Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gillis95

Help! plumbing today: shower head ?: slide bar/ fixed head/ both?

gillis95
7 years ago

We're doing a remodel of the bathroom and we have an 3 wall alcove tub/shower. The plumbers come today to start later and I haven't decided this yet! I bought the tub kit w the spout, valve, and fixed shower head combo. But my desire was to do a slide bar w adjustable head and just leave out the fixed head from the kit. Contractor says he does both and will just put the slide bar off to the side a little.

Not sure how I feel about that. We're doing oil rubbed bronze on the white tile so it's a high contrast and didn't know if adding one more thing will make it too busy looking?

It's not a giant master type shower, just a standard tub shower. I get all that stuff in a more grand shower ;). Also with the slide bar off to the side, he pointed more to the corner, won't the spray then be pointing more toward the shower curtain (doing shower curtain not glass). That just sounds like a watery mess w/ kids (their bathroom).

Thoughts on adding both in a tub/shower. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• gillis95
    Original Author
    7 years ago

just slide bar

with fixed head too

• jck910
    7 years ago

I did just slide bar without stationary head in both my bathrooms. Really see no need for 2 heads.

• acm
    7 years ago

A lot of people want to have both, so that they can choose between a full shower and, say, just spraying off without getting their hair wet. But I presume you'd like the adjustable height so that you can use the sprayer to, say, rinse the kids' hair, while having the shower option there for them later. That should be fine. Some shower heads attach at the normal height but are removable for use as sprayers, and others actually attach to a bar and slide up and down -- the latter require more attachment points for the bar, and the shower hose might attach to the plumbing at a different point too. (This might not be important, although keeping things "standard" might give you more flexibility to switch to a regular showerhead later.) If you have two heads, you may need a different controller, to switch between the functions.

Here are some examples of various approaches:

HotelSpa 7-Setting Hand Shower with ON/OFF Pause Switch, Brushed Nickel/Chrome · More Info

Mia Shower Spray Set, Brushed Nickel · More Info

Aqua Rain Shower System, Chrome · More Info

Luka 3 Way Thermostatic Shower with adjustable Tub Spout · More Info

Astbury Thermostatic Shower System With Tub Spout Square Head and Slim Handset · More Info

Drill-Free Adjustable Arch Slide Bar Large with 7-Setting Rainfall Hand Shower · More Info

Grohe 27140BE0 Rainshower Rustic 24" Shower Set, Sterling · More Info

Anyway, you need to decide: (1) one or two heads -- I'd suggest one for kids, but it's up to you, and (2) if one, then a slider or just a removable head/adjustable height.

gillis95 thanked acm
  • gillis95
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think I feel good about just keeping 1 head in there. Then my debate was the slide bar for height adjustable or the fixed handheld like your first pic - again kids bath not my dream lux bath :)

But I think I prefer the slide bar so you can rinse off without washing hair, I can lower it when washing the dog and reach it. But then I start over analyzing if we ever want to change fixtures and the damage to the tile wall. I'm just saving lots of extra tile just in case.

I've been quite astounded at the complexity of shower set-ups!! lol But again - KIDS SHOWER!! I don;t think I'm emotionally prepared to do ours next year :) I apparently think this is life and death by the time invested in each item says my husband.

Thanks - panic mode now resolved - until the next decision...