this would not be a issue.

• chinch
    7 years ago

Sell the vanity and countertop and get a new configuration with sink on left.

• User
    7 years ago

You needed an alcove vanity, custom, with left bowl, designed by a professional cabinet designer, and installed by a cabinet installer. Instead, you tried to make off the rack work, and didn't even leave enough space with that generic ''solution'' to ever paint the walls or clean dust bunnies out from those tiny gaps. It just goes to show what can happen DIY design when you don't know what you don't know. And fail to ask during the planning stage.

There is no solution that makes that awful kludge work. You need a different vanity, designed by someone who knows how to design a bathroom.

• torreykm
    7 years ago

How about a framless oval mirror?

• jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    Mirror the whole wall.
  • privateprivateprivate
    7 years ago
    How about taking the trim off the window, then mirroring the entire wall, except for the window glass? Then you would have a wall of glass - some of its mirrored, some of its a view. The trick is to have a broad expanse of glass left to right.

The mirror hung from the ceiling, away from the wall, isn't a bad solution either. By hanging away from the wall, you create a new (forward) plane. For this to work well, you've got to pull the trim away from the window. A very narrow stainless trim for the window will make this a modern cutting-edge design.
    DR thanked privateprivateprivate
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

If you could live with a seam in your top, you could have the left side removed and seamed to the right plus a little edge polishing.

DR thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • leelee
    7 years ago

Leave the window for how it looks on the outside of your home but go ahead and cover it from the inside. The window is what's causing the mirror to be a problem. Most baths do not have a window over the vanity. Let it go.

DR thanked leelee
  • C W
    7 years ago

I would mirror the whole wall

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

I could lie and say it's fine. I did offer a solution. I offered TWO, and actually three.. Hang two identical mirrors from the ceiling as one poster suggested above. Or as another suggested, a slide scenario to hide the window entirely. Or take out the window. I am sorry to say that none of these solutions will be as good as having considered outcome prior to buying a thing online, that put the particular dilemma off center and front, but NOT off CENTER. That's just truth. .......however painful . A quick click online can be like a quick surgery in your kitchen with a dull steak knife, and just as great a result : )

• PRO
    Pearl Remodeling
    7 years ago

Track mirror will be the best and most unique

DR thanked Pearl Remodeling
  • sandi125
    7 years ago
    Jan Moyer is right. You should have a left side sink. Now you have to come up with a patching solution. ( I have made those kind of mistakes too.). She is just being honest. It was a planning mistake. Good luck. I know your frustration!
  • shirlpp
    7 years ago

You wrote the solution in your original post, when you said to put in a mirror with a frame that matches the window. In this way, you will get the sink centered between the 2 frames. It's about the best that you can do, other than covering up the mirror...Good Luck.

• nmp19
    7 years ago
    Don't despair. For every problem, there is a solution. I live in a 1937 home and I have had many decorating dilemmas. But I just refer to them as "creative challenges. Take it a step at a time. There is no practical purpose to beating yourself up over this OR ALLOWING OTHERS to do so. First, do you need the window for light in the room? If so, what type of privacy covering or window treatment, do you plan on using? If you need the window for light in the room, don't cover it up. Your best plan is to follow your own intuition. Get an exact frame and mirror to match the window. If that doesn't suit you. Put a mirror glass IN the window frame to match. You may need a carpenter to do this and VOILA! You have two matching mirrors. Don't fret so much about the faucet and sink placement. Fix the window and mirror creative challenge first. Give yourself a pat on the back for tackling a bathroom reno. Good luck and when its all done, look in the mirror in the morning and smile.
    DR thanked nmp19
  • rnonwheels
    7 years ago

I love your barn door idea, can you do a mirror framed like the window, the exact same size and have the barn door track go across the window as well-whala window treatment and mirror in one! Set your left side up so the containers there are appropriate for things used in the mirror so it all looks well planned and intentional.

DR thanked rnonwheels
  • rnonwheels
    7 years ago

One other thought, if they make them large enough and other than round if possible, how about one of those mirrors that are on a big hinge that comes out from the wall, the side wall could hold 6-8 inch deep shelves for extras. A single hanging pendant on the mirror side might help bablance and intention as well.

https://jet.com/product/detail/91b067ccee204289b5875851fdc1d4c0?jcmp=pla:ggl:gen_home_garden_a1:decor_mirrors_a1_other:na:PLA_348543900_24223349820_pla-161715127500:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&gclid=CK_-5u_AhNICFUW2wAod6JoENg

[https://www.houzz.com/products/metro-pivot-mirror-brushed-nickel-prvw-vr~31342019[(https://www.houzz.com/products/metro-pivot-mirror-brushed-nickel-prvw-vr~31342019)

DR thanked rnonwheels