Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Lacking closet space in new house!

karyn
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We're moving into a new house and have realized the design is missing a couple important elements - coat closet and linen closet! Coming from a much larger house with tons of storage this presents a challenge. Repurposing old armoire/wardrobes might be one way to add space - but they also take up lots of space. :-( We're even lacking the place to put vacuum cleaners as well. The only good news - high ceilings throughout so maybe adding upper closet shelving to access with a ladder would work. Other ideas?

Comments (6)

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

2 or 3 feet wide of shelving in the master walk-in closet would suffice for a linen closet. Looks like the den closet was envisioned as a coat closet.

And I agree about the purge. We moved last year, and I think I got rid of 1/2 of everything I owned. How many people in your household? Will all those bedroom closets be filled?

• AnnKH
    7 years ago

I think I'd have to put cabinets above the toilets in all but the master bath, so I'd have a space for an extra towel and toilet paper.

Extra shelving in the closets is a great idea - I've added extra shelves to the closets in my Mom's apartment, and they are very useful for less-used stuff.

I would use the den closet for coats and vacuum. If it is wide enough, you could use coat hooks in the hallway between kitchen and garage.

There are lots of places to find extra storage space! The nook is the upper right corner of the garage is the first spot; depending on the size of the garage, you may be able to put a lot of shelving in there. I built heavy duty shelves above my garage door - I can only get to them when the garage door is closed, but it's great for things I don't need often (like Christmas decorations).

• karyn
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone so far - the nook in the garage is going to be for a fridge. I have 10 full sized shelving units for the garage (which will be 3 car) already but it's mostly inside that's the issue. Under BED is a very good idea - lots of space for big comforters etc. Trust me, we have purged a lot and still working on more - but we have two full offices plus music equipment and photo studio gear so the secondary closets are full. Bedroom 3 will go unused except for guests, so for the interim it's going to be a storeroom until we get settled.

• hcbm
    7 years ago

As a NYC lifetime apartment dweller the idea of a linen or utility closet is a foreign concept. You can conquer the storage issues, but it will take some adjustment and different thinking.

First it looks like you can change the orientation of the den closet so the door opens from the entrance side.

Think about all the empty space in closets. Standard closet poles leave a lot of unused space on the bottom. Consider lowering the pole so the longest hung item just clears the floor and placing adjustable full width shelves right above the pole, making the very top shelves less wide so you can put little used items up above the door frame.

A friend has closet doors that are as tall as her ceilings making every inch of her closets usable. I personally used adjustable full width shelving so that I wouldn't have empty headroom and lowered and raised poles depending on where I wanted shelving.

If you want a separate linen closet you could steal a few feet from the master closet by walling off a few feet on the hall end and adding a door from the hall.

The vacuum can be stored in any closet it does not need to be in a utility closet.

Sometimes I find walk-in closets waste a lot of space, they give you walking space but that doesn't give you more hanging or deep storage space. Sometimes they are deep enough to add a wall of shelves on the back wall and move the poles forward, so that the storage is behind the hanging clothes.

I am wondering what that space is between the foyer and bath 2. If that is an accessible utility space can you store the vacuum in there?

Sorry for the long post, but I truly understand the frustration in dealing with too much stuff and hope you find solutions and enjoy your lovely new home.

• karyn
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We had our walk through today - and they've placed a single closet hanger shelf at about 60" off the ground in the master walk in closet- all the way around! I'll have to get it moved up to 80-84 so it can be doubled at 40-42" in placed for short hanging things (doubling horizontal hanging space) - full length in some places, and then do shelves up to 8-10' high in others which will help immensely. It is probably the best place to capture vertical storage since the ceiling is high and all the walls are accessible.

The space in Bath 2 is a shower. I originally also thought it was dead space at first glance of the plan.

The original master bath was also altered. in this pic you can see there is a long glass shower enclosure. The bath is plenty wide enough to add a full height 4' wide storage cabinet right in front of the glass and still have room to open the doors and walk around with no problem... if we get desperate.