Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amakingspace

Need HELP with hardwood floor stain and finish!

A Makingspace
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are in the midst of installing hardwood floors (dining, living rooms) and refinishing those in our kitchen so they all match.

(1) What finish--satin or semi-gloss? Our hardwood guy recommends semi-gloss. We have three little kids and two cats. I want them looking good as long as possible! I want a modern, clean look. I like a little shine but not fake and bowling alley. Helllllppppp!

(2) Also, which stain seems like the best not-too-dark-not-too-light-not-too-yellow-not-too-red? (We have 90s oak trim--I hate the orange tint of it, but it's what I have to work with, so it has to at least work with this tone)

I would seriously appreciate any and all help.

Comments (24)

• A Makingspace
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also to mention I need to figure this out ASAP so would really love come input!

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Satin finish, no stain. Don't compound the problem of the wood trim color you don't like by making more of anything that color.

• virginia lynn
    6 years ago

I had my floor installed about a year ago. I was told at that time the semi-gloss will show scratches more than satin so we went with statin with no stain just natural white oak love them.

• just_jls
    6 years ago
    What colour are your kitchen cupboards? I like the one at the bottom of the picture for not orange not yellow. some may find it a bit dark though. I'd consider natural if you want light.
  • smileythecat
    6 years ago
    • Bottom one, you might want to go a little darker as well, red oak will have a slightly rose tint. Satin is the way to go.
  • A Makingspace
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks all. Kitchen cupboards are currently oak, but we eventually will paint them white. Our kitchen floors prior to sanding didn't have a stain, and read kinda orangey, so I do think we may want a stain.

• A Makingspace
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like the darker one too, but I'm just worried it might not look right with the oak trim and such? Plus, it might show more cat hair and stuff? I don't know. I am really stressing out about this. Here is another picture.

• smileythecat
    6 years ago

You could paint the trim out white, actually stuff doesn't show up as much on a darker surface, I just had this done btw, remove all trim in there and paint white. It will look good.

• A Makingspace
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'd love to eventually but realistically it would have to be way down the road. Our doors, mantle, trim, window, etc - all oak - and would take forever. I agree it would look better.

• A Makingspace
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Other thoughts? On best classic stain (not too light, dark, red or orange) and best finish-- satin or semi-gloss? Will satin look dull over time?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

you have red oak floors. if you plan on painting trim down the line, then you won't have to pick the orang-y tone. If you start w/the trim a little at a time, you could be done in a few months, realistically. easy enough to do.

so, with that in mind, I like the one on top-middle. or the top far right. I think if you did a satin, you would see less scratches. kids and animals will ruin any type of glossy finish.

Satin won't look dull, but it will wear. get in the habit of not wearing your shoes in the house.

do not use murphy's soap or any oil cleaner on your floors.

And I hope you aren't using Minwax!

• A Makingspace
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's not minwax. Our hardwood guy mixes his own stain until you get color you can want. We had to settle color this evening. I chose one of the middle ones above. So nervous. Isn't this supposed to be fun?!?

still unsure of satin. I keep reading it's good but I do like a little shine ? Ugh

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

lol. well, why don't you have him do the first coat in satin and see how you like it. if you don't , he can do the next coats in the glossy.

• A Makingspace
    Original Author
    6 years ago

How do this compares to those?

• A Makingspace
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also what finish did you use? Satin?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

provincial is pretty close to yours. maybe a tad darker, but not much. I think what you have is a good medium color.

remember, darker floors show more dust and dirt. shinier floors reflect more light which shows more dust and dirt. so if this bothers you, consider that . glossy floors show all the scratches and nicks.

this is a semi gloss on medium stained floors. very similar to yours.

• A Makingspace
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you think this is dark? As in will

show more dust and dirt?

• A Makingspace
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hmm. That looks a little too dark. Ugh. Maybe I should go lighter

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I think the stain you picked looks just like the example above. maybe a smidge lighter. I don't think you need to go lighter. it's a good shade.

• A Makingspace
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks. He starts staining in the morning and I am second guessing everything

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

it's normal. go with your first instinct.

• A Makingspace
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Looking at the picture you posted though feels too dark for us. So I am worried.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

it's just a pic, gauged on your pics. I do think your stain is a shade lighter. maybe have him do it first on a spot that will be covered w/furniture so you can see it better.

A Makingspace thanked Beth H. :