Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northface99

Accent color to go with burgundy chair in rustic cabin - blue?

northface99
7 years ago

Hi Folks,

I have a burgundy Morris chair (not exactly from the right century, but I aim to please!) to be placed in an office-living room.

The question is, is it possible to introduce a mid-blue or darker blue into the equation of wood floors, log walls with some plaster walls painted Benjamin Moore Linen White (a creamy, yellowy white), with a dark red rug, and off white couch & drapes? Most burgundy color coordination seems to be with mustard yellow or dark green...haven't seen much blue and burgundy.

To keep things from looking lopsided with a whitish couch and a whitish love seat and one monster burgundy chair, should the love seat slip be slip covered in a dark color instead of off-white like the couch? The unused door is brown, so the chair should sort of blend into the door if placed in front of it.

Here is the layout and a picture of the door. The pic of the chair is representative (not mine).

Thanks much for your comments!

Comments (26)

• northface99
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow...never seen this. Of course...red, white, and blue!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Beth, that is cool. Pretty soon talent will be obsolete.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago
    northface99 thanked Beth H. :
  • northface99
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Beth,

Do you think that Benjamin Moore could match something from the wheel? Like if you say RGB is 16 178 11, could they match that? With my computer and a really bright light I should be able to catch the exact burgundy color, fix it to the wheel, and then play around with what looks good. When I tried to bring my cell phone in with a pic on it, BM was not able to match it...they said print it out on a paper and then they could match the paper.

(Haven't quite figured out how to make the arms move independently yet!)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

just click Analgous (or any of the titles in the box on the left) then put the cursor on the hole in the arm and drag them. they move and the colors in the squares below will change. if you click on Custom, you can move them exactly where you want one at a time. try these burgs. to play w/it, move the circles back and forth in the square, below the wheel where it says 'base color'

https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/?base=3&rule=Monochromatic&selected=3&name=My%20Color%20Theme&mode=cmyk&rgbvalues=0.54,0.09180000000000003,0.09180000000000003,0.33999999999999997,0.15979999999999997,0.15979999999999997,0.54,0.2538,0.2538,0.24,0.04080000000000001,0.04080000000000001,0.84,0.14280000000000004,0.14280000000000004&swatchOrder=0,1,3,2,4

you can also click on the individual box color below the wheel and slide the bars. you can do all sorts of stuff i haven't figured out yet!

BM should be able to get close. it will never be exact. Did you go through their website?

there is also a site called MyPerfectColor. they supposedly match colors.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I played a bit with this and I think if you want a bit more eclectic look, a bright apple green might be a good contrast color with the burgundy! It seems odd, but check it out. Navy is a good choice, but kind of expected. Since this seems to be a very unique property perhaps some creativity is in order! It like the "light" a bright green would bring into the space as well. I'll see if I can find some inspiration photos for you.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Chestnut Hall · More Info
    This is a bit more sage than applie but you get the idea.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Cozy Kitchen · More Info
    More this color green, more yellow in it. This is a good photo because it is a old post and beam cabin.

northface99 thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Play around with some out of the box ideas on color because it will be dark it seems in that space?

northface99 thanked Flo Mangan
  • northface99
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo - you read my mind! I was looking at the color "Greenery" - the Pantone color of the year. That is very close to apple green. I think green is the solution, rather than blue. The green in the rustic pic that you posted looks absolutely perfect! I can imagine a green oblong cushion on the burgundy chair and green accents throughout.

In fact I just bought a little desk that is a light green faded from forest green that picks up the green theme as well. If you look at the layout, I'll have two desks against the east and west walls - I can put the little desk on the west side.

One thing people say is that "to avoid the Christmas look, there must be a predominance of either red or green - don't make them of equivalent weight". So as I like green much more than red, we'll leave the red in the rug and chair, and have all other colors be green or off-white. We stripped the ceiling (heart pine) and not all the white paint came off so am thinking of putting a very light whitewash on the ceiling so that it is brighter but not stark raving white.

Now, abutting the living room is an enclosed porch...I could even paint that whole porch apple green. So the search for the perfect green will continue. I showed my husband the Pantone Greenery and he thought it was too yellow, so maybe a more saturated green in the same tone would work on the porch.

Here are a couple more pics of burgundy and light green:

• PRO
    Staged for Perfection
    7 years ago
    I also like the idea of a greyish blue
  • PRO
    Staged for Perfection
    7 years ago
    SW Languid Blue
  • leelee
    7 years ago

Cute place and amazing floors. Just wondering if you get critters crawling in under the front door?

• northface99
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ha ha, Leelee. Critters coming in from all sides, mostly stink bugs. Have a light in a bucket with a glass bowl of soapy water on top that does the trick w/the bugs - they fly right to it.

Lots of work to be done on the foundation, doors, windows, etc. You should see the rugs levitate in heavy winds!

• northface99
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Staged to Perfection - you are right, that dusty blue color goes well. However I have bad memories of that color, so it is out. For a blue was thinking of more of a brighter blue such as:

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Love that blue. I laughed at your levitating rug comment. When we bought a1900 Victorian, that first winter we said we had a "wind chill factor" INSIDE our house! Btw, that color combo on that rug seems to fit the personality of the cabin. Do you know the cabin's history?
  • northface99
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, Flo, It takes a lot to insulate an old house. The cabin has only a partial basement. Part of the cabin sits directly over dirt on dry stack, so to fix the wind one would have to pull up the floor and install some sort of vapor barrier as well as point up the whole foundation. Unending work!

No, I don't know the history of the cabin. Could have been a tenant house, could have been for a v. small family as the logs are small compared with most hand hewn log cabins. The interior clearly had two rooms where there is now one in both the living room and loft. The kitchen is post and beam and was added in the 20's (when the C&O Canal was decommissioned since the chimney is of that granite). The back porch with bathroom was added sometime in the 70's. There were still outhouses in the neighborhood back then. And the old (defunct) outhouse is still there; it's a 2-seater, so there must have been a large family living in the cabin at some point.

One of these days I'll go to the courthouse & trace back the deed. Then the story will end in some sort of convoluted land purchase with many relatives, and I'll have to go to the historical library and look up wills. So that will be fun when I have the time.

• eve_62025
    7 years ago

I saw this post yesterday and was going to suggest that same peacock blue and coral/melon color in the rug you sampled. I think those colors along with your burgunday will look rich, artistic, classic but definitely NOT boring!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

What a great story and it is so exciting that you are capturing the essense of this place. So valuable. Boy, I wonder if you could get a local college student to make a project out of doing this research? Some of the local schools might really get into it. Would save you a ton of time and get you a ton of information from which to be inspired. Thanks for sharing.

• northface99
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Eve - I'm going to play around with the blue as well as the green. So far I've shown my husband tons of greens and he likes the one in the Cozy Kitchen .

Flo - I don't mind doing the research myself; have already done it for another house so I know how to use the microfiche machines, etc. Plus our historical library is an absolutely wonderful place.

• PRO
    CrookedWood, LLC
    7 years ago

I think denim blue would work well with the burgundy and keep the rustic feel.

northface99 thanked CrookedWood, LLC
  • northface99
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, CrookedWood. I've alighted by default on a blue-green; now the only choice is going to be what depth of color.

Here is the story: I just tested some green paint (BM Aurora Borealis) and put it on the interior of an enclosed back porch and it clashes badly with the barn in back of the cabin, a custom blue-green. So, given that I want a unified feel since the cabin is so small, and given that it is going to bother my eye to see the barn past an off-color green, the color of the barn is going to dictate the accent color. So now I'll be testing out various blue-greens to see if there is one that goes w/the burgundy chair and the barn!

Who would have thunk that the color outside the cabin would dictate interior colors!

The top color here is Aurora Borealis which clashes with the barn, which is something like Green Gables. Juno Spring is a lighter version of Green Gables. I guess BM is right...the barn color was taken from another property that had a green barn that faded to a beautiful lighter blue. The next color lighter (Soft Mint) is too pale, I think.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

see if any of these greens work

• northface99
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Beth. There are a couple of colors that you posted that could work; they are a little more muted than the BM colors I found. Now I think the only way to make a final selection is to try some more test colors.

• northface99
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK, I looked at a lot of blue and greens, and finally settled on Falls & Barrow "Indian Yellow"...for the walls. So the green porch is out - the porch will either be Indian Yellow or off white. So now I have to wait until the cabin is painted before I choose the third color - either the no color of the linen curtains, or a bright turquoise to liven up the dark living room.

The reason the Indian Yellow worked out for the chinking is that someone before my time messed up the hand hewn logs with shellac which turned orange-yellow. They also messed up the chinking with concrete. I wanted to get rid of the grey concrete, and tone down the shellacked logs, and this Indian Yellow turns out to do both. Looks just plain medium brown here, but in actual paint it's either a bright, luminous light brownish-orange in bright light or a deeper orange-brown in the dark living room. With off white trim and the dark burgundy chair should look v. cool.

Has anyone out there used Falls & Barrow Indian Yellow?

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz