Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kendralh

Please Help!! I Hate My Master Bathroom!! Possible Floor Plan Change?

kendralh
6 years ago

Hi!

We're remodeling our home (early 1980's), and the thing I hate most about it is the master bathroom. The bathrooms were the only thing the previous owner updated, so it's one of the few rooms in the house that doesn't strictly neeeeed an update. The shower enclosure is gross, though, and we will be either replacing it with a newer enclosure or with a tiled shower, depending on cost.

The real problem with the bathroom is that is feels cramped and awkward and uncomfortable and is next to impossible to share with two people. Luckily, it's right next to (non-load bearing wall) a closet that is HUGE (7'2" X 7'9.5")-- almost awkwardly huge given that the entire house is only 1600 sf (it's almost the size of the 3rd bedroom). We don't need that much closet space, and I would rather have a workable bathroom.

The closet currently has walls built in to make a wall closet along the outer edge of the closet room.. it's difficult to explain but robs functionality and space from that large closet, so I'm going to remove those walls and make it a true walk-in. Because of that, I'll have to make a small patch on the bathroom/closet wall and on the bedroom/closet wall. Will also be removing popcorn in the bedroom and closet then installing new flooring, so I'm already planning on some mud/tape/texture/paint.

I don't want to spend a fortune or too much time/effort to re do it if it's not going to add a whole lot of improvement. I'm planning on staying in my home another 3-5 years, so though I don't want to be uncomfortable for that whole time, return on investment does factor into my decision. Possibly important: I purchased the home before I met my SO, and he isn't the biggest fan of the house in general-- he doesn't like tri-levels and thinks it's too small. If he had his way, we'd sell it as-is and start fresh, but I do love it and feel strongly about staying for a few more years and finishing the remodel I started (done: new main level floor plan, main + lower level floors, completely gutted kitchen, de-popcorned main + lower levels, upcoming: bedrooms popcorn + floors, laundry room floors, new doors whole house, new trim whole house, and this post!)

We don't have any kids, so we could easily sleep in another bedroom and use another bathroom while we complete whichever remodels we end up doing. We're pretty handy and will do most of it ourselves, but both work full time so we're planning to hire someone to do mud/tape/texture, and are considering hiring someone to do tile work.

This is the lay out of my master as-is (except I dimensioned the closet width incorrectly). The closet dimensions are 7'2" X 7'9.5". The opening (no door or arch) is 3'6" away from the left hand wall of the closet, and 12.5" away from the right hand wall of the closet.

I am not sure why there is that square "bonus wall" next to the toilet/shower-- on the other side of it is the 2nd bathroom toilet. My honest best guess is that the developer bought that shower for the entire developement and the other floor plans had a space that fit it properly while this one didn't, so they just fudged it to avoid buying new showers for this floor plan-- there's a lot of shortcuts like that I've noticed in this house. But it's also possible that plumbing for the upstairs comes up from the downstairs through that space (note: there aren't any similar weird bulges downstairs)

Please help me!!! I'm not sure if it's worth it to try to reconfigure the bathroom, which would tear out flooring/vanity that was updated right before I bought the house and seems sort of like a waste from a resale point of view. But every morning we compete for space and have to start our days in that bathroom which sucks! Half the time I end up hauling all my things to the guest bath.

I'd love opinions on how to fix it, and if it's worth it from all sorts of perspectives!

Thank you!

Comments (3)

• kendralh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here's the best pictures I could find of what it looks like now:

You can sort of see the weird walls and closet doors in this photo. Going to tear them out and put in a nicer closet organization system. Not sure if we should put a door on the closet or leave it as-is.

From the closet into the bathroom, with the door wide open. It brings up feelings of hatred even just looking at pictures! Haha. Have replaced the dated fixtures, but it's otherwise untouched.

• kendralh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Every time we talk about options, the amount of work seems to escalate so slowly that it seems impossible to pick the right stopping point. Options we've thrown around (but please, any other ideas or input would be amazing!)

1) Replace the old gross shower enclosure with a new shower enclosure, and don't change anything about the layout-- least amount of work to make the bathroom "updated" and ready to sell. I didn't realize quite how awful the bathroom would be when I bought the house, so maybe other people won't either?

2) Replace old shower with a tiled shower, which includes tearing out the awkward corner square thing and installing new moisture resistant drywall around the shower to make the room feel roomier and more luxurious-- adds work to the bathroom walls, and possible unknown with the corner square

3) Everything from #2 plus moving the door to the bathroom to the middle of the wall, making it a pocket door, and rotating the vanity CCW so it can have more counter space (the entire bottom/left wall - 5 ft long- but will still only have room for 1 sink) -- can use existing plumbing and flooring, but adds removing then rebuilding at least half of the bathroom/ closet wall

4) Everything from #3 plus moving the bathroom/closet wall 12.5" into the closet to help reallocate the unnecessary closet space and alleviate the cramped bathroom-- adds ripping out the existing tile (same as was in the kitchen, it was installed SO securely and wasn't easy to remove), then installing a new floor

5) Everything from #4 plus moving the bedroom/closet entry to the right by 12"-18", which would make the closet have more usable space: 24"-30" on one side for hanging clothes, and 12"-18" on the other for shelving -- adds ripping out and rebuilding a portion of the bedroom/closet wall

6) Tearing out all the walls and starting over, haha. I'd rather not move the toilet plumbing, and moving the least amount of plumbing is definitely preferrable.

Some mock-up things we did of some of the options, but keep in mind that they all have the same issue where I dimensioned the closet incorrectly :)

#3: don't move walls but DO move door and vanity

#4/#5: move the closet/bathroom wall over. Looks mostly how #4 would in reality because of my dimension mistake, but actually includes moving the closed entryway like in #5

#6: I'd probably have to tear up the bathroom floor or upstairs ceiling to move the plumbing for the sink. At that point, should I just completely gut it and move the plumbing wherever works best?

• Michelle Ransom
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What did you end up doing? I'm currently trying to replan a layout too - but what strikes me the most is the advantage to #6 is that I don't have to look at a messy closet everytime I go to the bathroom. I would really dislike that trip -I appreciate not looking at my closet all the time!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional