Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mare_ginis

48 inch, cooktop/double, or 36 inch with separate single

Mare
7 years ago
We are beginning the remodel process this week by meeting with a designer but before we do, I'd like to hear some experiences with ovens. I would really like 2 ovens, but I don't know how or where it would work or what would be best (I'm sure the designer will lead me in the right direction but in the meantime...) I love the look of 48 inch ranges but is my kitchen too small? Also can you cook things at different temperatures? All the holidays are at my house so I need to use different temperatures. Then there is the option of a 36 inch cooktop and stacked double oven by my fridge (I'm ok with reducing my pantry) I don't think it is cool looking as the 48 inch but I like the idea of me cooking on the cooktop and my mom or mother in law using ovens somewhere else. Christmas feels like 2-3 pigs wrestling in the mud pit. Another option I was thinking was a36 inch range then a 27 inch oven somewhere else. Any feedback and or pictures would be great!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Your kitchen is too small for anything but a 30" range. I have this one with 5 burners and the oven gives me the option of two ovens or just one. Very versatile and is available in gas.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

bump

• User
    7 years ago

A commercial grade cooking system requires a commercial grade exhaust. Plus Make Up Air. Expect the complete ventilation system to cost as much, or more, as the cooking appliances that you choose.

I don't see a 48" range working at all well in that small kitchen. Not if you want people o have room to work in it too. A double oven range, with a MW convection oven elsewhere would give more than enough cooking capacity.

• Mare
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    What about a 36 inch range? Would that work and maybe a small wall oven somewhere else?
  • shirlpp
    7 years ago

The 48" range is out. What about putting the 2 wall ovens right next to your current range to the right. You'd keep your cooktop in the island, and would not lose much counter space. Of course, you'd replace your current range with a cabinet.

• Mare
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So you mean a 36 inch cooktop and wall ovens next to it or you mean just a cooktop on the island and stacked ovens at the end? That could definitely work. I kind of like the idea

If we do go with a 36 inch range do you think the kitchen is big enough for that?
  • smitrovich
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You definitely need to get a designer in there to look at your current configuration and recommend a better layout. It would drive me crazy to have the fridge on the other side of the kitchen like that.

I think you could do a 5 burner 36" cooktop on the island, but you would need to enlarge it (minimum 8'x3.5'... if you could do 8'x4' that would be even better). It does look like you have the space for a larger island. Also, I don't see any ventilation for the island cooktop, so you probably need to have a downdraft installed.

Regarding the oven, I would do a double stack. It sounds like they would both get used.

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

I recently renovated my kitchen. We have all holidays at our house and since the reno, there is lots of room for everyone.

1. NO seating at the island. Causes a huge logjam. Plus, it is redundant because less than 8' away is a table with chairs.

2. Remove microwave from above the stove. No one can help you if they have to move over you to get to the microwave.

3. A double oven all in one range. I have the Maytag Gemini and I love it. I can have 2 different temps and I have lots of room. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maytag-Gemini-6-7-cu-ft-Double-Oven-Electric-Range-with-Self-Cleaning-Convection-Oven-in-Stainless-Steel-MET8720DS/205311247

4. IMHO, remove the cooktop from the island. You have no place to place things that you remove from the fridge, which causes a huge log jam if they cannot use the island to put things on.

5. Find a place to make a "drink" station. A place where people can get a drink with out getting in your way in the kitchen.

6. Make sure there is at least 42" between the island and the dishwasher and if you have seating at the island 60" between the island and the refrigerator.

7. Can you make the island longer, so it is even with the wall cabinets? Mine is 2'x 66".

8. Can you make the pantry a bit smaller and add a base cabinet, countertop and upper cabinet to move people out of the main part of the kitchen and they can get a drink without getting in your way?

Visit my home page to see my kitchen reno if you choose. It is in my idea books under Kathi_Steele's ideas.

• Mare
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Haha I never thought of the fridge I guess I'm used to it being there. I'll see what she has to say about that. I like the idea of cooktop island and stacked oven at the end. Either that or a 36 inch range. It's big enough for a 36 range right?
  • Mare
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh yes the island cooktop was here when we moved in I don't think I've ever used it
  • Mare
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I like the drink station idea!
  • shirlpp
    7 years ago

I was thinking to use that area where you have your range and microwave and the cabinets next to it at the right.

It looks like 36" would be fine.

I've had double wall ovens in my condo(owned it for 10 years), and my home(12 years old), with cooktops. I can never go back to a range. It is so convenient. We made a turkey breast(3 hrs to cook) for Sunday's dinner and used the other oven to cook a starch.

• smitrovich
    7 years ago

It's hard to say without dimensions, but from the pictures, it looks like you have room for a 36".

• shirlpp
    7 years ago

If you keep the fridge where it is, you can add some upper cabinets for storage.

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

No, I don't think it is big enough for a 36". Be sure and have them center the range on the wall, instead of being off center like it is now. If you go with 36", you lose the ability to get a range with double ovens. And if you want 2 ovens, then you will have to plan more space for them.

• holly98
    7 years ago

A cooktop on an island is a fire waiting to happen, especially if you have children who use the island. Also, grease spatters go EVERYWHERE.

• Mare
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The wall where the range is currently is 10 ft
  • Mare
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ok eeeeks I don't like the idea of a fire or grease everywhere
  • mamadada
    7 years ago
    I have had my cooktop on my island for 19 years! 2 different ones. Not one fire. People come over and say they love to watch us cook. Consider Bosch appliances. Love love love all of mine. Especially the wall oven. Largest window on the market.
  • Dawn Y
    7 years ago
    I have a cooktop in my island for 22 years now and I love it. It's great if you entertain b/c everyone's in the kitchen. This way when I'm making risotto I can still face everyone and be part of the party. We have a downdraft which catches a lot of any "splatters". Then my wall ovens are in the perimeter of my kitchen like yours would be. I love the look of built in ovens versus a range as well. Good luck whatever you decide!!
  • smitrovich
    7 years ago

I'm currently building, and like mama dada, I'm doing Bosch appliances with a built-in oven stack and cooktop on the island. For me, I wouldn't want the cooktop facing the wall for the same reason as mama dada and Dawn Y—I like to entertain and be part of the conversation while I cook the meal. Splatters are going to happen regardless of where the cooktop is located and I don't believe there are any facts to support that island cooktops are more prone to fire.

• User
    7 years ago

They aren't more prone to fire, but they ARE more prone to burning friends and family, and coating the kitchen with muck because of the usual inadequate gawdawful downdraft. Cooking is only 10% of the time spent in a kitchen. Prep is 70%. A social island is one that functions as a prep island, not a cooking zone.

• smitrovich
    7 years ago

That might be true for some Sophie Wheeler, but I do my prep work before guests arrive. It's the cooking I do while being social with guests. Never had an issue with muck or burns in my current kitchen, so I don't expect I will in my next. I will say that you do need a rather large island to pull it off, though. OPs is far too small as it is currently.

• calidesign
    7 years ago

I've always liked having double wall ovens and a separate cooktop. I think you have room for them in your kitchen. You can gain space by using taller cupboards to the ceiling and enlarging your island.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!