Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawkmdn

Where does an Electra glide go from here?

hawkmdn
7 years ago
Well, I'm new to houzz n don't know much about it but have shed a tear or two reading through some 'dilemmas'. Mine is: I know what I like (warm colors) and know what I don't (anything light blue) BUT... love all naughtical and hubby loves aero. I have 4 rooms (which includes a kitchen) to start:finish HELP

Comments (427)

• hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Lol Flo
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

I like arrangement 3 as well. No point to the recliner if it isn't facing the tv, or I would vote 4!

The pumpkin colour is a good choice, looks great :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

hawhmdn - love the pumpkin throw! I do like the room like this as well. The whole space looks so much bigger and brighter and so much more welcoming! Do you guys love it?! Doesn't it give you a spring in your steps! That and the sun coming out! lol

• hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Suggestions on how big art on fp above mantel? My wolf pic was quite large.
    Came across this and boy would hubby like it. Vettes are his thing, and it's orange! Although I like boat/water pics (example only-I know they are too small)
  • hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Lindsey and Flo, I hadn't seen your comments prior. Thanks for input. Yes the room looks much more inviting, open and bright. Like it very much. Went to bed way to late looking at art. Com and have had mega coffee this a.m. Ugh. I'm off to shopping internet for best deal on shearling look lumbar pillow for recliner. Must. Have. It.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Measure the black part of your fireplace (the outer edge, not the stove) and that is about the width that would be best. Then measure from 4-5" above the mantel to about where the wall and ceiling meet (that level) and that would be the max height. Higher is better for that wall. I'm guessing that is around 40" wide and about 50" high. You don't want to go too small or too low. But you could "layer" if you want. I will post some photo examples for you to give you "vision" of the looks you could do.

• hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ok Flo. Will do. Thanks
  • hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    56" from mantel to where beam meets fp brick on edge. Fp surround is 42" w. The gold edges of fp are outta here soon and will just be black. Door has to remain brass.
    Am I crazy for contemplating corvette art I posted above?? My guy would be pretty pleased and it's in no way girlie which I always promised that I wouldn't do that to house :)
  • hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I like look of this "smaller profile" coffee table.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Like glass but flare legs are a bit of tripping problem.
  • hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Aah-I never thought of that and I'm a clutz. That's why you're the Pro
    Bought the pillow-cheapy for now to see if I like the look. I'm off to get rdy for the Wild game at 2:00. Hope all have a wonderful day
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

As a girl growing up in Detroit and then working for General Motors, how could I not love that orange Corvette. I couldn't get that picture to print into my little mock up but this just gives you a little "vision" of the layering on your mantel that could work. Don't focus on the individual pieces, but rather the composition and you can put the pieces you want in the "vignette".

mantels · More Info
    So, first something tall and I picked an open cathedral frame to give texture and a "light" piece on the dark brick. Then the "orange" (but this was the only one I could get to post in this mock up) and that would overlay the frame (i.e. layered) then on the left side a tall candlestick with 3" candle, layered in front of the picture a colorful pot of some kind to bring depth and color and last another candlestick (not matchy) but similar base with 3" candle. This is a "layered" look for your mantel that I think you add texture, interest and with the car print by Richard James, a real fun aspect. And I love the orange too! So Imagine the orange Corvette print there. The idea is to create a kind of "step down" look in the middle with 3 pieces and then "frame" it with two different size and shape candlesticks. Enjoy--go Wild!!

• hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    If I could give your example more than one like I would. Fabulous idea!! Thanks. The vette it is. I'm not going to tell him. His bday is two weeks away :)
  • hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Fp in case someone knows how to paste corvette pic on for size
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I already looked up that print and I would get the largest size which I think was 26" by 22" or something like that. So it would be shorter than the one I put in the mock-up, but that is OK, we can layer behind it for height! Awesome. You are a good woman and he will be thrilled! That is a great picture too. It has "movement" which is what the vette is all about! Right?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Here are the items I put in the mock up just for your reference.

Gothic Cathedral Style Arched Wall Mirror · More Info
    This is actually a mirror too!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Candlesticks

Cyan Design Bach Distressed Antiqued White Candle Holder · More Info

Cyan Design Large Stewart Candlestick, Distressed Antiqued White · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

That mirror is the perfect size I believe and the insert is antiqued cranberry, like the detail in that pillow! lol

• hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Pic comes many sizes-this pic is 50"
  • hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I've got 20 minutes to get rdy for hockey game and I've been perusing items like your mock up instead-lol. I better get busy
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

50 would be too high I believe. If you want that the main high piece look for around 42" high x 30-24 wide, something like that.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

If you want it "layered" into the vignette, then go for around 32" high by say 24" wide. Something like that.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I think it would look more "important" layered into the vignette. So I would do a nice size but not too big. But then again, if you want that to be the "star" of the show, go big, but not too big!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Both teams look weak. Hope Staal ? Is ok. Neck and head never good.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

that was a heartbreaker for y-all I'm sure. sounds like Staal is OK but probably going to have quite a head ache! Here are some pillows I found while watching the game.

Grable Modern Milk White Curl Long Wool Lumbar Pillow, 11x22 · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Moe's Home Lamb Fur Rectangular Pillow, Set of 2, Natural · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Mongolian Lamb Fur Design Down Filled Throw Pillow, 20" Square, Ivory · More Info

• claire_larece
    6 years ago

Very nice Michelle it's coming along great...not bad for doing this on your own

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Tatami Dining Room - Steamboat Storm Meadow Drive Mountain/Asian Fusion · More Info
    Here is an idea for your dining area. People would be down low so falling off platform wouldn't be a problem.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Hoboken Waterfront Condo · More Info
    Here is narrow dining space like yours and a set of bar stools to the right. this is a really nice look. You could even just use one bench or two-four chairs and put the table over to the edge more and be able to seat 4 and when you needed more just slide the table over and add another bench? Just thinking of options. Brainstorming with you.

• hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Lol Flo you are cracking me up. " people are low when dining etc".. as noted above. You sound like you put up with more of the hockey game than I (I did watch all but I also didn't forecast a win so it's fine). For sure love all your ideas and am going in on vette pic just need to tune in on dimension and frame/no frame etc. and...
  • hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    .... just like every Christmas with my kids, if I buy something early " i" get too excited and tempt them to open a gift and they do. Yup, told my guy. I was too excited about it and had to share. He loves it. So instead of me doing this on my iPhone (only thing I've ever used on Houzz) I will get the laptop out tomor n see if I can't paste art on wall etc
  • hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    And Flo... proud you are/were a g'mer -good cars, good peeps! My guy will do nothin but :)
  • hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Flo, for some reason I checked out benches last "a.m". I think that's an intriguing idea. I will focus on finishing fp pics, lighting, accent tables and hope that will roll into dining area to make easy (cheap...) decisions.
    Think new sconces may be in order after vette art added. :)
  • hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I wanted to say thank you for the help along the way. I have gotten nowhere in last few weeks as the weather and birds are calling me to start the usual never ending work outdoors-which is also a good thing. Eventually I hope I can get more advice/ideas down the road after prepping the garden areas :)
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Same here. And you've made so much progress in your home, it will be fresh and new for summer :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Been wondering what you were doing. Be safe out there! Enjoy Spring. We have had a great Spring and in about two weeks we will be 95 days and 70s night. So summer is right upon us!!
  • mk15191
    6 years ago

For custom framed work, you could also go to Stock Photo and buy a photo then have it matted and framed to your liking. It's a bit more unique and you could get something to exactly fit your space. Walgreens will print out poster for you. FedEx prints posters and Staples does as well.

Red Corvette

Red Corvette Dash

• hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the info MK. I was not aware Walgreens did that and appreciate your other tips
  • hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Although I'm taking a break from indoors so that I can tackle outdoors, I decided I'm going to do cork sheets on kitchen wall and seal it. It'll be temporary (I think) but visually it will help me see beyond the hideous mint green original to house and it's CHEAP! It will cost about 48 dollars :). The fp room is Sheetrock and rest of house is plaster so want to wait for decision on something permanent.
  • hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This hideous wall. Hope all have a wonderful weekend. Hubby bday today so celebration ahead and we have fantastic sunshine in Minnesota today (and haven't seen mosquitoes yet!!)
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Why? Removing cork won't be easy. Don't do that.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Happy Birthday to hubby! Enjoy!
  • hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    But Flo... isn't cork used consistently as a barrier during build (albeit for sound) but I'm thinking it less invasive on plaster and it's Temp. I will go over it sooner than later..
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I have never seen cork used during building for sound or anything. It has become a bit more popular for flooring in some situations. Just paint the wall. that is easy and cheaper than cork! How did Hubby like his Birthday gift!? You did get the picture didn't you! gunnn gunnn!! (that's an engine revving!) lol

• mk15191
    6 years ago

Could also do temporary wallpaper... (It peels off the wall.) Here are some neutral versions.

Champagne Edie.html

Taupe Stripe

• hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hmm. Okay-I won't do cork. Hubby had renters prior and they put a MIRROR above stove with mega glue. I could start a separate dilemma on what we found at house after the two men moved out-lolol
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I can just imagine!

• hawkmdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Apologies to any who have offered their expertise... i have been sidetracked with spring planting... and observing Miss Flo do magic with design options for 'cani' dilemna. It's a MUST to follow. I'm at a standstill until Cani receives. The rug sample-lol. Worse than Knots Landing
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

We are having a good time on that thread. Good to see you are "back" kind of anyway. What is on tap for us at your house? What did you plant? Any adventures to share with us! You are so kind to be "watching" and I know we are getting close! Stay tuned folks! lol

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists