Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucie_tuan

Work needed to convert walk-in shower into tub/shower combination

L T
7 years ago

The new house has a large walk-in shower, my estimate is around 5' x 5.5'. We want to convert it into a tub/shower combination and change out its current tiles. The whole area feels too dark to us. The glass door is also attached to a protruding wall instead of the side wall directly, making it feel even more enclosed. We want to remove the protrusion and change it to be a glass partition instead of a swing door. We'd like to keep the total cost to under 10k, reuse all the existing fixtures, using GC to complete the work, but we can order our own materials and do our own interior design. Is it possible? We are in Seattle.

Reference formation:

Marina House · More Info

Current thinking:

1. Removal of existing tiles / fixtures / floor / glass doors / partition wall

2. Removal of the window blocks to be replaced with regular frosted window with white trim.

3. I like how the Houzz picture's side walls are single slabs of some material, not tiles. Does anyone know what that is?

4. I won't use such small tiles, probably 12 x 12 tiles to keep the lines simple.

5. I'd want to keep the tub faucet where the shower strip next to the window is. Then move the overhead shower and side shower strip closer to the glass door. This way can do a stationary glass partition wall, keeping it looking open but still block the splatter.

Another thought on saving some cost is that I can keep the gray tiling on window side and use it like an accent wall in contrast to the other white side walls, flooring, and ceiling.

Thank you so very much for your advice!!

Comments (22)

• Anne Duke
    7 years ago
    Do I understand you want to demo and replace this shower with a bath tub combo with new tile and door? That will run substantially more than your current budget.
  • PRO
    Meyer Design
    7 years ago

Even with using your existing fixtures, you'll need new supply lines, drain and a new bathtub for the wet room. For the poured pan shower base you will still need to select a mosaic tile. You could save tile and labor cost by using an alcove tub that will not need a separate tub deck built in the wet room. This is a very cost effective tub: Kohler: Villager Alcove Tub. You're next step would be to consult with a contractor so you can truly gauge your cost on this project. Good luck!

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Double to triple your budget. Unless you are OK with cheap plastic. What you have is much more appealing and attractive than what you want.

• L T
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This is very helpful, thank you. The shower looks good in that listing picture, reality was a not unfortunately. It also has some very questionable iPhone dock / wiring to speakers installed that I'm not sure is a great idea to leave in. I also like the thought of using an alcove tub, it definitely can look quite handsome. I will definitely go in with the GC when the escrow is closed. Meanwhile we are doing financial and loan planning, so the adjusted budget ballpark is definitely very helpful.
  • L T
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What about this for cost / labor reduction? Instead of tiles, I use whole white quartz slabs for side walls and back walls. Ceiling can be paint or some other material. Use standalone alcove tub as the tub to avoid building a tub deck, then use teak to create a tub skirt. For shower, no tiling, just smooth concrete as the drain area, using a removable teak deck as shower stall flooring. This way I prioritize the budget for plumbing and materials, saving labor on tiling. Hopefully I can save some $$ to spend on opening up the enclosing walls for a bigger, flatter glass panel held in place by C shape brackets for increased roominess. Storage spaces are now moved to the left side of the wall for visual balance.

I would assume building a teak tub skirt and floor panel is much cheaper than tiling from labor and material perspective. It also gives me the Japanese bathroom look that I love without it looking too Oriental. Thoughts?

• shirlpp
    7 years ago

Your current bathroom looks very nice, but I agree - dark. What about removing the ceiling tiles and forgetting about the bathtub, especially if there is a tub in another bathroom.

• leemiller
    7 years ago
    Try and find a designer or design build, they will save you some money by getting you a discount on materials - unless you're going low end on materials. Slabs of white Quartz are expensive, so is the labor involved in using a slab for a shower wall. My understanding is that it would likely require reinforcement. Your best bet is getting some quotes in your market. In my market there was a range, but labor was way over 10k per a bathroom for two small bathrooms.
  • User
    7 years ago

Quartz slabs??? You upped the budget 10K, not decreased it.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

10K will barely cover the labor for all you want. forget the materials.

Teak is $37 a board foot. I just bought a piece of teak that was 5 feet long ,6" deep, 1 inch thick. cost me close to $200. For what you want, expect to pay about 1500-2000, just for the material.

you've priced quartz slabs, right? now you have to have them fabricated. expect to pay 5-10K, depending on how many slabs you have to buy.

for someone who is trying to cut the budget, you're going the wrong way.

• L T
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you all for feedback about quartz. I didn't know walls will need reinforcement. A friend recommended that to me because he always uses them for his rental property renovations to save labor costs. Maybe he had a different arrangement with his contractors. Back to porcelain tiles then. I think my teak planks will not cost that much since I don't need 6" wide, but that's a good call out. If teak is too expensive, ipe is another wood to consider, saw some beautiful room examples on Houzz with ipe.

We do need a tub because we take baths usually once a week. The guest bath is just too shallow and the room too tiny to do anything with it. I'll continue to look for alternatives. Thank you all for your help!
  • GreenDesigns
    7 years ago

Have a 60K budget as a start. And hire a local bath designer.

• leemiller
    7 years ago

I think we are talking about two different kinds of "quartz" here. I would check with your friend who I believe is referring to those premade shower panels/ showers. I was thinking you wanted quartz like they install on kitchen counters.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

Lucie, the teak is measured by board foot. $37 a board foot, not linear foot. doesn't matter how wide it is. my point is, it's expensive. and ipe isn't too far behind. just expect to spend a few hundred.

• L T
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So I went to visit the neighbor, same layout as mine because it is the same builder. They showed me their bath, which was the original design that my house had. I almost died. It is exactly what I want and more - openable full window, bath tub / shower combination. Just to rub it in, the original design has a double sided transparent fireplace built in the wall between shower and the adjoining master bedroom. One can lay in the tub and look left to see dancing flames, look right to enjoy city night view.

It looks incredibly luxurious. What I have now is definitely a downgrade.

So the good news is, the plumbing I need must be still under the tiles somewhere. No concern about structure either. Just material and labor. The bad news is now I've got this transparent fireplace in my mind's eye, which adds scope to the work....
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

sounds wonderful. and expensive. You've increased your budget, right? have you even priced any of your materials? That teak skirt and floor would be great. what are you going to put under it? the water has to go somewhere. the teak has to sit on top of something. what waterproof material will that be? how will it dry? you can't just have pools of water sitting underneath. it will all have to be sloped to a drain and be lined w/something.

a quality tile setter (and you want a pro tile setter, not a GC who tiles 'on the side') who waterproofs and does all the labor, should be in the 4-6K neighborhood. (that doesn't include tile cost) and doesn't include demo of what''s there now. your plumbing will be 1-2 more. Have you even looked to see how much those tubs cost? You will be doing a window. have you priced that piece? w/install? 1500-3K. Shower doors, another 1K, if not more. And the fireplace, I have no idea what those cost. Do you see how this adds up quickly? Don't mean to be a buzzkill here, but 10K is no where near enough for what you want.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    7 years ago

You are doing the reverse of what everyone wants. I don't even buy into every house needs a tub BS. Unless you have a large bathroom with room for both I see zero need for a tub. In todays busy day and age who has time to take a bath? Plus the idea of soaking in dirty water with zero way to rinse it off is just not my thing. I understand the possible relaxing in a tub but again it just isn't practical. Remember when tubs were widely used it was because that was the way of thinking to get washed. Hygiene today is a lot more advanced then it was say 100 years ago.

We had two kids that used a small inflatable tub that by 3 they were showering and no they don't need any sort of therapy to deal with it.

That said doing the room 1/2 over will net a room that looks 1/2 done. Save your money and wait to redo the room. Teak is one of he most expensive woods you can buy and has maintenance.

• User
    7 years ago

Trade houses with your neighbor. He probably wants the update that you have. It will be far cheaper than tackling this white elephant that will add zero value to your home. It's a vanity project. Meaning you're doing it just to spend money to make it how you want it. Which in the end, is really why anyone does anything. They just don't normally throw 75K into a hole in the ground with no gain at all to show for it.

• L T
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    My neighbor came to see the place and agrees that the remodeled bathroom is a downgrade, actually. Their equipment and workmanship quality is much higher end. 10k is a pipe dream budget, I now fully realize. My contractor gave me a ballpark of options. If we pull the trigger, compromises have to be made, but that's life. *shrug*. In any case, the house's fundamental value is not in these cosmetics. We dislike the bathroom but still bought it for its location. Our gain when we sell it will also be from the location and not the bathroom.:) Thank you all for your opinions and advices.:)
  • Laura Mac
    5 years ago

L T, what did you end up doing in your bathroom? I'm realizing this thread is old, but if you are still on Houzz, would love to hear if you pulled the trigger and did the remodel.....

• PRO
    Site See LLC
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

How much space is needed for that side by side bath/shower combo, dimensions??

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago

Site See,,,this is 6 yrs ago. pretty sure it's done.