Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onnf2019

QUIET exhaust fan quest.

onnf2019
7 years ago

I wear hearing aids and am a serious cook. Need a fan that meets code, functions, is quiet and then simple design. If I had my way, I wouldn't have an exhaust (this will be my first). I'd just open the window, but code is code. Sigh.

It is to go above a CORNUFE 110 and will be mounted about 5" higher than average. (I hate hitting my head and don't like the way they darken the cooking area, even with LED lights) Thus, it will have to be slightly more powerful.

I'd LOVE one with the motor mounted on the roof. I could vent this from the cabinet, into the adjacent chimney and straight up! But I'm not sure if the sound of exhausting through the chimney will create a sound tunnel. No professional has been able to answer that one.

I have been researching this for 2 years!!

Manufacturers are not answering all my questions. HVAC locals have never installed a room mount motor that wasn't commercial and can't advise.

I should have thought of asking the community at Houzz a long time ago!

Comments (11)

• User
    7 years ago

If it is "code", then how could this "be your first"? Where do you live that the permit for installing the stove let's you wait 2 years to install it correctly? Most building permits expire after 6-12 months, and you would lose your certificate of occupancy, meaning you would not be allowed to live there if a hood were necessary for code.

These installation instructions do not require a hood.

http://www.lacornueusa.com/file/10

Neither does the IRC

A code required vent hood would have to be installed no higher than the distances mentioned in the installation instructions. The hood would only be allowed to be higher if the hood is not required by code.

If it is required by code, what is the required CFM, and how far past the range must the hood extend?

• onnf2019
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts. The stove without exhaust in the original kitchen was there before they became code. The reno requires the compliance with current code, and that means an exhaust. The stove has not been installed yet.

I'll study the info you sent and see how it applies to provincial code.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Canada? Canada requires mechanical KITCHEN ventilation. It does not need to be a range hood, or directly over the range. It is cold enough up there that the houses should be sealed up tightly, and the "authorities" do not want to rely on someone opening up a window. Therefore, outside make-up air is generally required for exhaust even below 400 cfm, and may be required to be preheated by the furnace before the MUA enters the rest of the house. There is usually a minimum CFM of around 100 for kitchens. The lower, the quieter. The bigger the exhaust duct, the quieter. An elbow between the outside fan and inside hood/grill can make it quieter. Smooth ductwork also helps. Not sure if I have seen smooth duct as a requirement in Canada yet. I will try to find the Canadian code(s) after dinner. Here is part of it.

9.32.3.12. Accessibility

1) Ventilation equipment shall be accessible for inspection, maintenance, repair and cleaning.

2) Except where the kitchen exhaust grille is located at least 1.2 m horizontally from the range, kitchen exhaust ducts shall be designed and installed so the entire duct can be cleaned where the duct is not equipped with an intake filter.

Union Gas says it is not required.

https://www.uniongas.com/residential/products-services/appliances-equipment/range/range-features

Ontario does not require a hood, just stipulates how it must be if there is one. They even give clearances to a cabinet above a stove without the protection of a hood.

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    Fred is right regarding code. Regarding the fan, you need an inline fan. I have installed one that could pull your wig off but is silent other than a whooshing sound because the washing machine sized blower is a room away in the attic.
  • PRO
    Reach Design
    7 years ago

We are working on a project right now (in Canada), where we are putting in this thing

http://www.bestrangehoods.com/store/products/productdetail.aspx?id=b7b66c7a-8d84-42b8-99f3-1630e77c7102

Cirrus celling mount hood and roof mounted external blower 600 CFM. The rough in for it so far was very difficult. It is not designed to go between the floors and we are putting it in between the floors (it's meant to go in the attic). We kinda half demoed the client's second bathroom, which they were not intending to renovate yet, so we can run the ducting in the cabinets. When it's all done it all will be very quiet and the space above island will look nice and airy and "hoodless". If you are not in the middle of a project right now, I can post an update when we are done.

• onnf2019
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all! I haven't responded earlier because of a death.

I looked at the Cirrus. Looks gorgeous! Too many comments on their page refer to problems with the remote control so I have discounted that unit until the remotes are improved or the unit can be hard wired.

If I understand this correctly:

CornFe does not require a hood,

the Gas Code doesn't require a hood; "Cooktop venting is not required but a vent hood that removes grease and odours is recommended. Select a direct-vent model that vents directly through an outside wall."

the Building Code in Ontario requires a point of exhaustion in the kitchen; that doesn't have to be a hood; it could be like a bathroom exhaust fan,

Ontario building Code: New construction requires a ventilation hood of at least 100cfm home is 1913.

I do not need a ventilation hood over the stove; but I need a mechanical devise to draw air out of the kitchen.

This may explain why I had such a difficult time and confusion over the answers and lack of answers to my questions from both HVAC and manufacturers!

That makes everything much easier and gives me time to find the perfect non-hood unit. (The cabinets above and next to the stove will exceed code for distance of combustibles.) a bathroom-style exhaust fan might be good on an exterior wall.

FYI: Wearing hearing aids and standing at the stove with my head below the hood that is operating is like standing inside a Pratt and Whitney jet engine - dizzying and very loud. I don't want to work in those conditions.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yes, that is my understanding. Hopefully, you can now get better local expertise by knowing the right perameters and the right way to phrase the questions you have.

One thing I do not see you mention in your last comment is make-up air. While a 100 cfm fan will probably not require it, a high cfm fan will. If a fan has to work against negative pressure, it will usually be louder as well. An inline, or outside fan will help, and make-up air will help even further, along with a generously sized duct.

• onnf2019
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Makeup air was an aspect that was not being answered when I spoke with the HVAC people. The water heater and high efficiency furnace both draw from outside. Of course, the two bathroom exhausts draw from the inside. Adding a kitchen exhaust, I would want make up air. Interestingly, by not using a hood, I'll be able to place the exhaust directly on an outside wall with no bends, and in-take air directly too. This is a much more efficient design.

Thanks to all of you for generously sharing information and experience, I feel confident I will now be able to communicate my needs and wants much more clearly, and still comply with code.

• PRO
    Reach Design
    7 years ago

How old is your house? Generally in old houses the make up air is not needed as the house is not "tight" so the gaps in the frame "make up the air" already.

• Melanie Rubery
    6 years ago

I want to put a 36 induction on the peninsula. I'm not a fan of the downdraft. A kitchen designer recommended the Broan L700. We have 8 foot ceilings and attic-no upstairs. Would this be enough? I looked at the Best range hood but its very expensive:)