joyfulsu

Kentucky Goosberries VS. O. Little Pink Moonstone

joyfulsu

Hmm. I was told one plant was "Optimara Little Moonstone", but it most certainly isn't. The other plant is Kentucky Gooseberries.

Now, someone tell me which is which? :D They look SO SIMILAR! If O.Little Pink Moonstone turns out to be easier to grow than Gooseberries, I'll be keeping that instead.

• joyfulsu

Bloom pictures. :)

This plant does have more pink blush than the other.

this bloom doesn't have as much pink blush as the other blooms on the same plant.

• Rosie1949

My little Kentucky Gooseberries has a beautiful pinkness to the flowers. Rosie

• Karin

Did you get them from reputable vendors? Just asking, because some people will "identify" a plant and sell it without being 100% sure....

I've not grown little moonstone, and gooseberries didn't last all that long, but the foliage looks about right...

• Rosie1949

Got mine from the Michigan State African Violet Club Sale (Ann Arbor) that I just went to. Have to figure they are pretty credible. Besides I had Kentucky Gooseberries before and they look just the same. Rosie

• joyfulsu

I don't remember where I got Kentucky gooseberries... (The plant with more blooms). The other I got off eBay. I think they are correct... Just really similar. :)

• perle_de_or

I have wondered the same thing. I have both of them. Currently my Opt Little Pink Moonstone is not growing as well as Ky Gooseberries. They do really look alike as Rosie says though.

• irina_co

I would guess that Optimara Little Pink Moonstone is a sport of an Opt. Little Moonstone which has a blue eye, not pink. In this case it is a plant on a right with round scalloped leaves, it is a mini and it grows in a more tight way. Kentucky is a semi-mini and has elongated leaves. The plant is more vigorous and has a loose growth habit. Both plants are excellent, and as any mini or semi - require to be repotted more often. I would prefer to keep true bloomers, not sports if space is of an issue.

joyfulsu thanked irina_co
  • joyfulsu

Irina, you're right. Kentucky Gooseberries is the one with more blooms. O. Little pink moonstone is the one with bigger leaves. So far it seems to be the more robust of the two, and I chose to keep it and moved KG on. I'm really liking how its looking now! Very happy. :)

• perle_de_or

Your OPM is very nice!

joyfulsu thanked perle_de_or
  • Amy

Purty plant!

• patty_del

This is Optimara Pink Moonstone. Not Little. It was created before the little jewel series. It’s a little larger.

• patty_del

I think the color varies by temperature

• irina_co

Agreed. Bicolors with red and with blue depend on the season. Best bloom is in spring and fall.

Gorgeous!