Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micael04

Mitchell ginn southern gothic plan

micael04
7 years ago
We are thinking about the southern gothic plan. Has anybody built this plan? I would love to see photos! Considering doing away with formal dining room and just having an eat in kitchen, finishing the extra room upstairs and adding another bathroom upstairs. Thinking about moving laundry to where formal dining is and making current laundry area walk in pantry. The current pantry would then become a closet. We wanted three bedrooms and three bathrooms upstairs with a playroom. We won't be finishing the bonus room above garage at this time. Any ideas? http://houseplans.southernliving.com/plans/SL1921

Comments (88)

• Michael Palmer
    5 years ago

More interior shots.

• Michael Palmer
    5 years ago

Master Shower, Master Closet / Linen, Master entry vestibule off family room

• Loren Truschel
    5 years ago
    Gorgeous!! Thank you so much for sharing. You have saved us from going back and forth on some of the details!!
  • jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    Nice idea if you’re in the country or in a community of similar houses.
  • jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    The dark fan is VERY intrusive. A lighter one would suit the room.
  • C W
    4 years ago
    Wow Michael!!! I love what you’ve done with this house! Thanks so much for sharing.
  • amykstuart
    4 years ago

Michael, I love what you've done and how you modified the plan. Can I be rude and ask how much did it cost to build (not including the lot)? Thanks!

• Michael Palmer
    4 years ago
    I am a builder so I am obviously not making anything on this job. I have not tallied things up yet but I think it would be safe to say our build cost is right around $800,000+
    A few things have driven the cost up considerably.
    Standing seam metal roof
    2 full masonry fireplaces
    16,000 linear feet of t&g nickel gap planking on walls and ceiling. About 6000 feet of which was harvested from the property when putting the driveway into the site.
    Front and rear porch are all done in thickset blustone over concrete on metal pan
    Pella Reserve Series Windows
    High end cabinets and countertops
  • Michael Palmer
    4 years ago

Progress photos

• A Lovejoy
    4 years ago

Hey everyone! We have finally moved in to our Southern Gothic so I thought I would share some pictures (although Michael's might put mine to shame haha!). Some info:

1. We have 10 foot ceilings and 8' doors throughout the first floor. second floor is 9' and 7' doors.

2. We added a third garage bay and made the entire garage 5' deeper. If you are considering building this house and also drive a truck or large SUV...DO THIS. my husbands truck (Ram 1500) would not have fit in the garage had we not made it bigger.

3. We changed the pitch of the garage roof. We are using the space as attic/storage and it is not finished.

4. We are on a full walkout basement. We added a lawnmower garage in the basement and framed the basement, but will finish the basement in a fe years.

5. Ignore the lack of front steps (they're being installed this week haha!)

6. We changed the master bathroom layout. If you notice the crazy high shower head...my husband is 6'10".

7. We slightly changed the upstairs layout to make bedroom 2 and 3 a little bigger. The most noticeable change is that we moved the closet for bedroom 2 into the hallway, where the bonus room door was. Now the bonus room above the master is accessed through bedroom 3 (we are using this as unfinished storage).

8. WE changed the stairs. They are now straight without any turns, and we moved the basement access door into the living room.

9. We took out the vault between the entry and living room.

I'm happy to share any building costs or answer any questions. We self contracted so saved in that department.

• A Lovejoy
    4 years ago

more pics....

• A Lovejoy
    4 years ago

• A Lovejoy
    4 years ago

• C W
    4 years ago

WOW April! Gorgeous gorgeous home.

• HU-706751110
    4 years ago

A Lovejoy,

The pictures are great, I love this house plan and do like to build it on our land in the next two year. We would like to self contract also hoping to save money. we live in the Raleigh NC area, would you mind sending me an email with a around about cost to build? I know some things will be different because we are not going to have a basement. My email is hphillips24@yahoo.com.

Thanks

• Loren Truschel
    4 years ago

@michael Palmer Is it possible to see a snapshot of your floor plans with the dimensions?

• PRO
    EC
    4 years ago

Has anyone modified this to a smaller version? Or see a plan that’s less sqft?

• C W
    4 years ago

Emily, check out the Four Gables plan! Also by Mitch Ginn. It’s similar but less square footage.

• Lindsay Tweed
    4 years ago

Our family is thinking about building using this plan. Any other pictures from someone who built this house would be great help!!!

• Lidia
    4 years ago

What is the definition of southern gothic?

• A Lovejoy
    4 years ago

Lindsay tweed- I’m happy to send you pictures, is there anything specific you want to see?

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

I think it turned out great! Do like the Gothic nature of the three front gables. Also like that it doesn't have a lot of Gothic or Victorian inspired trim. Historic southern homes often are pared down and rely more on massing to achieve a pleasant form.

• Lindsay Tweed
    4 years ago

@A Lovejoy I absolutely love the interior of your home! Could you possibly send me some more pictures of the upstairs? We have 3 children and are trying to figure out which bedroom choices are best. Also, did you keep your dining room? We are thinking about closing the pantry off to make it bigger and converting the dining room into an office area. How big is your eating area off your kitchen? I am most excited about the closet! Did you keep it the same size as the original plan? You can e-mail me @ lindsaytweed@hotmail.com. Thank you for your time!!!!

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Gorgeous home! Thanks for sharing.

• Catherine Gallagher
    3 years ago

@michael_palmer90

Michael Palmer—is there a way I can reach out to you directly on facebook, instagram or email? My husband and I want to build this houseplan and love all the changes that you have made. Thanks for any help you can give us.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

I prefer to walk through the closet to the bathroom rather than walk through the bathroom to get to the closet. With any bathroom immediately next to a closet, there is always the possibility of moisture getting into the closet unless you have a very good exhaust system to pull the moisture up through the roof or out a side wall.

• Michael Palmer
    3 years ago

Catherine, my email is Michael@mjpalmerconstruction.com

• Michael Palmer
    3 years ago

Looks a tad different with landscape

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Wow. The landscaping just adds to the beauty of this house. Love the walkway and matching brick foundation.

• Shiloh S
    3 years ago

This is helpful thread! Thank you to everyone for sharing pictures. @A Lovejoy - would you mind sharing your build cost? Thank you!

• Shiloh S
    3 years ago

@Michael Palmer as a builder, what do you believe someone could build this for with only a few upgrades? We’d like to get into the house and update as we live there.

• A Lovejoy
    3 years ago

@Shiloh S it was around 475k (maybe a little less). That does not include the price of the land and the basement is framed but not finished. Lumber was VERY high when we got to framing. our lumber bill ended up being 20% higher than expected.

• docwater
    3 years ago

@A Lovejoy Do you mind to share where you built? Like state? I think I’ve seen your build on their Instagram before. Very interested in this home plan.

• A Lovejoy
    3 years ago

@docwater we are in Kentucky and we have been on their insta!

• MarylandHomebody
    3 years ago

WOW, to live in Kentucky. 475k will get you a "decent" 2 bed 2.5 bathroom with middle-road finishes where I live. I honestly assumed this house cost over a million dollars.

• docwater
    3 years ago

@A Lovejoy that’s awesome! We are also in KY and I‘ve been hoping to find someone around here who’d built this plan to see what their experience was and what costs came out to. Hope you’re enjoying it and thanks for sharing photos :)

• A Lovejoy
    3 years ago

@docwater fair warning lumber prices are even higher now than they were when we built. Hope you end up building this plan....its awesome!

• A Lovejoy
    3 years ago

@MarylandHomebody kentucky is great! Come on over and build!

• Sam Whiteside
    3 years ago

A Lovejoy, we are also on the verge of starting construction on this plan here in Arkansas. Could you share your photos with us? We’re currently trying to figure out if we want to make modifications to the mudroom and upstairs.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

I wouldn’t put children upstairs unless they are at least mid-teens and have two ways to exit in case of emergency.

• Michael Palmer
    3 years ago

Screened the porch in finally!!

• A Lovejoy
    3 years ago

@Sam Whiteside whats your email address? I’m happy to email you some interior photos. We made some minor changes up stairs.

• Sam Whiteside
    3 years ago

samcwhiteside@yahoo.com thank you very much!

• waterman07
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@A Lovejoy my wife and I are using this same floor plan with some slight modifications. Could you share how you did you master bath layout with the walk in closet? my e mail is waterman8004@yahoo.com

• Mullumm Hzze
    2 years ago

has anyone done this plan with gothic arch windows?

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I love the screened in porch! Good timing.

• C Henderson
    2 years ago

houzz://user/amy_e_lovejoy Would love to ask you a few questions about your build! My email is lesliebhenderson@gmail.com

• A H
    2 years ago

Are those custom screen doors?
    Looks wonderful!

• Emily Murphy
    2 years ago

@A Lovejoy Thank you so much for sharing. We are building this home in TN. Do you have an instagram account by chance? I would love to see more photos. or a shot of your redesigned floor plan. embmurphy@gmail.com

• Melanie Koehler
    last year

Hello! Has anyone built this house plan and changed the front master closet into a living room/library/sitting area? I don't like a closet at the front of the house with a window looking out onto the front porch. It seems like it would be better layout to have a dining room and a living room at the front of the house. I'm wondering if the master could be shifted forward to where the master bath is and then the bath put at the back of the bedroom and then a walk in closet placed at the backend of the master. Any suggestions?