Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wonderbeansmom

New dark wood kitchen table care

Lisa M
7 years ago
We just received a new table that we are using in our kitchen. We went from a 90's light oak table to a rich brown table. The table is already showing scratches, oil stains, and I even got a drop of nail polish remover on it even though I was using a huge placemat. We bought an extended warranty that covers the nail polish remover stain. I sent them the photo, they let me knew they received it, and I'm waiting to hear back.

But this table is driving me nuts. They warranty company told me to use a mild dish soap to clean it. But that's not getting all the stains up as you will see in the pictures.

I can't decide what I should do. The table is so gorgeous I'd hate to use a table cloth. I guess I could continue to use placemats. But that hasn't protected everything. I though about a glass table top. Someone suggested shellac.

I've attached 2 pictures. The first one is from the morning after we received the table. It shows the nail polish remover stain on the bottom left and a mystery oil stain in the middle. The second photo is from today (2 weeks later) and shows where my daughter sits and I think the stains are from the oils on her skin. I say that because I read in the warranty that bodily fluids from regular use are not covered, i.e. stains from your arms resting against the table. I've included a third photo of a random scratch we have.

I'm looking for advice on what you would do to protect this type of table. We are a family of 5 with 3 kids aged 17, 16, and 9.

Thank you!

Comments (22)

• llkrdh
    7 years ago

Last week I noticed red permanent marker on my dining table. Mineral spirits removed it. Test it on your table in an inconspicuous spot. It should remove the oil spots. As for the scratch, pick up a touch-up stain pen in a dark color. Your table has a distressed finish so this will simply look like it was part of the distressing.

Lisa M thanked llkrdh
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You're gonna ruin that dining table in no time. It ain't meant for use as a kitchen table. Either get used to patina and embrace it, or buy something else. Generations used sturdy, grainy, oak to let the kids color on and do their science projects. For a reason. It hides life a lot better than something that shouldn't be used except for formal occasions.

• Bette P
    7 years ago

A lot of serving pieces, bowls, plates, mugs etc. do not have a very smooth underside that contacts a surface. Especially some of the hand crafted pottery pieces. If they are dragged across the table, you will surely have scratches.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

Wow , why on earth would you use nail polish remover at your table? I can’t see that being covered by any warranty, you were already warned about the body oils so not that either . IMO you need a piece of glass ASAP to protect this investment. The scratches can be fixed with a wood crayon

• Lisa M
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No one in the furniture store told us this was only a dining room set. In fact, it was displayed with a *bench* so that screamed casual to my husband and I.
    I used nail polish remover because I've done my nails at the kitchen table for 30+ years.

• Lisa G
    7 years ago

Lisa, just ignore Sophie. There is no such thing as a "kitchen table" vs "dining table". Certain materials and finishes are more durable than others but they're all called dining tables...tables for dining at.

You can touch up the scratch, but never have I ever heard of (or seen) body oils leeching into a table...I would get a refund and find a different table if at all possible. The oily spot should wipe up with a cloth or something I'd think...if it's a new table and the oil isn't able to be wiped up I would question the quality of the finish on the table.

And of course, no more nail polish remover on the table! ;)

Lisa M thanked Lisa G
  • Lisa M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Also, here is a copy of the warranty where it states that nail polish and nail polish remover are commonly caused stains that are covered.
  • calidesign
    7 years ago

Glass will also scratch - I wouldn't do that. Just use large placemats under everything when you use the table. The style is already rustic and distressed, so don't worry about other minor issues. A wood filler pen can fix the scratches you already have.

Lisa M thanked calidesign
  • Anne Duke
    7 years ago
    This may be a bit late, but with these (likely) Asian woods and finishes, a good paste wax immediately after delivery does preserve the appearance and increase durability.
    Lisa M thanked Anne Duke
  • Lisa M
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@calidesign What kind of placemats do you suggest? I've only had the plastic wipe off ones for easy cleaning. I'm looking on Pier1 and they have nice woven ones. But since this will be our kitchen table and we will be eating dinner on it, what's a good type for eating on regularly?

• calidesign
    7 years ago

I wouldn't use plastic or woven. Try cotton fabric placemats. They will protect the table and you can throw them in the washer when you get spills. You can find them everywhere. We just keep ours in a buffet drawer, pull them out for dining, and put them away when done.

• Sammy
    7 years ago

We've been using the same set of Pimpernel cork-backed board placemats for over 20 years with zero problems. Here's the link: http://www.pimpernelinternational.com/sale/placemats-only-40.html

• Sammy
    7 years ago

Glass is impractical because: A) you have a leaf, B) liquid spills will go right over the edge and get stuck between the glass and the table and C) its enormous size would make it very difficult to remove for cleaning.

And a word of caution about applying waxes and other finishes: Read the protection plan very carefully. It most likely states that any alterations made to the finish will void the warranty.

• northpoint2
    7 years ago

Sammy is so right about NO glass...it is impossible to keep clean underneath! You can find fabric placemats anywhere: Pottery Barn, Home Goods, Crate and Barrel, Target, etc.

• Lindsay Johnson
    7 years ago
    I would recommend using a non-wax shining solution. It helps keep dust and oils from settling into the surface, and most are safe for all wood surfaces. I use one called Orange Glo and it's been amazing. It even "fills in" small scratches and prevents them from turning into a bigger problem. And bonus: it makes the whole room smell delicious.
  • Lisa M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @Lindsey Johnson: that's what I use on my hardwood floors. I've tried a lot of other systems and orange glo blows them out of the water, IMO. And I've used the everyday wood cleaner on the table so far.
  • User
    7 years ago

Ask any true wood flooring professional and they will tell you that Orange Glop is one of the absolute worst products on the market. Any type of oil product, such as oils soaps, will damage the finish of the wood eventually, and cause you to need a complete sand down to bare wood and start over. But, if the Glop gets into the spaces between the planks where the sander can't reach, any new finish's adhesion will have issues. Instead of having a wonderful surface that can last 4-5 sandings and over 100 years, Glop turns it into a single use disposable product.

• Stacey
    7 years ago
    I would get the felt pen stain touch up marker for scratches.
    Then I would get durable cloth placemats and a charger to place on top of the placemat. The charger could be a lighter color wood, wicker or even plastic. Then you place your plate on top to eat.
  • Stacey
    7 years ago
    You could try denatured alcohol with white cloth on the nail polish remover stain.
  • Lisa M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I love my orange glo and won't be changing it for anyone.
  • Jolene
    7 years ago
    My glass has been on my table for 20 years. I don't see scratches on it. It is so great because I can clean it easily and the kids can do projects. Just don't iron in a rush when you are not thinking... A glass company will have it custom made to fit your table.