Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kai_breinholt

Steel Pergola question...to concrete or not?

Kai Breinholt
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all.

Long time viewer, first time poster.

I've read more opinions on this than I can even recount and still cannot find an answer that will satisfy my wife.

I'm building a custom pergola out of 3" diameter 1/4" thick oil rig drilling pipe. In addition to the concerns about weight, rust and welding (which I think I have handled) I really don't want to have to CONCRETE the poles.

This pergola will be 24' x 20' and 10' in height. I will have 9 posts total. Four corners, 1 in the middle of each 20' section, 1 middle for 24' section and 2 on the other side. The side with 4 posts will have trellises on the side sections with open in the middle for pass through.

I have cut 13" sections of pipe and am welding three of them together (like a cloverleaf) for the posts. You can see in the attached photos what I am trying to make, but in a rectangle instead of circle.

The welding is going very nicely (I LOVE my new mig welder) but the next step is planting the posts. I plan to put 3' in the ground for 10' above ground height.

So, my question is this: Do I need to CONCRETE the holes? I have read much on this but most deal with either WOOD (with concerns for water retention/rot) or are about FENCE or GATE posts which will have lateral tension issues.

I live in Arizona. We have a fair amount of sand, clay and caliche in the ground so I'm not very worried about moisture buildup. Especially since it's carbon steel 1/4" thick I'm not worried about rust-out in our lifetime.

I want to dig 3' 4" holes, fill with 4" compacted gravel, then about a foot of dirt, then 4 more inches of gravel compacted then finish off with dirt.

This should take care of any concerns of water retention or grounding.

Should I worry about concrete? We are not doing a swing, and pergola will not be attached to the house. It's just 9 poles, about 5.5" total diameter and each weighs about 200 lbs.

Thank you for reading this far and thank you in advance for any answers/advice.

Kai

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    7 years ago

is that pic from the DBG?

What you're fighting against with any outdoor structure are uplift and racking (lateral movement). There shouldn't be much uplift on an open-roof structure, but we're still required to consider it.

Lateral movement is the killer. In your inspiration photo I'm not seeing any angle bracing between the posts and the beams, which leads me to believe that the posts are buried deeper than 3' and probably in concrete. I'd bet money that those posts are at *least* 5 ft deep, or else the plans were certified by a structural engineer and signed off on at the end.

Awesome looking inspiration piece. You're now obligated to share pics when you're done - sorry, I don't make the rules!

Kai Breinholt thanked Revolutionary Gardens
  • nuthinontv
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Let me make it clear: I'm not a structural engineer so can't answer regarding the project pictured here. And this is more likely an engineering question specifically. Without a diagram I can't really grasp the design portion of this but here goes anyway: The sheer weight of the structure would likely hold it in place but I would still pin it to Terra firma via a hidden fastening system within the pipe itself. Why not create footings at each post, or even every other one (with sona tubes sunk 4' min. and filled with concrete) Then before the concrete has set you will set your hidden fastener within the wet concrete (making sure its corrosion resistant metal/steel). The fastener would then slide into its post and pinned/fastened on the exterior somewhere unobtrusive. Tying it to the ground should then eliminate any worry of the thing shifting. And by using an internal connection system you are NOT sinking your posts directly into concrete as well. In effect that makes it possible to pick up and move at the end of the day should you need to down the road.

PS: good point about the bracing! I would factor that into your design def. if you don't opt for the above. But do get some professional advice on this!

Then once you have done all that come over to my place and build me one just like it, kay!?

Kai Breinholt thanked nuthinontv