Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancya925

Porcelain tile or wood look porcelain tile for main floor

nancya925
11 years ago
We are placing the ugly ceramic tile in our boca Raton home. We are debating between lovely light creamy and beige porcelain tile OR porcelain tile that looks like wood. We don't want floors that have to be maintained as we have a large german shepherd, which is why we would use wood porcelain tile. I can't decide which look to go for.... It's floor is open from entranceway, living room, dining room, family room and kitchen.

Comments (17)

• qam999
    11 years ago
    Both are lovely.

To make a choice, I would look at surrounding floors and decor generally.
  • kro9o
    11 years ago
    The beige is lovely, but if its a lot of flooring and open space it may be a little "cold". You will need to add rugs and paint color plus accessories. The wood will be more homey. So, I think, it's a matter of choice and taste.
  • PRO
    McCabe By Design LLC
    11 years ago
    Both look like excellent choices given the other elements. The wood look alike is likely to be more expensive but also dramatic allowing the painted cabinets to pop. The porcelain tile is very soothing and cool for a warm weather climate.
  • User
    11 years ago
    I like the creamy porcelain tile. It looks great with your cabinets, counter and wall color and provides a beautiful neutral backdrop for any color accent you might use. I know the wood-look tile is really big now, but I can't get over the nagging feeling that it will become the floor that everyone wants to remove in ten years.
  • Dirt Digger
    11 years ago
    Whichever you choose, make the upgrade to epoxy grout for stain resistance...it is awesome!
  • PRO
    Tri Star Builders
    11 years ago
    The porcelain tiles that look like wood is the way to go. The wood look has a nice contrast to your cabinets and won't look dated in years to come. The wood floor look will make your cabinets and granite stand out more due to the contrast . 100% wood floor look
  • Margaret Phillips
    11 years ago
    Wood look alike,goes with everything and any style.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Without knowing what is on the floors that adjoin the kitchen it is impossible, IMO, to make a recommendation. Both choices have the potential to look lovely. But I wouldn't put the wood-look porcelain tile butting up against a real hardwood floor.
  • PRO
    TileWorks
    11 years ago
    We've completed many wood look alike tile floor projects. Most of the time it has a terribly cheesy feel to it so be careful.
  • PRO
    Granite Grannies
    11 years ago
    Wood like alike!
  • User
    11 years ago
    People seem to think each decades go-to paint colors, products and looks are new, exciting and ever so innovative and cool and couldn't possibly ever be dated...tile is not easy to change like paint color or upholstery.
  • PRO
    Dutchess County Tile
    9 years ago
    I am installing a lot of porcelain wood look tiles , I love them, very durable last forever
    Good luck
  • girlfreiday
    9 years ago

Hello... I'm trying to make the same decision and live in West Palm... Would you mind sharing the tile names / brands and the stores you found them in? Thx!

• hayleydaniels
    9 years ago

This is almost 2 years old....

• PRO
    Frediani Custom Tile, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Whenever in doubt go with the more conservative choice. Beige is definitely the most conservative color. The new beige / creamy tile does not look that different from what you have , is it worth changing? If yes maybe cut it down to three sizes and set them 1/3 offset to change it up. I like the wood looking tile when it is high quality (grain pattern not to repetitive), and it is set randomly like hard wood floors not in a grid pattern. Photo is my kitchen floor we have a dog and sand dunes out front door, no maintenance required.
  • Kristina Oakes
    last year

Could you tell me what the name of that tile color and brand is?