Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
along003

Landscape Ideas?

Autumn Long
7 years ago
Hello friends! My husband and I have tore out our old landscaping in front of our porch, however we are now unsure how to proceed. We are replacing the lattice around the bottom of the porch, and the porch will eventually be repainted from the red to a deep grey or something similar. However the landscaping is really confusing us as to what would look best. We don't want a railing as the porch is quite low, so we thought perhaps some three or four foot high shrubs to serve as a type of railing?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (9)

• drae65
    7 years ago

This photo shows boxwoods and hydrangeas-they look great together. It would be helpful to know where your are and your zone. Do you want low maintenance or do you like gardening? I'm jealous of your porch.

Modern Family Garden · More Info

• Autumn Long
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you both! I am so sorry I didn't even think to mention perhaps the most relevant piece of info haha! we are in Southeast Tennessee, Zone 7a.

The beds get a generous dose of sun throughout the day, so anything that can tolerate full to partial sun would likely be best. We do have two trees out from the house that intermittently shade the area, depending on time of year and day.

My husband despises boxwood, unfortunately. We think what was there before was a type of boxwood (air have added a picture of the before). However he also doesn't care much for unkempt looking shrubs like Juniper. We did look at some Dwarf Alberta Spruces, but didn't know if that would really 'go'.

One of our biggest problems is the idea of layering plants. Obviously we get the concept and can look at pictures of it done elsewhere, we just have major issues trying to figure out how to do it ourselves.
  • Autumn Long
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    As an addendum, I do enjoy gardening very much!

Also, we are planning on getting some soil into those beds to make them a bit healthier!
  • drae65
    7 years ago

How can someone despise boxwoods? :) how dare he! If those are boxwoods that you removed they were not very well pruned. You are out of my area of expertise so hopefully a professional will help you out. You could hire a landscape professional to draw up some plans for the front of the house-probably would not cost much and would save you from making mistakes that cost time and money. Then you could experiment as you get more experience in the back yard. I recommend some native flowers for the butterflies and bees-Good luck!

• gustaviatex
    7 years ago

I am not fond of any shrub that requires regular pruning or shearing. And that includes boxwood. You are out of my zone so I dont have any specific recommendations. I'd check into ground covers for the biggest part of the beds with a few low-maintenance perineals or bulbs for color interest. Keep it simple. Grow some vines up the porch posts.

• Autumn Long
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you all! We would rather not pay someone to come as it isn't really in the budget to do that with the front plus a few other projects we have underway.

Would it make sense to almost plant a type of row of hedges along the porch as the background and then in front do flowers and ground cover? Or should we use a couple of wide spreading shrubs plus flowers and such?
  • threers
    7 years ago

Go to a local nursery. See what plants look good to you. Think about these issues: how tall and wide will the plants be when they are mature? Do you want them to be evergreen? How will you water them? irrigation?by hose? Ask for help at the nursery. Home Depot and Lowe's Home Improvement usually have some staff who know plants. Their advice is free. As you mention, an evergreen hedge with some flowering small bushes ( maybe gumpo azaleas) in front and annual or perennial flowers in front of the small bushes would be a good looking pattern. Most states have gardening/horticultural websites with this kind of info. Good luck.

• chloebud
    7 years ago

Cute house! Yes...go to a local nursery with the photos you posted here. Most should be happy to help in hopes you'll purchase from them.

Darn...boxwood would work nicely. Lots of other choices.