Dresser Vanity wood peels !?!

1818 Federal (7bEC)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Bath · More Info

Wood/ Millwork/ Carpentry · More Info

Wood/ Millwork/ Carpentry · More Info

Hello all,

How do we stop this NEW bath vanity from peeling from daily sink use?

Comments (8)

• einportlandor
    7 years ago

I think I'd be contacting the manufacturer. You must be frustrated!

• 1818 Federal (7bEC)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It is 2 years old. Still "new" to us. It was contractor supplied, so no there is no manufacturer to contact. Moreover, It's cost prohibitive to remove.

Lowes adviced to stain it. After 2 attempts, its not 100% coverage.

My question: with the popularity of this "dresser vanity" style, they're made out of wood that is just veneer?

• Tems
    7 years ago

Obviously this vanity cannot handle water very well. It appears it requires very meticulous sink use.

• Susan Davis
    7 years ago

It is not veneer, but I think it is a plastic resin that is probably reacting to the sunlight? I have a cabinet that is doing the same thing, and I just sand down the flaky paint/finish and stain/ paint the light parts...it is what it is, and if it had been wood veneer it would have been well over $2,000 for that large piece and the humidity of a bathroom is not the best idea for veneer in the first place.

You could call your contractor and have one of his subs sand it down and give it a new spray paint finish or have him replace it....two years isn't very long. Or take him to court, small claims could get it repaired I think. You have some options but sadly it doesn't cure your frustration and sadness at this lovely bathroom deteriorating. I feel for you.

• 1818 Federal (7bEC)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Correct - it doesnt handle water well. and yes - a similar 60 incher is over $2k (Lowes). I never thought of a "Plastic resin" finish, or it reacting to sun.

Contractor: isnt available (sigh), so court would be uphill negative energy.

Susan, where is your cabinet?

Thanks all ... I will look into Spray painting and/or stain

• User
    7 years ago

Cheepchinesecrapola with a tinted varnish overcoat to hide the rubber wood or mango wood underneath is what you get for only 2K. Now the tinted varnish is coming off, and you cant prevent that. Kludging it will never work long term. It needs to be replaced. Something of actual quality, with a KCMA durable finish, will be 3-5x that 2K. Plus the labor to demo and install new, plus the new counter.

• teamaltese
    7 years ago
    I agree with Sophie, bite the bullet and redo. If you really want this type of vanity, talk to a cabinet maker about retrofitting a vintage or antique dresser, real wood. You'll have an amazing vanity, that no one else has.