Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sim_scott

Need help: 4 accessories for 3 sink holes

simstress
7 years ago

Hi - I need some help with a kitchen sink dilemma. My setup:

- Kohler Indio 3-hole under-mount cast iron sink (http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Indio-33-x-21-1-8-x-9-3-4-under-mount-Smart-Divide-large-small-double-bowl-kitchen-sink-with-three-hole-faucet-holes/productDetail/kitchen-sinks/427413.htm)

- Grohe single-hole faucet

- air switch for disposal

- air gap for dishwasher

- Kohler DuoStrainer with popup (http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Duostrainer-sink-strainer-with-tailpiece-and-pop-up-drain/productDetail/kitchen-accessories-sink-strainers-disposal-flanges/420277.htm)

As you can count, there are 4 sink accessories, and only 3 sink holes. I am reluctant to drill a hole in the countertop for the 4th accessory. Would you: (a) Install air switch on front of sink cabinet? (b) Lose the Kohler DuoStrainer with popup? (c) Go ahead and drill a single hole in the countertop. (d) Some other option that I haven't yet considered? Thx!

Comments (16)

• Pool Habit
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Just have a normal wall switch for disposer? Or figure out a way to do the dishwasher without an air gap? Worst case lose the strainer.

simstress thanked Pool Habit
  • Lisa G
    7 years ago

I would skip using the DuoStrainer...it seems like more of a novelty item than a really useful thing. I guess if you fill and drain your sink 5 times a day it would be nice (???) but I don't think it's a big deal to reach into the sink. Too many holes in the sink area can look cluttered...and it's more of a pain to wipe around 50 different holes! :)

simstress thanked Lisa G
  • simstress
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Pool Habit: This sink is in the island, so air switch for disposal was a natural choice (only choice?). And I believe the air gap is code because dishwasher is in island.

• Pool Habit
    7 years ago

Got it! I was wondering why we didn't have any of those things! the only thing I do have an extra hole for is the built in soap dispenser. At first it was just to fill a hole when we changed faucets but I like it so much we put it in our new countertop.

simstress thanked Pool Habit
  • bkeithaz
    7 years ago
    Someone in a Houzz advice post once mentioned installing the air switch in the sink toe-kick. Tap of the toe turns the disposal on. Sounded sorta neat, but it was too late in my kitchen reno for me to investigate it further. Don't know if there are any code issues. Just thought I'd mention it.
    simstress thanked bkeithaz
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

I like the idea of putting the air switch in the toe kick, getting rid of the pop up strainer and adding a soap dispenser!

simstress thanked katinparadise
  • simstress
    Original Author
    7 years ago

These are neat ideas! @bkeithaz and @Fred S: No air switch near the floor: If the air switch were near the floor, I could see my kids or the dog/cat playing endlessly with it. And my faucet will have a foot sensor (fancy!) for touchless operation, so I don't want to put another switch near the floor.

No air switch inside cabinet: Our hands will likely be wet while using the disposal. I do not want to open cabinets with wet hands, and I'm pretty certain I'm too lazy to clean/dry my hands each time before opening cabinets to turn on the disposal.

Thinking back, one of my original thoughts to mount the air switch on the false front of the sink might be a bad idea... because I'm too lazy to dry my hands first before pressing that button.

@Pool Habit and @katinparadise: I haven't considered a soap dispenser mounted in the sink or countertop because my family has a strong preference for foaming soap. Does anyone know of a sink-mounted soap dispenser that dispenses foaming soap? Thx!

• simstress
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Fred S: I forgot to respond to which thing goes in which side. I plan to put the strainer in big bowl (left bowl), and disposal in small bowl (right bowl). If I don't use the strainer with popup, I will use a regular strainer that you pull by hand.

• katinparadise
    7 years ago

I use my soap dispenser for dish soap. Hand soap I just keep on the counter.

simstress thanked katinparadise
  • simstress
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@katinparadise: We also use dish soap that is foaming! Dawn Platinum foaming is our current brand.

• katinparadise
    7 years ago

I see. I don't know if those work in a soap dispenser.

• PRO
    Fairway Style Living
    7 years ago

Simstress - Funny, my mom uses the same Dawn Platinum. I know because it has to sit on her counter, too, and she gets ribbed about it. I'd explore reevaluating if you really must have foaming, since you'll have to look at it more than you might wish in the long term.

I switched from foaming soaps a year ago (Target's method brand) to their traditional formula. Easier to dispense and refill, and no difference noted on the cleaning power - they do require a special aerating pump head that most dispensers don't support. YMMV, but something to consider. Cheers!

• Casandra383 Dean
    7 years ago
    The air gap for the dishwasher can be installed under the cabinet. Mine is in the island and the only holes are for the faucet and soap dispenser. (Undermount sink)
  • User
    7 years ago

There are a few different plumbing codes in the US. Some require an air gap. If they require an air gap, it is generally required to be above the overflow level of the sink. Otherwise, they can have water coming out of them when draining a full sink with a partially clogged drain or disposal, which could ruin the cabinets or flooring. You may just have a "high loop", or integral back flow preventer at the top backside of the dishwasher.

• simstress
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    A quick update: Thx for the input, everyone! Of the 4 accessories, the 3 winners are single-hole faucet, air switch, air gap. I deleted the pop-up strainer. Instead, I'll have a regular basket strainer along with a sign for my MIL that reads, "Please refrain from putting knives into soapy water." ;)