Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dnell_j

Please help furnish my living room!

dnell_j
7 years ago

We're finally done with most of the remodeling and ready to furnish! Looking for two couches, two accent chairs, maybe a couple end tables and a nice area rug for our large living room to give it a cozy farmhouse feel. It needs to be able to handle the use and abuse of my husband, 1yo, and two dogs. Please help me!!

Comments (32)

• PRO
    The Stated Home
    7 years ago

Your remodel looks fantastic! Great background for some pretty furniture. For a farmhouse look, I would start with a good set of rolled arm sofas. This Nantucket sofa is made by Lee Industries, will last forever, and withstand the abuses that come with kids climbing and jumping on furniture. You can get it slipcovered so it can be washed easily or in a stain resistant fabric. To balance out the traditional style of the sofas, I would pair with accent chairs that have straight arms like this Dallas or St. Paul chair. And since you have a young child, a cocktail ottoman, like the Jackson, will be nice because there are no sharp corners. I'd do an area rug with a worn look (better for hiding dirt) with a traditional pattern like this Macon Tobacco that is made by Karastan and has built in stain resistance. I'd bring in end tables with metal bases and a distressed wood top or something in reclaimed wood to add to the rustic feel. Of course this is just a start - it's hard to do much more without knowing if your more traditional or modern and what colors you like. If you need help picking fabrics for any of the furniture suggestions - just let me know!

dnell_j thanked The Stated Home
  • PRO
    M Whitehurst Designs
    7 years ago

The one thing I might change of The Stated Homes ideas is the fabric for the sofa. With children climbing on it, the slipcover will look rumpled and dirty constantly. I'm from Texas so leather is my love; however, if you want a fabric, I'd make certain that it was stain resistant and durable. A commercial grade fabric will stand up to a child.

dnell_j thanked M Whitehurst Designs
  • Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    I would stick to perhaps a charcoal colour sofa, in saying that Leather is my preferred with dogs and children, had them climbing over mine for years, still looks great, though I do polish it up every 6 months with a leather protecter. I think big ottomans are beaut, no sharp corners, no glass. Some inspirational pics.
    dnell_j thanked Irene Morresey
  • havingfun
    7 years ago

if i were looking iwould go to homereserve.com. i have gotten designer approval and independent +s from buyers. 10 years+! and the cheapest. say they have fabric for children and pets.

dnell_j thanked havingfun
  • dnell_j
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all so much! Loving all these ideas.. what do you think k of this couch

• PRO
    The Stated Home
    7 years ago

A chesterfield is a great design -- very timeless. It is a more of a formal look and not the comfiest for watching TV and lounging since it has a tight back so it depends on how you're using the room on if it will work or not.

dnell_j thanked The Stated Home
  • dnell_j
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ahhh.. it's gets a lot of use so maybe not the best option

• PRO
    The Stated Home
    7 years ago

I've sat in some very comfortable chesterfields - they can have a lot of padding in those tufts, but most of my customers prefer a sofa with back cushions for a more comfortable lounging spot.

• PRO
    M Whitehurst Designs
    7 years ago

I love the chesterfield. Even though it looks stiff and formal, I've used them successfully in family rooms. Camel leather will give it a more casual look plus with kids and dogs, it will look great for a long time. Cushions won't break down and get misshapen. Also, I've used oversized ottomans with rollers to double as either a cocktail table and/or ottoman.

dnell_j thanked M Whitehurst Designs
  • dnell_j
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm pretty sure I made up my mind. I'll probably regret getting beige but I'm in love!! Getting two of these. Now for the accent chairs rug pillows throws and table/ottoman!! Eeee :):)

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Can they harm a $900 Italian leather chair idk.

Paros Italian Leather Armchair - CI-H130-BRG-1 · More Info

dnell_j thanked everdebz
  • dnell_j
    Original Author
    7 years ago

To me they just don't compare.. I'm doing it! Thank you for your suggestions though. Definitely opened my eyes to everything that's out there!

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Maybe a focus on cool chairs, like:

Farmhouse Den · More Info

dnell_j thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

$250 and loved by 3 customers:

Floral Arm Chair, 28W X 31D X 36H, Gray Wash · More Info

dnell_j thanked everdebz
  • dnell_j
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Love the floral chair!!

• everdebz
    7 years ago

or brown.

Safavieh SER209-6 Serenity Area Rug · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

8 x 10' for 210:

Nuloom Vintage Messer Rug, Cream, 8'x10' · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

ok, what are your accent colors?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

with mercury lamps of shine, and textures around?

Lavish Home Vintage Floral Rug, Brown Grey, 8' X 10' · More Info

• dnell_j
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I really like blues greens gray brown yellows..

• havingfun
    7 years ago

Blue - Size 8' x 10' - 7x9 - 10x14 Rugs · More Info

Turquoise 5' x 8' Metropolis Rug | Area Rugs | eSaleRugs · More Info

8 5 Area Rugs | Rugs Direct · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

Seafoam and Chartreuse Pillow, Cover Only · More Info

Outdoor 17 in. Square Accent Pillow, Set of 2, Shoreham Green Ikat · More Info

Ikat Design Down Decorative Throw Pillow · More Info

Gunnison 16.5" Throw Pillow · More Info

Navy and Green Pillow, Cover Only · More Info

Amazon.com: Generic Custom Pillow With Filler Vintage Blue Elegant Colorful Peac · More Info

Modern Decorative Pillows - Size: 18" Square | AllModern · More Info

Decorative Accents : Decorative Pillows | Hayneedle.com · More Info

Greendale Home Fashions Vivid Stripe Throw Pillow & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

Moonlight Medallion Pillow, 7x18 · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

Dendro Rug Sample · More Info

Feizy Thatcher Rug, Citron, 5'x8' · More Info

nuLOOM BHBC62B Barcelona Sunflower Hand Hooked Anya Area Rug | ATG Stores · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

Prints · More Info

23" Empress Yellow and Gray Pillow - At Home · More Info

Eden Pillow Cover, Yellow · More Info

Fuzzy Faux Snow Leopard Pillow | Pier 1 Imports · More Info

Green, Gray And Yellow Dotted Throw Pillow Cover · More Info

Green, Gray And Yellow Stripe Throw Pillow Cover, 20"x20" · More Info

April Leaf Throw Pillow Cover, Mustard Yellow and White, 16"x16" · More Info

Lumbar Pillows | Wayfair · More Info

Bungalow Rose Mellah Indoor/Outdoor Lumbar Pillow & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info
    i have others in these colors and can toss what you don't like.

• dnell_j
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Do you like these?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Chair of course is same color of floor. The rug has a minty-sage look? but how will you relate that to all the grey walls? Not sure.

• PRO
    Niche Interiors
    7 years ago

I would start with the right layout for the room, then select furniture that fits that scale. I would opt for transitional furniture and sofas with loose back cushions for comfort. I've included a few ideas of furniture shapes/styles below. Good luck!

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

Traditional Living Room · More Info

• dnell_j
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey niche, thanks for the input! My big dogs think they're small cats and the couches we have now are 3 years old but look 10 because they like to sleep on top of the back cushions so that was my reason for steering away. And the layout I was picturing was similar to your first photo with the two chairs next to each other perpendicular to the couches.

• Susan Davis
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I vote no for the brown leather chair; it is too far away in colors you want to use in the room and the style will overwhem the lighter weight sofa imo....try the accent chair in grey, taupe, navy, rust would all add livliness to the room.

This room is similar to yours in openess and colors chosen so far....note the darker rug that grounds the room, and the dark easy chair and darker pillows....strive to have three accents at least like the dark navy/charcoal shown, to balance all the light walls ceiling and furniture.

Also check out more info to see other shots of the living room and dining room for inspiration......additionally see if you can take a chair home on loan to see how it words in your room.....it will be a focal point due to its contrast.

Blue Living Room · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

did you want me to ditch the pillows?

• PRO
    Live Good
    7 years ago

After you are finished furnishing the place, if you need additional decorative pillows for the sofas or chairs we might be able to help!