Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
award240

Interior sheathing

WHS Homes
11 years ago
Are the boards you use for interior sheathing finger jointed or tongue and groove?
Beach Style Bedroom · More Info

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Historical Concepts
    11 years ago
    In this particular application, we've used butt boards, just plain boards butted up to each other.
  • PRO
    WHS Homes
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love the look, and have admired your site long before I rediscovered you on houzz. How do I convince my fiancee that wood is better than drywall??
  • PRO
    Historical Concepts
    11 years ago
    It comes down to preference, but there's no better way to add instant character to a room!
  • Liz Sage
    10 years ago
    I want to use butt boards on already plastered walsl in a 1940 home to get this effect, is that possible?
  • Liz Sage
    10 years ago
    Also, is butt board the same as gympsum?
  • PRO
    WHS Homes
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Liz, you can put boards over plaster without issue. They are just wooden boards, usually 3/4 inch thick. They are "butted" up to each other, as opposed to interlocking like a tongue and groove board. Typically you would use pine boards available from your local lumber yard. If you want to paint them a light color you will want to treat the knots so they don't show through with a product like Zinner's Bin.
  • Liz Sage
    10 years ago
    that makes sense thanks. and you just nail them into studs and paint once installed?
  • nikip31
    10 years ago
    Do you have problems using a wood countertop for your bathroom sink? We were going to replace the top on the unit we are refinishing as a sink cabinet for fear of it warping or becoming damaged.