Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blakez15

Finish up master bedroom re do

blakez15
7 years ago

I've been re-doing our master bedroom. It has tall ceilings and a full wall of windows. It was all white but I had it painted with a contrasting color wall behind the bed. What I need now is a lamp on the dresser. The 2 lamps on each side of the bed are beautiful white ceramic from pottery barn and I re did the bedding in natural linen. I've seen a few lamps that caught my eye but do I stick with the same round shade and ceramic or go with something different ? The lamps I saw are from pier1.com (3135588, 3145110, 2420450) and various tripod table lamps from wayfair.com. Thanks for any suggestions!! (Any other suggestions are welcome also) I'm changing to a cleaner contemporary look

Comments (134)

• User
    7 years ago
    That's not a negative feedback I'm just saying she is able to join the closets together to give them a walk in whenever she can....why would you think that as negative
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

One per window hung from top window outside mount.

4 windows each $600-$700........around $2400-$2800

I think their is a 15% off code available....

blakez15 thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you HIWE. However because I have 1 more bathroom to remodel, that's more than I really want to spend on my bedroom windows. I'm also not sure about the outside mounts. I don't think I would care for the length of the stack when they would be in the open position. It seems it would cut off a lot of the upper windows. You originally said you didn't think anything was needed on the windows and that first impression may be the best after all. I did send for a few more panel samples from HPD that are patterned and 120 inches long. They're still the sheers. I'm still hanging on to your side panel idea to give a bit of softness and frame the whole window but I can let that go if your first impression is really the best. I'm such a processor it drives my husband crazy. But I appreciate all the ideas. Also, because the panels wouldn't close over the window, could I consider semi-sheers or would that be a little too heavy?

• blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Claire, I appreciate your concern for my closet but they are 2 separate closets and are small. We barely can clear the hangers. There's no way to enlarge those as the kitchen is behind them and we can't take up any space in the bedroom. I dream of someday adding on behind the bed wall to create a wi but that won't happen now. Thanks though.

• blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'd like to look at the dresser wall again if that's ok. I'm waiting on the floor lamp to see if that will work for the left side of the dresser. What about the right side? Do I need something more on the dresser? Maybe candles? If I keep the floor lamp on the left, do I need something for the floor on the right? vase with long branches? I'm reposting the pic to remind you. Thanks!

• User
    7 years ago
    This is what your room look like with sconces
    blakez15 thanked User
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Looks kinda like a bathroom vanity IDK....maybe sconces that look more modern/Transitional in a bronze?....something like this? But would need to install electric box...

• User
    7 years ago
    Sorry I kind of focused on the mirror too
    blakez15 thanked User
  • Ann
    7 years ago

What a nice room! Posting to follow.

blakez15 thanked Ann
  • blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Would 1 sconce to the left of the dresser work? I already have lamps on each side of the bed. I think 2 would be overkill. I get the floor lamp you suggested on Tuesday and can't wait to see how it will look. HIWE I like the sconce you posted. I'll check the size but how far from the dresser if we use just one? I'm not worried about the electrical. There's a box next to the dresser. I still want to see how the floor lamp you suggested works. That will help determine our direction too. Claire I like what you put on the dresser. It makes it look less bare.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yes the floor lamp....I really think it is going to look great...one sconce is silly and I agree two more lamps is over kill....keeping my fingers crossed!!

• blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

More to be revealed on Tuesday...............

• Ann
    7 years ago

I hope the floor lamp works well. I'm new to this thread, but I'd change very little about this nice room. Sounds like window coverings are being considered. I have windows like that in my living room (tall and one set on top of the other). If I were you, I'd leave the windows bare. But, if you need privacy or light control, I'd consider shades that hardly show when open and only on the bottom set of windows.

blakez15 thanked Ann
  • Ann
    7 years ago

The kind of shades I was referring to in my above comment would be like Hunter Douglas Vignette in a neutral color like the wall. That's what I went with in my similar living room window situation.

blakez15 thanked Ann
  • blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Ann for joining us. And thank you for the compliment. We're all our own worst critics. I did wonder about using the sheers only on the bottom windows. Our ceilings are 14 ft tall and the reality is that I kind of wish our windows were a little taller. If I put sheers just on the bottom, i wonder if it would cut the wall in 1/2 and make them look shorter. We don't need them for privacy. I just thought it might add some softness for the windows. I do like them without anything ok but it's fun to try other ways . I've been trying to not clutter too much but worry I'm going overboard the other way. Do you have a picture of your window you could post? Thanks so much!

• blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What a gorgeous room! How tall are your ceilings? I love your shades. In our bedroom I'd probably do a flat roman so when they're down, we'd still have a filtered view of our pretty country/forest view. We're in the process of landscaping the back with a new deck and hardscape and large boulders by the pond. We'll be adding lighting which will be very pretty at night so that's why I like the sheers or nothing on the windows. Thanks for sharing!

• Ann
    7 years ago

Thank you - I've had a lot of help from Houzz dilemmas. I think our living room ceiling is about 14', like yours. I love shades in general and saw a discussion of the Shade Store, above in this thread. My most recent shade purchase was from the Shade Store for my dining room. My purpose in that room was to make my window look like it started up high. In reality, the window top is right above the bottom of where this shade hits. It's a stupid looking window and I wanted to "trick" the eye with this new shade. I used to have drapes in here, but I really don't like drapes (unless they're custom and hang beautifully), so now I don't have them in any room. Notice, my art in here is a little bit like yours in your bedroom:)

My House · More Info

blakez15 thanked Ann
  • Ann
    7 years ago

In case you decide to go with the Shade Store, they aren't inexpensive, but I was very pleased with their choices and their product. You could get a beautiful sheer looking shade (as you described) from them, for sure.

blakez15 thanked Ann
  • blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ann, the art was the first thing I noticed when I looked at your picture. It definitely looks a little like mine! I love how you did your shades on the window. They really do trick the eye in thinking there's more window on top. Nice!

• blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I know you told me I don't need anything on the chest wall but I found this clock yesterday and wondered how it would look. I thought it might fill up some of the empty space above the chest. What do you think? Would I hang it at the height of the window or a little higher? I can return it if the vote is not to put anything up there. Thanks !

• User
    7 years ago
    How about a bowl of wrapped towels with a tribal vase
    blakez15 thanked User
  • Ann
    7 years ago

I think I'd skip the clock and keep your eye out for something like the tribal vase suggestion. Or, maybe hang a big cool African Wedding basket on the wall.

blakez15 thanked Ann
  • Ann
    7 years ago

If you wanted something on the wall, maybe something like this Crate and Barrel Marisol Wall Art (30" diameter) rather than a clock.

blakez15 thanked Ann
  • Susan Davis
    7 years ago

Hang the mirror vertically and to the left where you have room to stand in front of it with out being squeezed by the bed. Add a metal tall lamp in glass, or a shiny metal; brass, gold, silver, chrome, neutral but bright. On the armoire I think a tall glass vase, 18 - 24 inches with a spray of silk flowers or greenery would be pretty cool looking and add some life to the room. Great room by the way! Lucky you. Would do remote blinds for the windows but I like privacy at night and that is just me; oh and the white lamps by the bed are pretty perfect I think.

I did say tall! Flowers that will look great on the armoire.

Try Home Good, TJMaxx, Marshalls, Tuesday Morning, Michaels, etc. Post pics this is such a fun post.

San Benito · More Info

Urban Living - Pacific Heights · More Info

• Ann
    7 years ago

I do rather like the idea of something on the wall or on the furniture top - just to kind of soften the top lines of the furniture and two nearby doors. A large floor vase would be another idea, but I wouldn't place anything in these. Just a simple huge vase on top of the furniture. These are all Crate and Barrel and they have a few more too. I was looking at "floor vases".

blakez15 thanked Ann
  • Susan Davis
    7 years ago

Hang the mirror vertically and to the left where you have room to stand in front of it with out being squeezed by the bed. Add a metal tall lamp in glass, or a shiny metal; brass, gold, silver, chrome, neutral but bright. On the armoire I think a tall glass vase, 18 - 24 inches with a spray of silk flowers or greenery would be pretty cool looking and add some life to the room. Great room by the way! Lucky you. Would do remote blinds for the windows but I like privacy at night and that is just me; oh and the white lamps by the bed are pretty perfect I think.

I did say tall! Flowers that will look great on the armoire.

Try Home Good, TJMaxx, Marshalls, Tuesday Morning, Michaels, etc. Post pics this is such a fun post.

San Benito · More Info

Urban Living - Pacific Heights · More Info

• blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow! Great ideas! I assume if I hang something like a vase on the chest it would be to 1 side? Not in the middle? Ann, thanks for the pics of the wall art and vases. I got the floor lamp and am putting a picture of it on here. I used Claire's idea for the top of the dresser. I think it looks so much better than empty. I actually like the floor lamp with it's white paper shades. Comments?

Thank you to HIWE for that idea. Susan, are you talking about the mirror on the dresser? We did flip it vertically and hung it higher. I have a full length mirror right outside the door of the bedroom so the mirror on the dresser is mainly to mirror and reflect the light from the large windows. Thanks everyone. I look forward to your comments about the objects on the dresser.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

The floor lamp is great....I would move it just a bit more away from dresser...might be just a little to much on dresser....try moving the smaller photo over with the two candlesticks for a set of three items...move box over a bit to the left remove large photo..can it go on a night stand?

of course if you love it as is......don't want to mess you up! Just feels like it is over loaded a bit.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Really feel like above the armoire should be empty...but here are a few items that might look pretty....this would bounce light around the room...

this is very soft and would not look heavy..

• Ann
    7 years ago

The dresser looks fantastic! I love the floor lamp and agree to move it to the left just a bit.

blakez15 thanked Ann
  • Ann
    7 years ago

As far as the chest, I like the marisol wall art the best (hanging on the wall with nothing sitting on the chest), assuming the chest is at least 30" wide. I don't think that wall art would look right if it is wider than the chest.

Actually, I'd really like the wall art and also the first floor vase from Crate and Barrel sitting on the chest, kind of off to one side. But, buying both of them gets a little expensive.

blakez15 thanked Ann
  • blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I really like all of your suggestions. I'm really torn. Here's a photo of the modified dresser pic. Is this what you had in mind?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Yes very nice!! You can scooch the frame more in front of the candlesticks..but I like this much better...you are always such a sport:))

• Mary de Jesus
    7 years ago
    Your room is absolutely gorgeous. I'm interested in the end product. Just wanted to say also, everything that Home Interiors with Ease gets involved with has turned out spectacular. Can't wait to have her jump in on mine when ready.
    blakez15 thanked Mary de Jesus
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Idk I feel like that big wall needs something that has no structure or nothing at all....I did see a very cool piece from Pottery Barn I will post it.....

• Ann
    7 years ago

I like the original version a little better, with the two frames on the left. This way, it looks like too many sticks (lol) in a row. I like the way the solid look of the frames gave a separation between the floor lamp and the candlestick pair.

blakez15 thanked Ann
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Very interesting but not cheap;/

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Thank you so much Mary de Jesus :)) what a nice thing to say!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Maybe try the large frame only on the left ....and keep the candlesticks and small frame a together on right and box in middle....just seems like a lot of stuff over on that side of the room??? Feel like it is competing with the floor lamp..talking out loud again hehe:))

• User
    7 years ago
    I looks great blakez15....I guess the frames in front of the candelabra looks better without the larger frame
    blakez15 thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago
    Thank you blake15 and Ann I appreciate your feedback and yours too HIWE
    blakez15 thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago
    I didn't know that was the lamp HIWE suggested I thought it was the slim one called Bennett I think
  • blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Good morning, Here's the dresser top #3. The big picture is back with little pic on the right with the candles. Now there are 3 choices. I love this! I"ve decided to leave the chest wall blank for the moment. I realize there is a lot going on with the landscape outside and that probably should be the focus. I'm going to be gone today but will check back tonight. Keep the ideas flowing! Thank you!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

1-2 or 3

my vote is # 2

• blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Would a smaller frame work on the left? This one is 11x14. Maybe an 8x10? But I like #2 also.

• User
    7 years ago
    IDK... I still like no.1 but no.3 is good too...it's up to you which layout your comfortable with
    blakez15 thanked User
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

You could try the large frame with the candlesticks and small on the left..but #1 is just not right....sets of 2 on both sides just doesn't look right best to have uneven numbers...

• blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all with your suggestions! I really have enjoyed the discussions and great advice. I've decided to leave the chest wall blank. I go back and forth with the window wall. Whatever I end up doing I know it will have to be simple. I discovered that we have a shade store in Portland so I'm going to stop by next week. I like either the sheer roman shades (but prefer them to be inside mount), or the long panels on each side of the windows. I don't want to cover the molding on the windows. The dresser looks SO much better! Simple changes really made a difference! I have a new post out regarding our landscape project behind our house. It's called "Help with landscape around natural pond" I'm posting a picture in case you'd like to jump in there or pass the info on. We're in zone 8. Thanks everyone!! P.S I absolutely love the floor lamp!! I put 25 watt candelabra bulbs in them and they cast a beautiful soft light, just what I was looking for. Thank you HIWE!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Blakez15 you are very welcome! That floor lamp was a great find and so happy you are enjoying it in your space!:)) I will look at your other thread too! Your yard looks amazing.

• blakez15
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's a work in progress thank you. We're totally redoing the deck and adding hardscape by the pond. The deck will wrap around the hot tub to give it a bit of a sunken look. I'm excited about it when the plants get in!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida