0
ksagan

Has anyone used Viatera Soprano for their kitchen countertops?

ksagan

Hello, I am under deadline to make a decision on a countertop for our kitchen and need some help! We will have soft white shaker cabinets on the perimeter and a medium-brown stained island. I am interested in a softer white quartz countertop and the designer who is helping me has suggested LG Viatera Soprano. Not finding much on Houzz about it. Has anyone used Soprano in their kitchen or bathroom? If so, could you please share photos and let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

• diyher

I also bought biscuit silgranite sinks and oil rubbed bronze faucets, cabinet handles. The laundry room faucet is stainless since Vigo pullout sprays don't come in bronze. Powder room also biscuit isn't silgranite, but the standard porcelain

• slewisoh

White Dove pantry cabinets. Island cabinets are chestnut-stained cherry. Viatera Soprano counter

• Lynda

@slewish - beautiful. What do you think of the counters now that they're installed? Was the sample a good representation? Could you share more pics? Thanks.

• slewisoh

My 2x2 soprano sample was pretty worthless. None of the dark grey veining was apparent in my sample. We used Universal Granite’s Pure Gray quartz (OA8883) on the perimeter cabinets. Daltile Rittenhouse subway backsplash in Arctic White (0190)

• Rachael Thompson
    Wow I had no idea soprano had dark gray in it, my sample doesn’t show it either. It’s gorgeous!
  • slewisoh

Based on my muted sample, we planned to install a marble backsplash. But when the island went in we quickly switched to the plain white tiles. I do love the product and as I posted previously, believe it works with a range of cabinet finishes and hardware choices. FYI, the Universal Granite Pure Gray quartz shows water spots and is generally more work to maintain.

• Rachael Thompson

Thank you for all the info, slewisoh! I like the gray granite you used, but have 3 little kids, so maybe I can find a quartz that is similar, and not as much work to upkeep. Water spots would surely be happening with my kids!

I plan white dove cabinets, and a natural wood/ rustic wood on the island. I hope Soprano would look good with the natural/ rustic wood.

• slewisoh

I seriously considered using a lighter wood on the island - something like a natural white oak. I think it will work because the soft gold veining gives this quartz some warmth. My solid gray quartz was primarily a budget decision, as I had 24 lineal feet of perimeter cabinets to top plus a 4 x 8 island. The solid gray was about 35% less than the Soprano. It also helped me get past some analysis paralysis. I had a terrible time trying to get all of the whites to work together and throwing grey in alleviated some of that stress.

• Rachael Thompson

Slewisoh, that sounds so similar to me. I am panning lots of whites too. Currently in a log home, with no white at all. I am craving light and bright, just hoping not to overdo it! Don't want sterile, just light and bright. I am building a new home soon.

• Alex Gilels

Need recommendation: what kind of backsplash would go with Soprano countertop and modern moca cabinets?

• slewisoh

Assuming this is a contemporary dark cabinet I would look for a solid grey or white ceramic or glass tile with a stacked tile installation. Perhaps a 4x12 size. And with the soft gold veining in Soprano, consider picking up a brushed gold or antique brass accent in the backsplash and in cabinet hardware.

• Alex Gilels

Thank you, Slewisoh. 'Moca' is not quite dark color in our case it more on a lighter side - for upper cabinets and dark color base cabinets

• kmszabo

Wondering if anyone knows if Soprano will look ok with white sinks? It seems like everyone has used biscuit. We already ordered a white soaking tub so my sinks will have to match. We will have white dove vanity cabinets with Soprano countertops.

• slewisoh

We used Soprano in a bathroom with white Kohler fixtures. Apologies for picture quality.

• kmszabo

Looks beautiful- thanks!

• Rachael Thompson

How does this compare to Soprano? This is Ellipse Quartz: Veneto, from Unique Stone Concepts.

• kmszabo

slewisoh - love the previous pictures posted of your kitchen with Soprano. I am also having white dove cabinets. Did you paint your trim white dove? Also do you mind sharing your stain color for your kitchen floor? Thanks.

• slewisoh

Trim and doors throughout my house are SW Alabaster. Given that I have a somewhat open floorplan changing the trim in the kitchen was not a feasible option. On a new build or in a more closed space I would have matched the cabinet color and trim more closely. But in my situation I decided to embrace “layering whites” which kept me from going absolutely bonkers. The floors are red oak with a custom stain. I know it was a simple 1:1 combination of two colors. I used a cinammon stick as a color reference. When the cinammon stick disappeared on the floor we had the right color.

• diyher

100" snack bar on half wall · More Info

new kitchen · More Info

Kitchen updates 2012-2018 · More Info

• Lynda
    @diyher - love your countertops and green? paint color.
    Can you share the name? Thanks!
  • diyher
    I have more countertops, but still working on electrical, so kinda messy at the moment. The green is Sherwin Williams Contented.
    here are a couple more pictures showing the wall and a better close up of the counter that is also the top of this moveable cabinet I still have to get glass doors for
  • diyher

as for the color sinks, in my powder room I used Kohler's Biscuit. I used similar colors for my kitchen but Blanco's Biscuit and for my laundry room Elkay's Putty

• Linda M

Backsplash used subway tiles made by Sonoma in Natural. It's a bone color that matches very well.

• diyher

I just found their website Linda M, which did you choose? shape, style etc?

• Linda M

diyer - Sonoma Tilemakers, Pure, Ceramic Field Tile 3 x 6 Gloss in Natural. Grout: Custom Snow White. There is a Pure brochure on the website. I hope I save you a lot of time! All the tiles I found were too white or too yellow. I thought this was perfect. I didn't want to take away from the Soprano countertops. It looks white---just not stark white. Also, didn't want beige---looks kind of dirty. The beveled tile looked to glossy--but it may just be my kitchen. I selected just the regular tile (glossy and not matte) and it works. I'll try and post some photos tomorrow when there's better lighting.

• diyher

thanks Linda :) looking forward to photos

• Linda M

On bottom I used trim Riveria Linea also by Sonoma tile. Not on website but was on sample board at tile shop with the Pure field tile Natural color.

• Linda M

Tile looks beige in photos but it is really bone.

• diyher
    very pretty. your cabinet color is close to what the base cabinets on the L-Shaped section of my kitchen. the uppers. island and one whole wall of cabinets is Sherwin Williams antique white. Mine are cherry wood from Conestoga wood I bought unfinished and stained medium Walnut. we are are a bit further along since this photo was taken
  • kmszabo

slewisoh - love your hardwood floor stain. Do you mind sharing?

• diyher

sorry, just saw your question now slewisoh, it's not hardwood :) it's a porcelain wood look tile, the brand Tabula Cappuccino Wood Plank Porcelain Tile
    6"x40"
    https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcelain-tile/tabula-cappuccino-wood-plank-porcelain-tile-100013713.html

• diyher

here is a closer photo of the Soprano counter we used in our powder room with the biscuit colored sink off the foyer.

bathroom · More Info

• Cher

Hello all. I realize it is now one year later, but I wondered, of those who put Soprano in their kitchen, did you have any qualms that it may look like more appropriate as a "bathroom" type of pattern? I was looking at Soprano in Home Depot and the salesperson mentioned this to me when I told him I was looking at it for my kitchen. Of course this is now sticking in my head....

Cheryl

• slewisoh

Not at all. I only wish I had the budget to use it everywhere, not just the island.

• Cher

Thanks for the quick responses. It is so hard to pick from photos of it installed. In some pics it looks white based and in others it looks creamy. I guess at some point I just have to pull the trigger! Thanks, Cheryl

• Cher

diyher: I also am using an antique white. Your picture above helps!

• Cher

RJ: Your kitchen is gorgeous!

• R J
    I would say it is definitely creamy, that is why we went with it. It was the creamiest quartz we could find that didn't read beige and still had some cool grey veining in it.
  • Linda M

I love it! So happy I picked Soprano. I have it on both counters and large island. Had it 2 years now and everyone that comes in loves it too! I always was told white is for bathrooms. It's bone-- not stark white and not "yellow /beige". My cabinets are medium/dark cherry and the trim and doors are white--and it blends beautifully. Walls are very pale muted yellow. I wanted a "classic" look. The young man that is installed the backsplash said 3 times --this is a beautiful kitchen! I have a beige tile floor- Armstrong Beached Sand luxury vinyl. Thought I was going to use wood but with the dark cabinets looked too much like a ski lodge---very happy with the look.

• kcoqsmom

I just redid my kitchen using the Soprano. We're thrilled with it. We had our oak cabinets painted black. Have all stainless appliances with black accents. The island pendants are black with brushed gold inside the shade. All the pulls and handles are brushed gold as well. The counters play beautifully with the black and are warm enough to make it not seem stark. Our floors are wide plank natural oak. The warmer flecks of beige play up the floors. Today they installed the counters and next week the back splash goes in. I feel like I made a terrific choice with the Soprano.

• Cher

kcoqsmom: Your kitchen sounds wonderful. Are you able to send any pics? I am angsting over the Soprano v. Taj Mahal quartzite.

Valley Window Fashions

I am thinking of soprano for my kitchen too. I keep thinking pattern reminds me of the poor mans marble, cultured marble. But i Love the soft white creamy background and it appears in the pics to have muted towns of soft gold, grey and Carmel/brown. My cabinets are a soft white with light chestnut inlay, island in chestnut (aka ordered, not installed). I am doing brushed gold hardware....can’t decide over statuario nuvo or soprano. I feel like my piece of soprano is bad representation. Thanks all

• Cher

I am so glad you added the photo. It helps to see it all together like that. One thing I keep telling myself is that the two I've narrowed it down to are so much alike that I can't go too wrong!
    But telling myself that and actually pulling the trigger to make a choice are two different things. From the photo you have, I would say the same, either one will be beautiful. You just have to decide which will make you happier every time you walk in the kitchen..."softer" look (Soprano) vs not as "soft" (Statuario). The brushed gold hardware is the icing on the cake!

How soon are you making a decision?

Valley Window Fashions

I definitely decided on the soprano because it is softer. Thank you Cher!

Valley Window Fashions

Cher, i haven’t seen Taj Mahal. Which did you decide on?

• Linda M

I think you will be much happier with the Soprano. It will look great with the chestnut inlay. I don't like dark veins and the Statuario is nice but too dark and stark white for chestnut. When you see the entire slab of the Soparano you will know you picked the right one!

• kcoqsmom

It's not finished. Here's a quick pic