Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
armygirl1988

Light fixture for breakfast nook area.

armygirl1987
11 years ago
I have the electrician coming to the house and would like to get all electrical work done was wondering and I am sure that I have asked this question before is it okay to get lights before new table for nook area. This is follow up from a previous post.
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/paint-color-dsvw-vd~423370

Comments (154)

• studio10001
    11 years ago
    Oh, and don't forget the Margot comes in two colors. OK, really gone, this time/.
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    So the Adessa is not sold in local store and Margot available for pick up in 4 to 7 days so neither will help me tomorrow.
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think in order to stay sane I am gonna wait until I do the update to the banquette first and then do light after that. Trying to do the light first is backwards the more Zi think about it.
  • PRO
    Berry Supply Corp.
    11 years ago
    Your corner nook has a kind of country feel so I would stay away from anything too modern or industrial looking. I also noticed that the present directional light is not centered over the table. Consider moving the electrical at the same time. You can swag a light over the table so it's in the right place but it always looks like a quick fix.
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I am gonna change that nook out. It wont stay.
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    So I got the guy to come Sunday now for other light work.
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Studio10001 if you out there I think that I have found something that both you and I will love. Check so that I know that you still out there with me before I post the pics
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are a few picture what I like is that you can pick the color that you want. The price is a bit much but....
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Youzza, houzza!!
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are a few other color ideas.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    So, the globe was a no-go, or never-came?
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I had stopped it because I thought that we had made a decision on something else. As you can see I am confuse.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    There isn't a wrong choice here; plan Bs (remember that far back?!) were in case something went wrong w your shipment, or it didn't arrive in time for your electrician. So that brings us back to "which one do you love"? Because there are now five choices ( w multiple shades), by my count?
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The question is this knowing that I want a nook and not glass table I am left with what will look better in the area. That can go with whatever nook that I decide to get build. I want the booth feel that you slide in and have a set. Want it to be comfortable so that I can cook and read and also do homework if I choose to. Anyway I am rambling.
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Ultimately the question is which one will fit when the nook is scomplete and if the drum shades will then I would rather go with those than the other styles.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    You've mentioned waiting on this and building the nook first several times, and it makes sense. You have narrowed lighting selections down enough to get THE thing once the banquet is done. Put this to the back burner (and if the electrician is still coming today, perhaps concentrate on getting the box centered over the table placement)..you can hang the choice yourself when you are ready.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Drum shades will be great.
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, awesome no plans on buying until work is done but just looking for another eye and you seem to be the one. So ultimately drum shade it will be when it is done, should I go with one color or do you like the color patterns here. As I have said before and I will say it again. Thanks for being patient and helpful.
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    @Angela -- Yes, artwork 6 inches over the couch.
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Picture lower
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Would be nice to add pic
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I also made him reuse a pendant for now until I do the redo. I know that is not the right size but it us good for now.
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Love the pendant, I have two estimate so far for the banquet, one guy came today and the lady will be back to give me a price. Hopefully it is something decent, not really going to pay to much when I saw a round table on sample from the local furniture store for $299
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    How much is that pendant
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    $86 @ Joss and Main. 20"
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    These are what I am talking about.
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    joss and main is a weird search do you know what sale it is under
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not the bed but the first one was floor sample for $299 and the others were around $399
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    cachet decor
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I see it and I love that it is cheap, only thing there is no return do I take that risk.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    too much, I think. I think longer shapes in the bedroom to maximize wall height. No, don't take a risk; you have to love it, or the bargain doesn't matter.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    DP, the bargains may come through your designer?
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love it for the kitchen and I think that it is worth the risk because I wanted to go with something other than plain ones. what is DP...
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will just go with the banquette in the back part of the wall and not the full wall so the two sides will be free and it wont be to crowded. Add a round table and call it a day
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The paint color will be around for a while and the colors are nice that I can pick out pillows and a seat cover, I was thinking of the blues from the living room and the green from the bedroom.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Don't forget to measure the table :)
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can you tell me what is DP again and did you say order or I did not hear I found your chandy.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    DP = Dismey Primcess. What?
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Did you say get the light.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    No. I said don't do anything that feels risky. It is not the last pendant made in America! If your new table ends up being smaller than the existing one, the light may be too large. Our dimensions were based on your using the old table, remember.
  • armygirl1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The first estimate was too high so sent her back to the drawing board so the banquette lives on.
  • Rory Hiebert
    10 years ago
    If you are looking for affordable lighting, try going to a local wholesaler that has a retail option. You can easily save 50% on similar fixtures at normal retail and big-box stores.
  • Rory Hiebert
    10 years ago
    As for the original questions of what type of fixture to use, as noted in other comments you must take into consideration the amount of illumination needed and tasks being accomplished in the area. The best part of choosing a drum shade, metal shade, or open face pendant is that they generally have higher wattage output that other fixtures, up to 150-250w ratings. If you want a grander fixture, go with a 3-6 lamp chandelier. The wattage capabilities is mainly a concern when using incandescent bulbs (which in many areas are being discontinued or phased out).
  • Rory Hiebert
    10 years ago
    LED and CFL lamps are being chosen as the successor for the incandescent. When using LED or CFL lamps, power rating is not necessarily a concern. Even though many people opt for traditional incandescent or halogen light bulbs due to their warmer color, technology in LED has came a long way in the recent years. You can now get omnidirectional LED lamps that even maintain the natural 'orangey' softness to the light as it is dimmed mimicking the ambiance of incandescent lamps. Make sure when selecting an LED or CFL lamp that you pay close attention to the lumen output rather than the wattage rating. As LED and CFL lamps have a lower power consumption, it is harder to compare brands and types of lamps unless you look at it's lumen rating, generally the higher the lumen rating, the brighter the light. Figure out how much light you want in equivalence to other light fixtures and go from there. Approximate numbers for comparison are the following: incandescent bulbs are 10-15 lumens/watt, CFL's are 50-80 lumens/watt and LED's can be 80-200 lumens per watt. Other factors to consider are CRI and CCT, but mainly the coloration, or Kelvin, ratings. Incandescent lampcoloring are around 2700K while LED's are available for soft/warm white (2700K), neural white (3500K) and cool white (4100K). This will directly affect how much lumens you need to achieve the same perception of light. once you have decided this, you can narrow your search for what size, type or style o flight fixture you will require.
  • Rory Hiebert
    10 years ago
    Forgive me if this is common or unnecessary information. I can't help but get carried away at times. I may be one of the only people obsessed with light bulbs...
  • Rory Hiebert
    10 years ago
    My vote is for the the fixture from Lowes in the 8th comment, bottom right corner with a 60W Victorian Squirrel Cage Lamp if you like dim ambiance, or with a, 20W LED lamp with around 1500 lumens at 2700K if you like brighter areas.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Hello,I recommend some pendant lights for you.Please visit Jollyhome.com If you need more!