Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erick_tseng

Help! Long horizontal crack in bathroom shower stall wall

Erick Tseng
7 years ago

I recently discovered a very long horizontal crack that runs the length of my bathroom shower stall. The crack is about 1-1.5mm wide, and runs horizontally about 10 inches from the floor. Interestingly, the crack isn't in the grout, between the tiles, but actually runs through the tiles themselves. The crack also seems to extend to the drywall on the other side of the shower stall for another couple inches.

I've attached some photos that show the damage.

The house was built only 5 years ago. Should I be worried? Could this just be the result of "normal" house settling?

Can I just use some silicone caulk to seal up this crack, or do I need more drastic repairs?

Thanks so much!

Comments (14)

• geoffrey_b
    7 years ago

I would guess the cement board was joined there. At least that row of tile has to come out. The substrate has to be repaired properly. They may not have used fiberglass tape on the joint.

Erick Tseng thanked geoffrey_b
  • PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    7 years ago

Caulk won't do it. There is a structural / substrate problem. Bust out a piece and post a photo of your findings or call a professional if you are not a DIY'er

Erick Tseng thanked Creative Tile Eastern CT
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Maybe post on the building a home forum and ask there whether or not it's structural.

Erick Tseng thanked cpartist
  • Jeff Meeks
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This reminds me of a crack right down the middle of a row of tiles that I had in my downstairs bathroom. It was caused by an uneven joint between two concrete backer boards. The solution is to make your tile substrate even.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Everything CTECT said.

• Erick Tseng
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much for all the advice guys! This is super helpful!

I'm reluctant to smash out a tile, mostly because of the hassle. Need to find the same tile somewhere, etc. If I "ignore" the issue, and just caulk over the crack, what's the worst that could happen? the wall would split apart even more? A safety issue?

Thanks guys!

erick

• geoffrey_b
    7 years ago

Water could get behind the tile and possibly leak into the wall cavity - perhaps.

Looks like too nice of a house to just ignore. It's not going to get any better, and when you sell the house you will have to get it replaced.

Even though the home is 5 years old, I'd ask the builder to come over, and take a look.

Erick Tseng thanked geoffrey_b
  • lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

If I "ignore" the issue, and just caulk over the crack, what's the worst that could happen?

Second worst: Water leaks behind the caulk, destroys the studs behind the tile and the joists in the floor, and you have to rip out the whole shower stall, wall and floor and replace everything. And do mold remediation.

Worst: Water leaks in there, destroys the studs behind the tile and the joists in the floor, and you step in the shower one morning and the joists give way and you and the shower stall end up in the basement.

No fooling, this happened to a friend ... he caulked around the base of a leaky toilet because he didn't want to have to remove/replace toilet and fix the problem. About a year later he sat on the toilet and ended up in the basement because the joists had rotted. The paramedics were amused.

• risforremodel
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

lazy_gardens, thanks for sharing that story because I think a lot of people don't realize how quickly an issue like this could get serious-I know I didn't. I hope your friend wasn't seriously injured and could get his pants up before help arrived!

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

His pride and dignity was the most seriously injured.

... he didn't know the house even had a basement before that. The door had been walled over and there was no mention of it in property records. They are RARE in Phoenix.

So after he fixed the floor of the bathroom, he fixed up the basement as a media room and home gym.

• Erick Tseng
    Original Author
    7 years ago

wow, that's incredible. thanks for sharing, lazy_gardens!

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

I was laughing out loud, case of literally finding luck in an unlucky situation!

• Jack Lee
    5 years ago
    Hi Erick did you ever find out what was the cause of this issue? I have the same issue with my shower wall tile.
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!