Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penguin98765

60s beige "fawn" bathroom-- help!

penguin98765
7 years ago
Without replacing or covering the beige ceramics, how can I improve this space?

Comments (66)

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    and a better photo of the sink area....hoping to replace the counter sooner than later...
  • User
    7 years ago
    My bathroom has the same materials, just in white (thank god). Same tub, cabinets, everything. Our tub was in rough shape when we bought the house so we had it refinished. It didn't turn out great to be honest. And the finish is easily damaged. I wouldn't recommend it. I wish I had done bath fitter instead. I was surprised to find out that the tub is actually cast iron. Yours probably is too
  • User
    7 years ago
    I agree that a new shower curtain and bath mat would get you far. A new light fixture and mirror would go a long way for not a lot of money also. But I think the biggest improvement would be a new sink. It dates the room more than anything else IMO.
  • penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the optimism! I'm hoping a few changes will save us from gutting it. We're planning to get a new counter and sink soonishhh, something inexpensive but durable. Taking suggestions if people have experience! The vanity is built in, so we have to work with that.

• User
    7 years ago
    The previous owners left the original countertops but put in a new sink. This gives you an idea. I don't think your countertops are bad from what I can tell. I'm going to replace my countertops with a high quality gray laminate in a couple of months. I'm going with another laminate so that I disturb the bathroom as little as possible. Everything else can stay exactly as it is haha. I will post an update when I do.
  • User
    7 years ago
    You can get a sink like this for under 50
  • penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

That photo is really helpful, thanks! I'd also replace with laminate or another cultured surface-- low maintenance! I like some of the countertop/sink combinations that are seamless and undermount, but maybe just putting in a new sink will do! (Wish our tile was white!)

• everdebz
    7 years ago

I was following what seemed a peachy-tan color for the flowers and lady's face, etc...with bits of brights that on their own are good with tan: red, warm pink....

Not being there hard to tell, but Amazon curtain too 'muddied' a gold/green, and turn drab. I looked again at the close-up -- is there any color like your tile is the question. And do the rosy flowers do enough for the room. Is that the color of your storage fabric - that I liked.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

I have always worn peach, and liked it, so your mat's good. With all considered: different wall tile, floor tile, counter... I'd probably stick with a close color blend. Hand towel with pattern for fun...

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago

"Is that the color of your storage fabric - that I liked." -- sorry, what are you referring to?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Your built-in photo had something in rhubarb deep rose/ red... that's a color that could excite the curtain / lady's lips or flowers ... do you think?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

I'm not a pro - but wishing you could add lighting at the sides: 2 hanging pendants maybe 2.... but with a little detailing, LED above / to sides also? idea.

2-inch InvisiLED Pro 24V Tape Light, Damp Location · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

3.5 feet material is $17.

Bright Kelvin LED Tape Light Kit, Warm White, 3.5', 3000 Kelvin · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Electrician, etc.. what about bringing lighting directly above mirror? sale for 48.

Nuvo Lighting 60-4014 Teller 4 Light Wall Sconce in Aged Pewter · More Info

• Kerry Blossom
    7 years ago
    here is the fawn tile with some fun wallpaper and white towels.
  • penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ahhh-- that was a deep red towel that I pushed aside for the photo -- I think you're right, I should keep with something warm that pops! I do love that succulent curtain, and the mandala too! And pendant lights are also on my list of ideas-- husband can install them, so they won't cost *that* much. It seems lots of pendant light are pretty big-- 6" or more in diameter, do you think I should stick to small ones (3-4" ish)? Great suggestions, thanks! I have such a hard time making decisions about the house...

• everdebz
    7 years ago

I'm 'into brainstorming' hope ok... you could have maybe 5 such bulbs across entire vanity, in proper length.... not rustic but to show design of:

Sun Valley Sconce · More Info

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I LOVE that fawn butterfly bathroom, thanks Kerry! I'll have to think more about wallpaper....maybe we'll do just a curtain and lighting for now, and then take the next step if we decide we can live with the beige tiles until we sell in 5-10 years.

And I'll look more into LED lighting....I hate cold lights, but things have probably become much more natural in recent years...

• everdebz
    7 years ago

.. mirror or no new mirror - the bulbs could glare?

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like brainstorming! My only concern is that as I get ready over the sink, the lights will be in my way of they are not off to the sides? Or should they be pretty short, ending before the top of the *current* mirror?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Yes, above current mirror...

I also loved Kerry's -- yours w/o trim of darker color, would be better..

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've looked at these of examples of placement, but maybe the ceilings are much higher...

• everdebz
    7 years ago

No rod needed in your design. Satin chrome, or copper maybe piping, and wrap bulbs around - I'd like to try it myself. :)

Dixon Pendant Chandelier · More Info

• jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    New wall colour or wallpaper are needed to contrast with all the sameness. A version of green or teal could work, but paper would be more interesting.
  • Kerry Blossom
    7 years ago
    I saw your tile and counter top and sink and thought,oh that looks like my bathroom! haha ! I plan on updating my trim so it looks more like yours!! I love my wallpaper and thought that you might want to see what yours would look like without the investment. I think mine is original to my house (the wallpaper was there when we bought it)
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Your house, what are your heights?

I liked your photos. It can be nice - on dimmer? and have super-bright option.

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I didn't know it was your house Kerry, extra neat! Thought you just found a photo on a blog that I hadn't come across! Thanks for sharing!

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Bathroom ceiling is 7.5' high, but that structural bump down is 8" -- mirror to ceiling is 10"

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The shower fan also has a light, so I think just pendant lights would be enough...but I could be wrong! (6' from floor to top of mirror)

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Light good I hear from side of the face -- above 2 'invisible' recessed cans -- your decorative pendants at the side... where you wouldn't bump I think? 4 total.

I like your photo - the design of 2nd photo, but metal look of the 1st.

• Bette P
    7 years ago
    Oliver Gal "Bleu Agate" Shower Curtain, 71"x74" · More Info

I've been looking at this too long, now I see a face. I thought it had your fawn and a slight gray of your floor.
  • Bette P
    7 years ago
    Iveta Abolina Creme De La Creme Shower Curtain · More Info
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Bette - gee thanks that now I see a face too!

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    and not a pretty face!
  • penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    thoughts? the colors go really well with the 60s brown/beige....but that might not be a good thing... (easy to return this one)
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

The Amazon one? only a bit drab so add a floor mat that rosy/ soft burgundy... you're the photographer! I noticed the colors in the leaf you placed.. lol...

looking again... has the border tile's color... you like it?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

In small rectangular space above toilet, and border tile - same colors sort of ... an animal for your garden! smaller than? -- or a metal piece?

Jason Shaffer 'Box Turtle' Canvas Art, 19x12 · More Info

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was able to get it online at Target, even cheaper and with easy returns! I love botanical stuff, so I'm having a hard time seperating that from the whole space together. The colors definitely dont clash with the tile in person-- just a matter of whether its too granny/avacado.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Or a word decal -- I just picked a simple looking one:

Dream it Vinyl Wall Decal businessquotes13, Navy Blue, 6 in. · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

From here doesn't seem 'granny' with large ferns, etc... tiny little flowers of might. Keep a theme that's 'tight' and it'll probably be great!!

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm strangly adverse to word art, but good suggestion!
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Would you call it more 'garden' or 'jungle'.... whichever, and if you won't be painting the walls... something in that odd little space then?

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm going to think about some wall decor, and more plants! if that fails, getting that succulent curtain!
  • penguin98765
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    the curtain? I'd say forest plants, not garden.
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

I wouldn't as you're thinking probably, repeat the curtain exactly... but a related something.... that you like.

• jmdrouin
    7 years ago

Find retro original towel rods and hand towel rods and nix the modern towel holders. New shower curtain and bath rug are great. Get rid of plants and plant in a glass thing. Check out retro renovation for more ideas in keeping with the age of the house.

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update: opted to gut, except for vanity base

• penguin98765
    Original Author
    5 years ago

replaced with Kohler bellwether tub

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

You chose well! Gorgeous new bathroom. I hope you're pleased. (Love seeing these older threads revived with actual updates from the OP. :))