Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morgan_pratt36

How to make this brown couch work

Mackenzie M
6 years ago

Hi. I'm moving to a condo soon and here is an exact picture of the living room:

i bought a brown L couch from a friend, here is a photo of it in her house.

my goal is to have a very modern living room but I don't know where to begin with that room, and that couch.

area rug? Pillows? Frames? What colour of TV stand?

Thanks guys

Comments (122)

• everdebz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

30 x 60"

I have no idea if your walls need painting, but maybe you could have the soft blue [soft blue-green paint and/or pillows]....

Sesgo Twisted Bowl · More Info

"Sea of Dreams Wood Framed" Oil Painting · More Info
    Frame Table Lamp · More Info

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Posting if you'll go with blue [for another wall] // "Japanese noren are still used for entryways, doorways and windows or for wall decoration at home. Large graphic prints make a bold statement for your space. Rayon/Cotton. Pole not included."

Great Wave Noren 32"X59" · More Info
    Glass Bottle Table Lamps, Blue · More Info

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Or as here, seems square art with 4 surrounding:

Naples Pelican Bay Condo · More Info

• everdebz
    6 years ago

More than 1 of this artist's / 30" square? soft blue walls? This grey would go with chrome.

If you want the ox to greet at the door, same hue about --

"INKD XX" Canvas Art, 30"x30" · More Info
    "Teal Spotted Ox" Canvas Wall Art, 48"x32" · More Info

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Home Goods sells this type -

IMAX Belcove Glass Bowls - Set of 2 - 83160-2 · More Info

Dimond Home Metal Leaf Wall Decor · More Info

• Mackenzie M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree it looks odd with a smaller canvas over the big couch. I'm going to get 3 instead. Also can I still use that art my neighbor gave to me? I still really like it but not sure where I'd place it? Should I get a white coffee table and white TV stand? What colour of throw blanket?

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

You'll be a lot more successful in this room if you use the art to determine your color palette and then stick closely to it. In this case, it would be a lot of blue and a touch of orange and red. Be careful that the blues are not so dark they disappear into the couch.

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago

Bassett Mirror Company Lawton Table Lamp · More Info

Check pier one for lamps. Find a tall blue one for corner of room on that table.

Light Blue Holiday Throw Pillows Cotton Linen 20"x20", Misty Blue · More Info

"Sailing" - Nautical Pillow Blue and White Pillow Beach Decor · More Info

• Mackenzie M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

How about this?? Should I lower the paintings more? I'm going to add light blue pillows

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

That looks much better and the addition of light blue pillows..(you need 3)...will look very soft and pretty...check your art height..the middle of the art should be at 60" from the floor...hang in there you are getting close! Keep adding blue for some depth maybe even a little sparkle with some silver accents.

• KK1000
    6 years ago
    I would go warm colour rather then white
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Stick with the soft palette with your white walls you will be glad you did...here are 2 inspiration images.... kept focused you can do it! I actually really like the soft neutral lamps instead of a color...very pretty!

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

I love the silvery blue and ivory color scheme that HIWE suggested. I would have photoshopped her pillows in but could not find them with a quick search. The pillows, coffee table, and lamps from Pier1. I vote to lower art a tad more:)

Also love this mother-of-pearl cabinet that maybe the right sized tv could sit on...

• KK1000
    6 years ago
    Instead of trying to make this old couch glamorous I would go with industrial look , you need some height in the room so a nice floor lamp behind the couch would look nice a X large wrought iron clock on the wall , timber coffee table with black metal base etc . A simple light fitting above the coffee table would look nice too.
  • KK1000
    6 years ago
    Floor lamp ideas
  • Mackenzie M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much everyone, happy it's finally looking decent! I'll keep updating :)

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

Here are two brown sofas.....I think the longest side of the sofa should be facing the TV for maximum viewing time. But that is just my thing.

Also the simple classic sconces provide light along the length of the sofa and that is a nice touch for reading, close work, etc. And this style is readily available.

The art work over the fireplace seems to be driving the design colors, so if you pic art makes sure it relates to the brown sofa. Then add pillows and a throw that go with the art work too....have one color take up more space than the other accent color; in other words you dont want 2 red and 2 green pillows, but rather 3 red and 1 green, etc. The upholstered stools match a few pillows on the sofa.

East-meets-west in San Francisco's Russian Hill · More Info

Again the art work is dominating the room and leading all the color choices....here the same art is spread across th eroom and the window area is rather small, also the tree adds a bit of drama and tension to the room. Bean bags are fun and casual and fill up the space....note lopsided colored pillows. The colors in the art work are found in the room.

Contemporary Family Room · More Info
    In both rooms there is a lot of brown sofa so you need alot of pillows to cover the real estate and balance out the weight of the sofa........if you add more brown, make it subtle, and use very little of it....you want lots of contrast to counter all the brown. But I am a copyist so I try to follow the rules of a professionally designed room to get a look....

• Mackenzie M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here it is so far. Been so busy working! I will be getting another white and blue pillow so that I have 3 of each! For now just 2 of each. One last question for a coffee table should I be going with white or dark? And do I make the TV stand match it? Round or rectangle coffee table? Thanks you guys! Been such a great help

• Mackenzie M
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Would this table look good?

• everdebz
    6 years ago

I hope grover will be on - her photo, and other posts don't show more pillows than you have currently. You added a throw, yeh! what about a round pillow, like the art?

Do you have more art pieces to add? seems skimpy....

• leelee
    6 years ago

No to the dainty Queen Anne coffee table to go with the behemoth sofa.

Instead of more pillows go for two more pictures like the ones you have there. What you have over the sofa is too small for the wall and the sofa.

• leelee
    6 years ago

Yes, maybe Grover can add one or two more of your circle pictures

• leelee
    6 years ago

Ideally, with light colored walls white pictures might look better with a frame but that would be outrageously expensive.

This is from Pier One 63" x 43" in a frame $187 free shipping I think. Wouldn't that be way bigger than the two you have now? The frame helps it not vanish into the wall color.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Above, a pro posted well-liked items, like the swimming lady... what about a graphic/print item between yours. Either square or rectangular [hung long way horizontally though]:

Keep Calm and Swim On, premium art print (light blue) · More Info

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Good job McKenzie! Little at a time..looks nice..I would not do a white table...I would do a metal and glass round...here are a few ver budget friendly options!:) I didn't check the sizes but would get as big as you can in your budget...best is 32"-36" round.

Mackenzie M thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • KK1000
    6 years ago
    You definitely need a coffee table and a frame on the artwork.
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Says 'wood look' top / W 44" / D 22" / H 16" -- are the 'bolts' touch of industrial.

$114.

Rian Coffee Table · More Info

• everdebz
    6 years ago

I wouldn't be too concerned about frames - your pillows, etc. amount to enough interest, imo that is.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Just if.. you wanted to hang the 2 over to the right above a desk... seems you had... a large metal piece can be found at Home Goods sometimes....

Blooming Tree Branch Wall Decor · More Info

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Just looking through this thread. @leelee...that framed art from Pier One looks like a great possibility!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I think you could add a couple wall candle sconces flanking your art..these are very inexpensive....but check your local Home Goods or if you have a Hobby Lobby..you might find something you like there...this is for a set of 2..

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

See already has her art..I don't think she plans on changing it out she just hung them.

• KK1000
    6 years ago

Love it Jan

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Mackenzie, Jen has the right idea. You need to beef up the art wall and a reclaimed wood table and big plant would go a long way here. With an enormous sectional, you can't get away with a bunch of little stuff. You have to think big.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

You could do a gallery wall and add another color. Etsy has graphic artists that sell instant downloads for $5 - $10 you can print and stick in an Ikea frame. Your canvases would definitely look better framed, but floater frames are expensive.

• rnonwheels
    6 years ago

Make sure your next few pillows have texture (fuzzy, shiny, words printed on them, even old t shirts that you have saved and love) and speak to your quirky side!! It's coming along!

• leelee
    6 years ago

You could easily spend more on the frames than on a whole new picture which is more the right size. 63x 43 $187

I just had a small (maybe 12 x 15) picture framed for $120. It's expensive to frame. Mine was nothing special --rustic.

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago
    If you don't have enough light for indoor plant, an arched or standing lamp where plant was put in would look great there.
  • lostinreno
    6 years ago

Those type of frames are extremely easy to diy.

• tlparks
    6 years ago

I've framed colorful or geometric fabric or Eiffel Tower scrapbook paper or calendar pics of flowers from Hawaii and they turned out really cute.

• partim
    6 years ago

@lostinreno I'd like to know how to diy those frames. "Extremely easy" sounds good to me, but I'm not handy with woodworking tools.

• mslatashanicole1979
    6 years ago
    put light brown pillows or black
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Society6 India Blue Paint I, Throw Pillow, Indoor Cover, 18"x18", Pillow Insert · More Info

• everdebz
    6 years ago

It's like a round pillow:

Blue Beaded Flower Throw Pillows Cover, Art Silk 18x18 Pillow Case, Blue Blast · More Info

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Unbuy the couch and start fresh.
  • lostinreno
    6 years ago

@partim Lots of tutorials around. Could be as simple as gluing 4 straight bits of trims around the edges of your canevas, or if you want to be a bit fancier you can miter the corners.. Or you can try this, still easy, even for a total novice: http://roomfortuesday.com/diy-floating-canvas-frame-2/

• Jen Osborne
    6 years ago

I second Lostinreno, I have framed many canvas for a few dollars using this type of molding:

• KK1000
    6 years ago

Good plant to use is Giant bird of paradise

• lostinreno
    6 years ago

Looking forward to an update Mackenzie ! Lots of great ideas for you here, what are your thoughts ?