0
Find the right pro for your project

Houses like this?

sharayak
Not really a "design dilemma" but I'm wondering if any one has a home like this?

This picture is a Eatons catalogue house which our home was probably based on. Although ours isn't exactly the same plan, and not a kit house, the general look is the same. It is a very modest "craftsman" and I'm wondering if there is a style that describes it better. It has no fireplace or stained glass. Oak floors and 12 inch baseboards on the main, fir floors upstairs. The mouldings are simple. Three rooms on the main floor, plus kitchen addition and 4 and a bath upstairs.

We have a lot of inspiration, and would love to restore the exterior. Someone "ruined" the front in the 70s with aluminum windows, shutters and soffits, and wide vinyl siding over the cedar shakes and original plank siding. All the houses here have had their porches covered, that might be original.

Does anyone own a house similar? Or what style is this? It was built around 1910.

• sharayak
    Our Simple Old House · More Info

House with the 70s upgrades.
  • sharayak
    One main difference from my house and the Eatons house is the window jutting out and our house used to have more corbels. There are two other houses like ours in our neighbourhood and they have the corbels.
  • ptreckel
    Your home is what is called an "American Foursquare." Check out this article on the history of the house: http://www.oldhouseonline.com/articles/american-foursquare
    Julie Kardatzke Architect, LLC

I agree. I'd consider that an American Foursquare. There are many variations of that style.

• sharayak
    It does really have the plain and practical sentiments of the Foursquare, but would a Foursquare be without a hip roof and dormers? Really it's even a more plain foursquare!
    Julie Kardatzke Architect, LLC

I don't think it's a perfect fit for the Foursquare category, but I can't think of any other style that it's closer to.