Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillaaustin

Our new master bath for ~20K!

Jill Austin
7 years ago

Our 1967 rancher has the master redone is the late 80's/early 90s by the previous owner. It was pink floor to ceiling tile and white washed oak you see from that time. Our contractor gutted the entire bathroom and replaced everything. I source all the materials from warehouse suppliers to save. Replaced the huge pink jacuzzi tub with a free standing. Toilet is in a separate smaller room not pictured but included in the project We couldn't be happier with he results. We still need to get blinds for the window but the big bush right outside blocks any view.

Approximate square footage 11 x 20 = 220 sq ft

Cost breakdown

2 vanities (with counter and sink) = $1350

floor/shower tile = $700

tub = $1000

facets/shower head/tub filler = $600

Vanity Lights = $300

Glass shower in Starphire = $2515

misc building materials (paint, new door, mirrors, fan, lights, cement, plumbing, grout, etc) = $1,500

Labor = $12,000

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Fratantoni Lifestyles
    7 years ago

Looks great!

• Bombayhills
    7 years ago

great transformation! looks fabulous

• PRO
    MOVAdesign
    7 years ago

Great project and the results are awesome. What state is this project located? The reason I ask is the cost for the size is very aggressive. Congrats!

• PRO
    Ancient Stone
    7 years ago

Beautiful update!

• Jill Austin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

California (Bay Area) so yes, prices are higher, but I was quoted twice this by some contractors. All materials were found at discount warehouses.

• PRO
    Hudson Home
    7 years ago

Very nice shower.. I like the grey floor tiles.

• PRO
    MOVAdesign
    7 years ago

Jill, actually 20k is not bad at all. Amazing budget considering the location, size and finish level of the project. I'm actually shocked that it's in CA. I'm lucky if I get 9K for labor alone in MD for a bathroom 60 sq. ft.

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    7 years ago

Great job with a great budget, congrats !

• Tony Montana
    7 years ago

I'm sorry but it don't look like a 20k bathroom. I looks better but not by much. Did you get rid of the sky light? Why?

• PRO
    M&R Custom Millwork Inc
    7 years ago

Nicely Done!

• PRO
    Mega Builders
    7 years ago

Gorgeous work! Looks great!

• PRO
    MOVAdesign
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Tony Montana, the project is in CA. Construction prices vary based on regions, states, urban vs rural, etc. I don't doubt that it was 20K. That is actually a great budget when compared to the variables.

• Tony Montana
    7 years ago

@ MOVAdesign, Yeah thats true. I'm a seasoned do it yourself-er so I can imagine I could do this bathroom for less then 5k. But your right, Cali prices are ridiculous. Thats why I don't live there. I'd rather spend money on toys in my garage. vroom vroom. California gas sux also. Its cheap gas yet expensive price and the ethanol kills cars.

• PRO
    MOVAdesign
    7 years ago

Not sure how you would do it under 5K when the material cost is over 7,900 but to each is his own.

• Tony Montana
    7 years ago

Trust me, I could find these materials much cheaper. Especially those vanities and the tub. The tiles I don't like anyway so I'd find others. The only thing that would be pretty pricey would be the frame-less glass shower.

• PRO
    Stecki Construction
    7 years ago

Looks very nice! Peaceful and relaxing!

• PRO
    KT tile
    7 years ago

beautiful work!

• Tony Montana
    7 years ago

I guess I'm just not used to seeing hired help prices. I'm a DIYer and rarely hire someone. Only things I can't do or is just not worth doing myself. For example, I just dropped off a slab of granite that is going to be cut for my bar 2 days ago. I made a template and dropped it off. Cut, beveled, and polished with a water jet, $75. Should be ready today. I got the 96"x37" slab free from a remnants yard (guy hooked me up lol). Basically a junk yard for granite, quartz, ect.. I do a lot of things myself so I have an army of warehouses and shops I can turn to, to get stuff done cheap. Plumbing is extremely cheap if you do it yourself. Copper, fittings and stuff like that is very cheap. I forgot I have a glass guy also, I could probably get that shower at half the price. Labor is usually equal or more then the materials, that I know of. But in my case, having a lot of connections is a huge plus.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    7 years ago

Well done!

• PRO
    Daniela Pluviati Staging & Design
    7 years ago

I love the dark flooring with the white free standing tub!

• PRO
    Architecture Plus Inc
    7 years ago

Looks great!

• PRO
  • PRO
    ERT Architects, Inc
    6 years ago

wonderful update-- very modern.

• justinalexx
    6 years ago
    Gorgeous! I know how hard it is to get a bathroom at that price when using a contractor
  • PRO
    May Construction, Inc.
    6 years ago

Absolutely stunning, great job!