Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frittsb3825

Patio roof dilemma

B F
7 years ago
Original brick patio flooring and wrought ironing framing that we don't want to get rid of, but also don't want to put up a canvas cover that would block out all the sunlight from the windows again.
Been thinking about either:
1. Clear polycarbonate roofing panels would let light through, but may not look too great after 3-4 years.
2. Running more matching strips across the frame to create a checkered patterned pergola. South east climate, would probably run honeysuckle or some type of light ivy.
3. Some combination of the above, roofing over half and pergola over other.
My main concern is whether or not to go the roofing route just to keep water off the brick flooring that has already unevened quite a bit.
What are your thoughts? Option 1, 2, 3, or none of the above?

Comments (11)

• Tootsie
    7 years ago
    I wouldn't invest a lot of time, energy or $$$ in this. The brick needs to be reset or eliminated. The awning is probably as old as the house. Is it stable? Poly panels are difficult. What kind of drainage would they have? Lots of rain water will come off them. That's probably why the bricks are so cattywampis... have you considered canvas sails?
  • B F
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the comments. It sits facing south east and is in South Carolina, relatively dry seasons and sandy soil, that's why the bricks have moved so much. That and they're 50 years old. It was a canvas cover over top previously, but it prevented a lot of sunlight from entering the exterior windows, which id like to avoid if at all possible.

Resetting the brick is really out of the question, more time and money then I would like to spend. The frame is still solid and stable, it's true wrought iron. Drainage is a good point, I do need to consider a possible gutter system

I'm
  • apple_pie_order
    7 years ago

I suggest shadecloth for a year. Try several types to see what degree of shade you prefer in summer. It can be removed in winter to let the sun into the windows. It can be installed to leave an open 1-3 foot gap between house and shade structure which will give you a lot more light inside the house. In the meantime, you can add a small test piece of Lexan to see how cloudy, yellow, and scratched it gets in a year.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

If the ground under the pavers had been properly prepared with crushed stone, sand and compacted, it would still be in pretty good shape. As it is now it has to be completely removed, prepared and relayed.

That framework looks old and terrible.

Just install the retractable awning and be done with it. This way you can keep all the light you need and cover the patio when needed without any supports on the ground. These awnings can extend out quite a bit.

• hatetoshop
    7 years ago

Depending on how stable it is, you might try something like this. But I do like Apple Pie Order's idea too.

• PRO
    Bill's Creative Carpentry, Custom Builder
    7 years ago
    I wouldn't try to put poly carb panels up, not sure if structure would hold them besides you would need cross pieces so u could mount them every 16-24"...def. wouldn't do traditional roof unless u reframe structure.
    If u don't want canvas u could try bamboo fencing, HD used to sell in rolls 6' wide could wire it to structure.
    I like vine method better- maybe grape? Honey suckle would work but it gets crazy, or could try trumpet vine, gets trumpet shaped flowers in red.
    If u go this route I would use a heavy twine or metal suspending line and go across top of stringers to make smaller spaces. Could even use lattice to cover top for vines to grow on.
  • PRO
    Bill's Creative Carpentry, Custom Builder
    7 years ago
    Also, would clean joints of brick and maybe sweep in new sand, or colored sand, would clean up a little.
  • felizlady
    7 years ago
    I have been thinking of a polycarbonate roof over my patio, too. It doesn't have to be crystal clear...maybe a soft clear grayish or beige tone would not show dirt...and rain may help keep it clean. I also like the vine idea, but it would not allow you to use the space when it rains. You could go half-and-half with the polycarbonate covering the half toward the house and the vines growing to cover the half away from the house, but you would need to trim the vines so they don't cover everything. Houzz has quite a few photos and info on polycarbonate roofing.
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    How about canvas or clematis?
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Or wisteria